Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Room sharing and alarms

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:44 pm
I am looking for practical help. I have two girls who will be sharing a room for the rest of the summer (one has basically claimed the guest room, but it is now occupied.) One needs to wake up early for work, and uses an alarm. The only type of alarm that works for her is a gradual one that starts low and comes to full volume 10-15 minutes later, when she fully wakes. Nothing else works, including when I try to wake her. Meanwhile, the other sister wakes as soon as the alarm starts, and she doesn't even need to be up for another hour. And she gets very deregulated when she wakes like this. She has tried sleeping with ear plugs and noise cancelling earmuffs; she cannot.

What can I do? There is nowhere else for either of them to sleep. Dd2 has decided she is moving in with me which I would do to solve the problem even though I wouldn'tsleep well, but dh isn't too happy about it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:45 pm
Did she try the sonic boom vibrating alarm clock? They also make one that you wear on the hand.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:14 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Did she try the sonic boom vibrating alarm clock? They also make one that you wear on the hand.

Yes. We have the sonic boom. I would walk in and she would be sleeping sway with her whole bed vibrating. The only thing that works is a gradual one that wakes her slowly, with both sounds and light. Otherwise she either doesn't wake up or kind of wakes and shuts it off and goes right back to sleep.

Also, the vibrating is loud enough to wake her sister.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:17 pm
Get her to bed earlier. Easier said than done!

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:20 pm
I don't think it's fair for the 2nd child to have to be woken early because the 1st needs such a long and loud alarm. I would be upset with it. I think you really should try to wrack your brain for some other arrangement.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:27 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I don't think it's fair for the 2nd child to have to be woken early because the 1st needs such a long and loud alarm. I would be upset with it. I think you really should try to wrack your brain for some other arrangement.

Consider it wracked. This is the main reason we let her take over the guest room. I'm open to other people's creative solutions. It's actually not a bad alarm, very peaceful. But it is there. And the other kid bedroom is occupied by boys.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:29 pm
If there's a guest staying in the guest room now, I think you need to tell them that you need the room and it's not available anymore.

imasinger

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 12:02 am
OK, what can be changed, and what can't?

Can anyone sleep on a couch for the rest of the summer?

Can DD2 learn to go to bed and get up earlier?

Can DD1 find another place to live? Can she learn to go to bed earlier so she wakes more easily? Can she change her work schedule? Can she go to sleep with earbuds and have an alarm play through them, so there's only the light to bother DD2?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics