Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What is your relationship with your sister in law like?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 2:28 am
Is she like a sister to you, like a good friend, someone you are not so crazy about, or someone that you would rather avoid?

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 2:34 am
Depends which....

My brother's wife, is totally like a sister!
My husband sisters, depends.... same with his brothers wives..... non feel like a sister. But some of them I really like and enjoy their company/help each other out....
3 I don't particularity care for, or like meeting. Additute and/or selfish centeredness.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 2:39 am
My brother's wives are my sisters.
My husband's sisters/brother's wives are more like cousins. We speak but not all the time and it's more polite.

salt

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 3:06 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
My brother's wives are my sisters.
My husband's sisters/brother's wives are more like cousins. We speak but not all the time and it's more polite.

Sorry to nit-pick, but you should really write:
My brothers' wives are my sisters - with the apostrophe after the s.

Otherwise it sounds like your brother has more than one wife Smile

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 3:33 am
I wish to be closer to them and have really tried but it seems like they are not interested so I keep it that way, nice and warm, call to say Mazel tovs, will ask them once in a while if they need shopping then I do it for them but not too much because then I feel hurt if it doesn't get me anywhere.
Basically, I do it to be a mentch, for myself, but I do wish we could just call and shmooze.
In my MIL family her SIL are totally second )sisters can go out together and keep it a secret from SIL) so I guess they are used to SIL relationships being second.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:06 am
I'm so, so grateful DH doesn't have any sisters. He's such a drama queen that I'd hate to see what a female version of him would be like :O

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:23 am
My husband has 3 sisters and 2 sisters in law. (I have none on my side, being the only married one!)
I'm so intimidated by them.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:45 am
Non existent.
We like each other but don't speak much when we're not at family get togethers. We don't have much in common; they are old enough (almost) to be my mother, they are in a totally different financial bracket and therefore completely different lifestyles.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:51 am
I relate much better to my husband's sisters than my brothers' wives or his brothers' wives. I wouldn't put them in the same category as my sisters, but I would chat or go out with them easily enough. Somehow, all of our brothers married very strong, intimidating women and our relationship is somewhat distant.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 5:00 am
I have no relationship with my sisters in laws as they treated my parents disrespectfully. My oldest sister tries, but she gets the same treatment. It's better to have no relationship.

happyone

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 5:14 am
We are a large family from both my husbands side and mine. Some are like sisters, some are better than sisters, some like friends, and some we only see at family gatherings and simchas. Overall we all love each other and get along well.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 5:24 am
I have 4:

Husbands sister- a year younger then me- my best friend in the world.
Husbands sister- 7 years younger then me- like a really close younger sister. She’ll come to me for advice and such.
Brothers wife- 1.5 years older then me. very close, we’ll do anything for each other, her personality is the least like mine. Well shmooze if we call each other for something, but don’t really call to often. But very close at heart.
Brothers wife- 7 years younger me. We don’t talk that much but we should. I love her so much. I felt like I loved her the first time I met her.

So I am close with all four of my sister in laws. All of them are people I would call just because, we would go out together and enjoy each other’s company. I also have one sister. We are very close too.

fmt4

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 5:29 am
I don’t have any sisters in law on my side but I do have some girlfriends in law (brothers’ girlfriends) and they are like sisters!!! My husband has one much younger sister that I’ve known since she was a little girl and she is like my little sister. I’m very close with his brother’s wife as well!

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 5:42 am
I have a sister 3 yrs younger than me and another 1.5 yrs older than me. I talk to both of them almost every day, I think it’s because I have them I am not super close with sister in laws.
I have 7 sis in laws. I get along well with all them. No one lives local. I don’t pick up a phone to shmooze with any of them. Depending on yom tov and simchos I can go months without hearing from them but when I do finally speak or see I have a good time and enjoy their company

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 5:44 am
I have 2 sis in laws from my side-One is a bully snd I don't have anything to with her and the other one is too busy to talk to. I have 4 sis in laws on dhs side. One has schizophrenia and can't talk to her. Another one I get along with, and my other 2 thinks I am too modern for them so thry don't talk to me.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 5:47 am
DH"s brothers' wives and my brothers' wives: very friendly when I see them, which isn't often. I do wish it could call them out of the blue to shmooz but they seem to not appreciate that and often have to run a few minutes after I call, so I hardly call anymore.

DH's sisters are terribly snobby and basically ignore me. It is so hurtful and I just told DH that I don't want to go to his family simchas and parties anymore. (My MIL is also very hurtful and will embarrass me publicly for being spoiled and wanting AC when it's hot etc)

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 5:59 am
My brothers’ wives: one I’m very close with, I wouldn’t call her a sister, but I could see us being like that with time. The other one would love for us to be like sisters but I feel less in common with her and honestly she sometimes annoys me. I do feel bad about that because she is a genuinely nice person and wants a closer relationship.

My husband’s sisters: one is a good friend, the other is my husband’s sister.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 6:43 am
I have 3 from my dh's family and 7 from mine k'h.

I met only one from my dh's family and that was his sil, not sister, because they got married many years after we were married. I didn't go to the wedding though because it was in another country. They have nothing to do with one sister and the other one they haven't for many years. Since we don't live in the same country, I never met her either. In the beginning when they started to have a relationship again, we spoke more, but now not so much. I'm very bad with bringing new people into my life and especially being close to them. It's very hard with her because she's a complainer. The other sil that I did meet, I have absolutely nothing to do with. We don't live in the same country. We don't speak the same language.

My other sil's I'm not particularly close, but I like them all. Some more than others. We have a whatsapp group with just us females, but not all of us are part of it because they don't have smartphone or whatsapp. I try once in a blue moon to call some of them, but there aren't many blue moons. I live in a different country than all of them including my sisters. I'm not as close with them as my sisters, but we all get along b'h.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 7:29 am
Excellent. Not that I can write anything else, since they know my user name. Lol.

icebreaker

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 7:30 am
I don’t think I’ve said more than a handful of words to her. I don’t dislike her or anything, I just barely know her.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics