Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Have you ever won anything in a lottery?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 2:00 pm
Okay so I have $30 that's mine. It's not out of family earnings, it's mine. So I want to buy a $30 lottery ticket which has a max prize of $10 million. I know the odds aren't great, but I just want to try and see what happens. It'll be just a fun secret and a moment of dreaming.

Did you ever play the lottery? Did you regret it?

If you had $30 what would you consider the responsible thing to do with it? (But I'm not going to be responsible this time.)

(And yes I know that if I gave it to tzedakah that would be the smartest thing - the best investment. I just want to dream though. I want to dream about paying off our debt and not having to worry.)

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 2:03 pm
$30 for a ticket? Where do you live that it costs so much to play the lottery? We play every once in a while, but a ticket is only a couple of dollars. Never won.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 2:06 pm
Where are you holding financially? Are you on debt? Do you receive benefits? Do you pay full tuition? Honestly, $30 for a lottery ticket sounds a bit much.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 2:07 pm
The U.S. has these $30 options that have better odds than the cheaper tickets. The lottery options go all the way from $1 tickets to $30 in most states, up to $50 in Texas.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 2:09 pm
Yes we have debt. No we're not on benefits. We both work hard but life is expensive. There's no way we could pay full tuition. But if I win we will! Not even saying bli neder because it's not even a question, I would love to be able to! My kids' school has gone above and beyond for our kids.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 2:10 pm
I have on a few occasions matched the Powerball and won about $2.

I've won prizes in Chinese auctions. I won a set of folding chairs, a rug, a Target gift card, and a set of Uncle Moishy and Avraham Fried CDs. That's different though bc the money goes to tzedakah.

I don't think it's reasonable to play large sums in the lottery but I don't see the harm in buying an occasional ticket, maybe 1-2 times a month. Total about $50 a year.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 2:14 pm
We won tefillin in a Chinese auction - that was amazing we made a bar mitzvah just a few months later. It does feel different to know the money is going to tzedakah. But no Chinese auction has the kind of huge prizes that I want to dream about winning!

Elfrida

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 2:19 pm
I know someone who buys a ticket every year the week before Rosh HaShana. His theory is that if there is still any money that he was meant to receive during the course of that year, he wants to provide HKB'H with an easy method of making sure that he gets it.

He says that so far, HKB'H has kept very good accounts!

Gulabi

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 2:22 pm
I haven't but my dad won 218000 pounds 23 years ago. It was with a work syndicate Party

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 2:23 pm
One Chanuka when I was about 15 my father bought $2 scratch off lotto tickets for each of us to have fun with. He said if we win , that would be our Chanuka Gelt. Sure enough one of them won us $100. My father took us to cash it in and divided it amongst us. That was so fun .

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 2:25 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
One Chanuka when I was about 15 my father bought $2 scratch off lotto tickets for each of us to have fun with. He said if we win , that would be our Chanuka Gelt. Sure enough one of them won us $100. My father took us to cash it in and divided it amongst us. That was so fun .

We had an uncle who used to bring a bag of change on chanukah and we would stick our hands in and grab a big handful. We felt like billionaires, LOL.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 2:27 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I know someone who buys a ticket every year the week before Rosh HaShana. His theory is that if there is still any money that he was meant to receive during the course of that year, he wants to provide HKB'H with an easy method of making sure that he gets it.

I love this way of thinking
LOl

amother
Black

As a teen I put some money into a Chinese auction (my own money) from a party I helped set up.
It was a bunch of toys.
Growing up abused and neglected, never having toys, even as a teen I dreamed of having toys so bad that I put it into the lottery of toys. Kids toys for up to age 6 or so.... and some games for a bit older kids. I was a teen!
And I won!

Then my mother made me wrap it and she gave it to the grandkids. Oh well.....

I've won $10 or so.
Dh will play for a $1 or $2 every couple of months. Just for kicks.

He works hard long hours. We are in debt (we bought a starter home) but iyh we'll be able to pay it all off withing the next 3 years or so.

We pay full tuition.

What I would do with those $30 is get myself a treat for $5 or so, give $1 or 2 for tzedaka as a zchus fir hatzlacha, andbuy a some lottery tickets!
and if you didn't win, put away the rest $15 to do the same again in a few weeks. (And hopefully win that time:)

soap suds

Elfrida wrote:

He wants to provide Hashem with a way to give him money[/I]? Very Happy Tell him to save his money. /Hashem will manage to swing it without his help. Hid lottery ticket doesn't make it easier for Him. Now, if he's doing it because he believes he has to do hishtadlus, that's a different story.

top mom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 3:32 pm
My theory with these type of things, is that if it's bashert for me to win, then a 1$ loto will do the job, and if it ain't bashert, then spending 30$ won't help you! Not that I'm a lottery buyer or anything Wink

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 4:05 pm
top mom wrote:
My theory with these type of things, is that if it's bashert for me to win, then a 1$ loto will do the job, and if it ain't bashert, then spending 30$ won't help you! Not that I'm a lottery buyer or anything Wink

A friend of mine had the same philosophy. At Chinese auctions, where some would put multiple tix to improve statistical odds on items they wanted, she figured if the KBH wants her to win, she’ll win with one ticket. She often did win some nice stuff.

I’ve won a prize in a raffle or Chinese auction four times in my life that I can recall. Nothing big, and I could easily have afforded to buy the things I won. One was third prize in a raffle when what I wanted was first prize. It was something I didn’t care for at all and donated back to the organization for its raffle the following year. One was something I didn’t like that much and wouldn’t ever wear but it had few tickets on it so I figured the odds were good of winning it. I gave it away to someone who I believed would wear it. It was all for the fun of winning something, not for the monetary value of the prize.

OP, you’d be better off investing your $30 in a no-load mutual fund. Chances of winning real big in the lottery are very slim. You might win a few bucks or you might lose your entire $30.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 4:12 pm
In England they have a thing called premium bonds, where you 'buy' a number, and that same number goes into a draw every month, with prizes ranging from £25 to a million. I've never won anything big, but I've won small prizes a few times, and twice I've won £500.

The small prizes are often the most fun, since you can spend them on some luxury without feeling guilty. Once you are talking bigger money you have to be sensible about how to use it

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 6:35 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
A friend of mine had the same philosophy. At Chinese auctions, where some would put multiple tix to improve statistical odds on items they wanted, she figured if the KBH wants her to win, she’ll win with one ticket. She often did win some nice stuff.

I’ve won a prize in a raffle or Chinese auction four times in my life that I can recall. Nothing big, and I could easily have afforded to buy the things I won. One was third prize in a raffle when what I wanted was first prize. It was something I didn’t care for at all and donated back to the organization for its raffle the following year. One was something I didn’t like that much and wouldn’t ever wear but it had few tickets on it so I figured the odds were good of winning it. I gave it away to someone who I believed would wear it. It was all for the fun of winning something, not for the monetary value of the prize.

OP, you’d be better off investing your $30 in a no-load mutual fund. Chances of winning real big in the lottery are very slim. You might win a few bucks or you might lose your entire $30.

Lol. Perhaps you're talking about me.
I only put one ticket into a prize. To do my hishtadlus so if I am to win, my ticket should be there.
I've won some things here and there.
Nothing serious but sometimes the fun is in winning.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:29 pm
Well, I agree about only needing 1 ticket for histadlus. But, in this case, the $1 tickets are for lottery games where the max prize is around $500. So it's not the same as the $30 ticket, where the top prize is way more.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:41 pm
I won a leather jacket many years ago.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics