Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Unusual strep symptoms - just a little PSA
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 1:38 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Since when did strep become so virulent and all inclusive. I hear of so many PANDAS cases. Is it because its mutating from constantly being exposed to antibiotics? Is it becoming more and more resilient and making kids sicker. Strep was not an issue when I was growing up. I barely heard of it and I'm in my late 30s

I had my tonsils taken out 32 years ago because of strep.
My father had his out 50 years due to frequent strep.
So many ppl I know has it out.
Now it feels like a last resort.

Maybe they just did drastic steps quicker. But strep was around.

And perhaps kids with pandas were diagnosed with ocd or a mental illness or a tic and no one ever knew.

I do think panda gets thrown around more then it truly occurs.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 3:29 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Funny. One of my kids does the same. No complaining of anything but just simply stops eating.
Another odd symptom is waking up at night for a cup of water. Just a cup of water has my alarm bells ringing. Other stuff as mentioned, bedwetting, diarrhea, headaches, rash, stomachaches and really uncharacteristic behavior. One child literally becomes crazy. I am always vigilant and have to notice if theres any difference in their behavior since they dont manifest with throat pain.

Sadly strep is a very very sore topic in this household. Antibiotic doesnt help long term and it keeps festering and going around non stop. Ive tried every vitamin and alternative treatments out there With thousands of dollars spent. We never, ever share any food, cups or cutlery. I stopped using hand towels and go thru towel paper by the dozen. And still we are on this journey.
I just wanted to add that ive only been experiencing this since the birth of one particular child. He is the one who keeps passing it on to my other kids.
Im welcoming any tips for a cure.
(Interestingly, ive read an article that says that some kids can be genetically predisposed to recurring strep and that their body is simply unable to fight it. I have many nieces and nephews going thru this so its entirely possible.)

do you have a dishwasher to sanitize your dishes between use? if not switch to disposable and see if that helps. other option is to take out your sons tonsils?

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 3:30 am
leg pain
tics
ocd symptoms
behavior changes
white fur coated tongue
bad breath
and the usual, sore throat, fever, vomit, headache and stomachache

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 3:40 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
do you have a dishwasher to sanitize your dishes between use? if not switch to disposable and see if that helps. other option is to take out your sons tonsils?

No real dishes here. I Switched to disposables early into this saga. Family members who suffered from this and removed tonsils report no improvement.

SisterSix

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 5:09 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
just a little psa, if your kid gets behavioral symptoms with strep, that's pandas.

Or they’re young and don’t know how to appropriately express their physical pain with words

ectomorph

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 6:11 am
I had strep non-stop until my tonsils were taken out as a kid. They were huge and deeply infected with strep and had been re-infecting me. After that I didn't have strep until this week. 20 years later lol. I think my kids all have it which is how I managed to catch it.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 6:12 am
Funny. One of my kids does the same. No complaining of anything but just simply stops eating.
Another odd symptom is waking up at night for a cup of water. Just a cup of water has my alarm bells ringing. Other stuff as mentioned, bedwetting, diarrhea, headaches, rash, stomachaches and really uncharacteristic behavior. One child literally becomes crazy. I am always vigilant and have to notice if theres any difference in their behavior since they dont manifest with throat pain.

Sadly strep is a very very sore topic in this household. Antibiotic doesnt help long term and it keeps festering and going around non stop. Ive tried every vitamin and alternative treatments out there With thousands of dollars spent. We never, ever share any food, cups or cutlery. I stopped using hand towels and go thru towel paper by the dozen. And still we are on this journey.
I just wanted to add that ive only been experiencing this since the birth of one particular child. He is the one who keeps passing it on to my other kids.
Im welcoming any tips for a cure.
(Interestingly, ive read an article that says that some kids can be genetically predisposed to recurring strep and that their body is simply unable to fight it. I have many nieces and nephews going thru this so its entirely possible.)

Do you change their toothbrushes on day 3 of antibiotics? Sterilize pacifiers and bottle nipples?

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 6:19 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Sore throat is not an unusual strep symptom Can't Believe It

Why do you have to be condescending?

My aspect of the PSA was for Imas whose kids "never get strep" that it's still a possibility.

I guess you would have known on day 1 Not worthy

Fabulous

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 8:03 am
I was in Monroe after having a baby when the babysitter called me that my oldest said it felt “sparkly” when he went to the bathroom (number one). He was 6. It was like 8 pm and she wanted to know if she should take him to the doctor. I said yes, uti is uncommon for boys but could happen. Turns out the the doctor has seen this before and tested for strep and it was. He complained over the next 2 years of it 3 times and 2/3 it was strep. So odd, I had never heard of that.

My sister never got a positive culture even though it was strep, they always had to confirm with a blood test

avrahamama

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 8:08 am
My baby had a diaper rash that just wouldn't go away. I brought him in. The doctor cultured his tush and he had strep in his tush. Apparently it can colonize anywhere in the body not just the throat.

cnc

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 8:13 am
avrahamama wrote:
My baby had a diaper rash that just wouldn't go away. I brought him in. The doctor cultured his tush and he had strep in his tush. Apparently it can colonize anywhere in the body not just the throat.

One of my kids has had it on their finger.

avrahamama

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 8:51 am
cnc wrote:
One of my kids has had it on their finger.

How long did it take for you to figure it out? What did it look like?

Dandelion1

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 8:57 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Pennsylvania. Did you ever hear of anyone having behavioral symptoms or any of the "unusual" symptoms in this thread that was associated with tonsillitis? Only thing that was ever spoken of was rheumatic fever from strep. Now it causes every symptom under the son, including PANDAS which mothers here are describing as "hell". What's changed??

Because back then they were just called brats. Now we are a little more proactive in terms of trying to figure out where behaviors are stemming from.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 9:06 am
Just wanted to mention, to moms of kids with recurrent strep.

I had it constantly as a child. I'm fairly certain that it was very connected to the fact that I was a nail biter. I made this connection years later, when I had pretty much kicked the habit, but on occasion still did. I swear, I would end up with strep the next day. And it makes sense. Even if our hands are recently washed, it's unlikely that under the nails is germ free.

If you have a child with frequent strep who happens to bite their nails, pay extra atrention to keeping the nails clean, like by using a nail brush or whatever, since it is unlikely that you'll be able to help them kick the habit so easily.

I hope I don't sound crazy, it's just something I am pretty sure may be related....

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 9:58 am

Sadly strep is a very very sore topic in this household. Antibiotic doesnt help long term and it keeps festering and going around non stop.

Yep - we had this. Had a month of going back and forth, with one kid catching it after another, second rounds of antibiotic for some, and lots of frustration all around. The pediatrician told us to wash all the washcloths and to throw out all the toothbrushes. Thankfully that seemed to do the trick.

Also, try to get them all on medicine at the same time. I don't mean medicate if not needed, but as soon as one is on medication get them all checked (and if you're desperate enough, whoever didn't have it on the first check, bring back for a second check a few days later).

BTW, for one of the kids we stopped using amoxicillin and used a stronger antibiotic (sorry, I'm not positive of the name off hand, maybe Duricef? ). We usually started with amoxicillin and only moved to something else if that didn't do the trick. For one of the kids, the amoxicillin never was enough - there was always a round two of the stronger one. After a few times of that the doctor just started that kid on the stronger one, which meant that he didn't have two rounds of medicine, one of which clearly wasn't working for him.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:16 am
I once dropped off my dd at playgroup and I noticed she had a rash on one cheek which definitely wasn't there when we left the house 5 minutes before. I mentioned it to her teacher and she told me it could be strep, I should please get it checked out. I took her straight to the doctor and she was right, it was strep.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 1:20 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Yep - we had this. Had a month of going back and forth, with one kid catching it after another, second rounds of antibiotic for some, and lots of frustration all around. The pediatrician told us to wash all the washcloths and to throw out all the toothbrushes. Thankfully that seemed to do the trick.

Also, try to get them all on medicine at the same time. I don't mean medicate if not needed, but as soon as one is on medication get them all checked (and if you're desperate enough, whoever didn't have it on the first check, bring back for a second check a few days later).

BTW, for one of the kids we stopped using amoxicillin and used a stronger antibiotic (sorry, I'm not positive of the name off hand, maybe Duricef? ). We usually started with amoxicillin and only moved to something else if that didn't do the trick. For one of the kids, the amoxicillin never was enough - there was always a round two of the stronger one. After a few times of that the doctor just started that kid on the stronger one, which meant that he didn't have two rounds of medicine, one of which clearly wasn't working for him.

I do throw out toothbrushes. I also heard from a pediatrician that rinsing their mouths with listerine can help so we do that. I give fermented garlic, which is an anti-bacteria. Bactroban applied to the insides of the nose. I don’t think there’s anything I’ve not tried. Vitamins. Meds. Gluten free, dairy free.
The child that always passes it on is allergic to most antibiotics except for one and by now that’s worthless. Some of the other kids developed allergies to omnicef/Duricef too. I am so vigilant and strict, I’ve developed ocd when it comes to this topic. No one can go near each other and I randomly chk all kids at the slightest symptom.
This has been going on for several years now; actually since the day ds was born. The doctor says he does not have big tonsils at all and as I wrote previously many of my family relatives (thru marriage)are experiencing this. Recurring strep, with removed tonsils.
I’ve been through the ringer. Never in my wildest dreams have I thght that my life can be so consumed by something like this.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 2:03 pm
I do throw out toothbrushes. I also heard from a pediatrician that rinsing their mouths with listerine can help so we do that. I give fermented garlic, which is an anti-bacteria. Bactroban applied to the insides of the nose. I don’t think there’s anything I’ve not tried. Vitamins. Meds. Gluten free, dairy free.
The child that always passes it on is allergic to most antibiotics except for one and by now that’s worthless. Some of the other kids developed allergies to omnicef/Duricef too. I am so vigilant and strict, I’ve developed ocd when it comes to this topic. No one can go near each other and I randomly chk all kids at the slightest symptom.
This has been going on for several years now; actually since the day ds was born. The doctor says he does not have big tonsils at all and as I wrote previously many of my family relatives (thru marriage)are experiencing this. Recurring strep, with removed tonsils.
I’ve been through the ringer. Never in my wildest dreams have I thght that my life can be so consumed by something like this.

You seem to have been through the ringer. I have heard of people having success when they stop treating the strep for a while and let the body fight it. You can do it under a doctors care to monitor the child for any negative side effects as nothing else seems to be working for you anyway.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 2:14 pm
I have strep and I feel so awful.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 2:18 pm
One of my DD's was in sleepaway camp and she called me that her stomach hurts....and that the camp nurse wants to do a culture (which she hated and thought unnecessary). I told her you are in camp's care, you do what the nurse says.

Sure enough, she had strep.

Same DD broke her foot as a toddler...and whenever I'd see her suddenly limping, I knew it was strep.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics