Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Have you ever won anything in a lottery?
Previous  1  2

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 5:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well, I agree about only needing 1 ticket for histadlus. But, in this case, the $1 tickets are for lottery games where the max prize is around $500. So it's not the same as the $30 ticket, where the top prize is way more.

Are you sure about that? In my state a Powerball ticket is $2-3 and the jackpot at next drawing is estimated at $140m. The mega millions also offers large prizes for minimal ticket prices. Obviously the odds are terrible.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 5:43 pm
I was once by a Chinese auction. That night I got a call. You won a Sheitel.... a wash and set. I won a wash and set for a Sheitel and here I thought I won a new wig. Oh well!

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 6:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We won tefillin in a Chinese auction - that was amazing we made a bar mitzvah just a few months later. It does feel different to know the money is going to tzedakah. But no Chinese auction has the kind of huge prizes that I want to dream about winning!

BH I’ve won some pretty fabulous Chinese auction prizes.

OP if you’re determined to ‘gamble’ your money I suggest entering a $30 prize in a Chinese auction. Much, much better odds

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:49 pm
I once won 3 years worth of diapers from Huggies in Israel

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 11:38 pm
I've won $5,000 worth of Amex travel certificates from my job once. I traveled a good bit over the next few years. The first prize was $10,000 worth.
I won "split the pot" worth a few hundred dollars. And other assorted small prizes.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 12:54 am
Quote:
Are you sure about that? In my state a Powerball ticket is $2-3 and the jackpot at next drawing is estimated at $140m. The mega millions also offers large prizes for minimal ticket prices. Obviously the odds are terrible.

I'm talking about scratch-offs. Scratch-offs have better odds than the huge Powerball/Mega Millions type games. There are websites where they post how many people have won each level of prize (this updated info is provided by the lottery each day) vs. how many prizes at each level existed at the beginning of the game, so you can see which games already have all the big prizes won.

Some of these prizes people posted they won sound amazing!!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 2:36 am
Not worth it. I have very rarely seen winning

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 5:48 am
I have won some nice prizes in Chinese auctions, a Sheitel, gift cards, a few shabbos packages.
I won a silver menorah for my husband and on the first night of Chanukah I gave it to him.
The best was what my mother won she won a Sefer Torah which she didn’t even remember putting in for.

Teomima

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 5:56 am
I've never won anything but I have bought (cheap) lottery tickets in the past. The way I see it, you have no right to dream of winning the lottery if you never actually play. And dreaming is so much fun! That said, I doubt I would ever put $30 into it, that sounds like a lot.

Chloe22

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 6:11 am
I won $100 in the lottery. I won $1000 in a NY Daily News contest.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 10:13 am
Update: my $30 ticket won $100, so net $70. Super fun! Thank you Hashem! Smile

Goodday

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:04 am
wow you've got good mazel!!

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:35 am
In my old workplace, every so often someone would go around with a big envelope and we would all contribute a buck or 2 then they would buy as many tickets as possible with $ and we split the win (was never too major but fun nonetheless)

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:41 am
I never won anything in a Chinese Auction, and the most I ever one in a scratch-off was $2. So I kept one dollar and played the other, and lost it. So I broke even.
Nothing more than that. Ever.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:21 am
I wouldn't play the lottery, personally, because I think it's a waste of money. My DH plays pretty regularly, and has never won a cent. Enjoy, though!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics