Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Carseats in Taxis
1  2  Next

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 12:58 pm
What's the deal with taxis and carseats? If I had to take a taxi and had my two kids with me, I obviously can't shlep two or even one carseat, but the thought of putting my children in a car without carseats makes me Pale.

I hear in NYC it's allowed, but I don't understand why.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:13 pm
I've hardly ever taken a taxi with kids but the thought makes me nervous too. All my kids sit in a car seat/booster. And they will until they reach the age/weight/height limit.

Tehilla

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:16 pm
I've never done it. I feel like the risk is just too great.

GR, maybe I can drive you somewhere sometime?

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:26 pm
Oh, Tehilla, you're so nice! Do you ever go to Boro Park? Twisted Evil

I'm kidding. I know you work during the morning hours, and I would never ask that of you. Smile

Tehilla

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:29 pm
yes sometimes I do go to BP. and sometimes I rearrange my schedule, although I really try to stick to it.

so maybe!

rivkag

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:31 pm
You should never take your child in a taxi without a carseat.
Last year I went into a taxi with my baby and took a carseat with me, someone else that took the taxi with me also had a baby but didn't take a carseat and we had a car accident ( the taxi driver fell asleep) 'B''h nothing bad happened it was a real miracle besides some bruises but her baby fell out of her hands on the floor and had a bad bruise but b''h nothing more but it could have been much much worse.

red sea

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:33 pm
they sell

http://www.onestepahead.com/ca.....85252

or this

http://www.onestepahead.com/ca.....earch

or this (folds in half)

http://www.amazon.com/Compass-.....r=8-4

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:35 pm
If you're asking from a legal POV, public transportation does not require carseats and taxis are considered public transportation... at least that's how it is in Israel.

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:36 pm
rivkag- that's why I don't know why it's legal in NYC. Even on buses I don't understand.

Tehilla- we'll talk about it. On the condition that you let me pay for the gas, make you dinner that day, or something like that. Twisted Evil

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:38 pm
GR it always made me nervous too but its also so impractical to have to take mutipile careasts

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:40 pm
Thanks, redsea, for the links. If I didn't see myself buying a car in the near future, I would definitely consider buying that type of thing. It's pretty neat. I have regular carseats already, though.

Kmelion- right, that's what I'm asking. Why is it okay legally? I just don't get it. I'm not too young to remember the days of holding an infant on your lap in the car, and while I would never do that ever, this whole thing makes me wonder.

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:43 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
GR it always made me nervous too but its also so impractical to have to take mutipile careasts

I know. I just find it surprising that such a thing would be allowed. If I really have to get somewhere, and I have to take the kids with me, and the bus and train don't go there or are too impractical... I feel a little stuck and just seeing what all my options are.

Usually we would just rent a car for the day but I can't do that now either. Confused

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:57 pm
how can you take a car seat in a taxi, where would you put the car seat once you reach your destination? I have a 2 year old, so I wouldnt be able to take one of those travel systems anymore. I just put him next to me at the window and daven for the best.

sarahd

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 2:08 pm
Where I live, taxis are required to supply a carseat on request. Unfortunately, mostly they offer you a booster seat but better than nothing, I guess. When we go to America, though, we have the biggest hassle!! trying to find a car service to pick us up at the airport with a car seat. Usually after trying 3 or 4 we find one that promises a car seat and half the time they show up without it. A couple of times we borrowed a car seat and made the car service guy stop at my parents' on the way to the airport to pick it up, but they hated doing it. Finally we decided to buy our own and we take it along with us. Nuts, but what can you do? At least my mother has a car, so we just install the seats once we arrive and don't need to use taxis while we're there.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 2:35 pm
oh for a minute I thought this was "Texas" ... yee haw ...

yup safety first - although I can see why it would be cumbersome to schlep a carseat

what about those minivans with built in carseats ... I would try to find a carservice with those ...

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 2:47 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
how can you take a car seat in a taxi, where would you put the car seat once you reach your destination? I have a 2 year old, so I wouldnt be able to take one of those travel systems anymore. I just put him next to me at the window and daven for the best.

In this case it would be both my 2 yr old and my 1 yr old. No way can I get into a taxi without carseats for both of them.

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 2:57 pm
For a baby you can use an infant seat that clips into your stroller. For older kids you can use those booster seats. Some are pretty light. Once you have a few kids it is problematic. I suppose you can try and arrange the same taxi to pick you up, and he can keep the seats in the car.

I am surprised car services in places like williamsburg, ch, bp don't keep babyseats, since there must be a demand in those places.

I was furious when we rented a car last summer at how much they charged for carseats. $10 a day (canadian) I thought that was much too excessive, since we were renting for a week. And no difference in price for booster seats or baby seats.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 3:08 pm
Very simple; we took the bus or subway if we went anyplace.

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 3:17 pm
Quote:
For a baby you can use an infant seat that clips into your stroller. For older kids you can use those booster seats. Some are pretty light. Once you have a few kids it is problematic. I suppose you can try and arrange the same taxi to pick you up, and he can keep the seats in the car.

I wouldn't take a bulky stroller to Boro Park, and my 1 yr old is way too big for the infant seat anyway.
It would be a different car service from CH to BP, and from BP to CH.

Quote:
am surprised car services in places like williamsburg, ch, bp don't keep babyseats, since there must be a demand in those places.

because legally, you can hop right in with no carseats.

Usually things that aren't safe are illegal, so I'm confused on this one.

choc moose- I mentioned that the train and CH-BP bus both won't take me anywhere near where I need to go, and I'm not taking two toddlers on a city bus.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 3:27 pm
I really find the seatbelt adjusters helpful, they fit in my purse. At least a two year old can use it, but at one too small.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics