Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
No pictures please !
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 3:32 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I don't even have a smart phone, let alone Instagram. But my knee-jerk reaction to this "terror" is get over yourselves. I use the plural as I see so many "likes" to the posts expressing horror at being "outed" at a simcha or G-d forbid a shiva house! I certainly can understand the "terror" if someone is in hiding for personal safety reasons or even perhaps from a creditor, but I did not see that mentioned.

If you read through the responses - you can see that Rose didn't actually mean 'terror' - she describes discomfort and personal upset.

If someone wanted to snap photos of me (or anyone) leaving a Mikvah and post them on instagram- they are doing so with intent to do me harm. That's not the case of posting photos from a wedding... So I don't see the logical progression of the argument.

I personally am also uncomfortable with people posting images of me online, I do think consent should be sought - but I don't dwell on it. (I personally don't post pictures of my kids on social media - and make reasonable efforts to see that others do not either).

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 3:34 pm
I don't even have a smart phone, let alone Instagram. But my knee-jerk reaction to this "terror" is get over yourselves. I use the plural as I see so many "likes" to the posts expressing horror at being "outed" at a simcha or G-d forbid a shiva house! I certainly can understand the "terror" if someone is in hiding for personal safety reasons or even perhaps from a creditor, but I did not see that mentioned.

Who cares?? Are you doing something illegal? Are you ashamed of the marriage? Unless there is a safety concern here, who really gives a darn??

I find it quite ironic that behind your caviler who gives a d@mn attitude you are posting anonymously, twice over since your screen name isn't identifying either.

But if you have a right to post something online without identification for privacy then at least respect those people who don't want their face to post it all over the Internet just for privacy reasons if not for other reasons like modesty.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 3:38 pm
I certainly don't think anyone should post pictures of anyone without their permission. But I think sometimes people make a big deal about nothing. I never heard of taking someone's picture coming out of the mikvah, but if it's true, it is rude and disgusting. And I would not like someone to do it to me. That being said, I would get over myself and fast. Who cares really? I am a married woman doing a great mitzvah! Now if the picture were taken from inside the bath/shower room or the mikvah room itself, that would be a whole other thing Smile

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 11:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thats crazy u should sue them for using youre picture for free advertising

If it's taken in public unfortunately it's legal.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 1:56 pm
It doesn't matter why a person doesn't want their picture taken. Maybe they are having a bad hair day, are self conscious about their weight, or they are paranoid that the CIA is going to come after them. It doesn't matter!

If there is a quick and easy way to make the simcha more enjoyable for everybody, I don't see any problem with this. It's a considerate way of respecting other people's sensitivities.

Personally, I don't care at all if my picture gets taken or shared. But that's me, and I don't get to decide that for other people, so I'm not going to judge a system that works for others.

ora_43

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 3:41 pm

So what, only people who personally need to fear for their safety right now should be worried?

It makes sense that if someone sees that as a possibility, they'd be worried, too. Just knowing that there's no protection for people in some situations - situations any one of us could be in - is scary. Like how people are worried by, say, unfair trials. Sure, it probably won't be a problem for you if you're a law-abiding citizen, but sometimes probably just isn't good enough.

And then are the attitudes behind it. On the one side, the encouragement of the attitude of people thinking they have a right to do whatever they want with other people's images. If someone wants to share a picture of me with my hair covering blowing off in the wind with a group of tens of thousands of people on Facebook (just an example, BH, didn't really happen) - that's her right. What did I expect, going out in public.

And on the other side, how does it feel knowing that at any moment, anything you do could be put online for everyone to see? How does that change the way we dress and act and even think, when we're in public spaces? Maybe there are some benefits, but I can also think of downsides.

Gulabi

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 3:48 pm
I like the Instagrammer hasidiminusa, I love the insight into the culture, but a lot of people do post under the pics saying he shouldn't be taking such photos, especially of women. I can understand why, and he has a lot of followers, but he always replies that its perfectly legal. I wouldn't like a random guy in the street taking my pic and putting online without my permission, its a violation of privacy for sure but seems its okay to do this

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 5:33 pm
I attended a Chanukah chabad event and I am on tape on their website stuffing my mouth with a doughnut I am on the heavy side I am embarased they should have edited the tape
I didnt complain .

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 5:51 pm
Who cares?? Are you doing something illegal? Are you ashamed of the marriage? Unless there is a safety concern here, who really gives a darn??

Not everyone wants every detail of their life posted on the internet. Some people like and want privacy and boundaries.

To take a step further, imagine if you are a professional (I.e. lawyer, therapist, school principal etc.) and you strive to keep your professional life and personal life private. Would you want your clients, or other people who you are not close with pulling apart your facial expressions, attire, flowers, band etc at a personal event that you are making?

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 5:54 pm
There are unfortunately situations that make posting pictures online very dangerous. Think divorce and child custody situations. Think of women hiding from abusive husbands or exes. There are many risks, but these are a few that instantly come to mind. NEVER post a picture online of a child that isn’t yours without explicit permission.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 7:24 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Once your photos on the internet it can be used widely unless you have clicked on all sort of tiny privacy policies.
I know of a jewish family who went abroad and their children were on a huge billboard advertisement poster on the highway(for the local supermarket!) But it could go anywhere.

False. To use a photo for advertisement you must have a model release signed. Posting a photo online has an implied copyright; it does not become public domain automatically.

Editorial photos, however, may be used as such, for example in newspaper articles and websites.

Posting event photos is likely editorial usage, but the family on the billboard would have rights to sue, at least under US law.

Flip Flops

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 7:44 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
False. To use a photo for advertisement you must have a model release signed. Posting a photo online has an implied copyright; it does not become public domain automatically.

Editorial photos, however, may be used as such, for example in newspaper articles and websites.

Posting event photos is likely editorial usage, but the family on the billboard would have rights to sue, at least under US law.

True. They cannot use your picture for advertising purposes without your consent.
I do know of a story (don't want to give out so many details) where some girls went to an attraction, and they were offered a discount if they agreed for their picture to be used. Being that the language was foreign, they didn't really get what was going on and they signed the forms. Found themselves on a billboard.

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 7:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I attended a Chanukah chabad event and I am on tape on their website stuffing my mouth with a doughnut I am on the heavy side I am embarased they should have edited the tape
I didnt complain .

Off topic, but heavy people have just as much right to enjoy food as anyone else.

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 8:57 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Not everyone wants every detail of their life posted on the internet. Some people like and want privacy and boundaries.

To take a step further, imagine if you are a professional (I.e. lawyer, therapist, school principal etc.) and you strive to keep your professional life and personal life private. Would you want your clients, or other people who you are not close with pulling apart your facial expressions, attire, flowers, band etc at a personal event that you are making?

...or tracking your location?

Librarian

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 11:34 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

I personally would not care, nope

Librarian

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 11:36 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
There are unfortunately situations that make posting pictures online very dangerous. Think divorce and child custody situations. Think of women hiding from abusive husbands or exes. There are many risks, but these are a few that instantly come to mind. NEVER post a picture online of a child that isn’t yours without explicit permission.

Absolutely! But it does not seem like the posters objecting here are in those situations...

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 11:53 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

It has happened that images have been used for advertising purposes without a release, but the subjects usually sue and win.

And there had to be a ne us to the newsworthy use of the image. Think Peach Lady.

In the US, it’s not an “implied” copyright. It’s real. But you still need to register in order to sue, and the date of registration may affect your damages. That said, the TOU of some websites, such as Twitter (IIRC), allow people to embed images elsewhere. Like we do here. However, if the original photographer (who is usually the copyright holder) isn’t the one who posted, issues can still arise.

It’s polite to refrain from tagging people in posting photos. That way, no one can find you unless they happen to see you.

And poster who is seen eating a donut at a Chanukah celebration, unless you were literally stuffing it in your face, eating in a particularly unappetizing way, don’t worry. All people see is someone enjoying Chanukah.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 3:55 am
As far as I imderstand pictures on the sidewalk or street even of kids are OK to publish

baby12x

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 4:49 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
As far as I imderstand pictures on the sidewalk or street even of kids are OK to publish

Just because its legal doesn't make it right.

I think its wrong. I would be very upset if someone posted a picture of me without consent.

I should have the right to make that decision if I want too

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 6:29 am
I don't care to be posted as long as public and not for advertisement
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics