Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Unusual strep symptoms - just a little PSA
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 2:20 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I have strep and I feel so awful.

My husband never had strep until my kids brought it home from school. He was so so sick. He Took antibiotics and started feeling better after 3/4 days. A year later it happened again. He called the Dr. To switch the abx cuz it wasnt working and the Dr. said to give it time. He started feeling better in 3/4 days. Another year or 2 later he got strep again. It was over a yom tov and he didnt get to the doctor to get abx and guess what? He started feeling better after 3/4 days and it went away fully. Obviously anecdotal and he is a man and doesnt run to the doctor for every little thing in general, but now he says he gets better in the same amount of days if he takes the medicine or doesnt What

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 2:20 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Just wanted to mention, to moms of kids with recurrent strep.

I had it constantly as a child. I'm fairly certain that it was very connected to the fact that I was a nail biter. I made this connection years later, when I had pretty much kicked the habit, but on occasion still did. I swear, I would end up with strep the next day. And it makes sense. Even if our hands are recently washed, it's unlikely that under the nails is germ free.

If you have a child with frequent strep who happens to bite their nails, pay extra atrention to keeping the nails clean, like by using a nail brush or whatever, since it is unlikely that you'll be able to help them kick the habit so easily.

I hope I don't sound crazy, it's just something I am pretty sure may be related....

Or vice versa, one of the symptoms of strep in our house is nail-biting...SO maybe you had strep, bit your nails, and were diagnosed the next day?

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 2:22 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Since when did strep become so virulent and all inclusive. I hear of so many PANDAS cases. Is it because its mutating from constantly being exposed to antibiotics? Is it becoming more and more resilient and making kids sicker. Strep was not an issue when I was growing up. I barely heard of it and I'm in my late 30s
antibiotic overuse and pneumococcal vaccine have turned strep into a superbug. Gut dysbiosis, mineral deficiencies, overwhelmed immune systems and leaky blood brain barriers give rise to infection induced autoimmunity. Toxins give pathogens access to the nervous system. That being said, the strep/molecular mimicry issue is an old one, rheumatic fever and sydenhams chorea have been around for ages. oh and strep is a master at evading the immune system. This is brand new research, how strep bacteria hides inside dead red blood cells and use them to shield themselves from the immune systems attack. They hid in there and wreck havoc in the body, safe from the immune system. https://www.sciencedaily.com/r.....6.htm

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 2:25 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
antibiotic overuse and pneumococcal vaccine have turned strep into a superbug. Gut dysbiosis, mineral deficiencies, overwhelmed immune systems and leaky blood brain barriers give rise to infection induced autoimmunity. Toxins give pathogens access to the nervous system. That being said, the strep/molecular mimicry issue is an old one, rheumatic fever and sydenhams chorea have been around for ages.

Why would strep have any connection to the pneumococcal vaccine?

amother
Blue

amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Or vice versa, one of the symptoms of strep in our house is nail-biting...SO maybe you had strep, bit your nails, and were diagnosed the next day?
Yes this. Nail biting is a type of ocd, it is a sign of brain inflammation caused by strep.

ectomorph

My husband never had strep until my kids brought it home from school. He was so so sick. He Took antibiotics and started feeling better after 3/4 days. A year later it happened again. He called the Dr. To switch the abx cuz it wasnt working and the Dr. said to give it time. He started feeling better in 3/4 days. Another year or 2 later he got strep again. It was over a yom tov and he didnt get to the doctor to get abx and guess what? He started feeling better after 3/4 days and it went away fully. Obviously anecdotal and he is a man and doesnt run to the doctor for every little thing in general, but now he says he gets better in the same amount of days if he takes the medicine or doesnt What
I already had it a few days... Better get better soon. I BH never get sick I don't catch the kids stuff . this is the first time in years ive been sick not pregnant.

I had a negative quick but so did my kids who were positive on culture so I'm waiting for culture

ectomorph

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 2:28 pm
No fever, yes sore throat and headache and swollen glands, and I just feel awful like malaise.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 2:32 pm
Why would strep have any connection to the pneumococcal vaccine?
Because pneumoccocal is against strep bacteria and vaccine induced pathogen strain replacement is a real thing https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....5901/

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 2:43 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Because pneumoccocal is against strep bacteria and vaccine induced pathogen strain replacement is a real thing https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....5901/

The pneumococcal vaccine is most definitely not against the organism that causes strep throat. Sorry.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 2:45 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
The pneumococcal vaccine is most definitely not against the organism that causes strep throat. Sorry.
streptococcus pneumonia vs streptococcus pyogenes

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 2:46 pm

This has been mentioned before, I'm sure not if this thread or not. But just to educate you: most people can fight strep on their own and get better. However, sometimes untreated strep can cause serious serious complications. Therefore, we treat strep primarily because of the potential complications, not because people's immune system can't potentially fight strep on its own.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 2:59 pm
You seem to have been through the ringer. I have heard of people having success when they stop treating the strep for a while and let the body fight it. You can do it under a doctors care to monitor the child for any negative side effects as nothing else seems to be working for you anyway.

I would love for nothing more. But I landed in the ER twice with him over yom tov when he had strep and the rapids came out negative and he was so so sick that I was afraid something is very wrong and called hatZalah. In the end it was strep both times. And he was just a baby.

Ive also read that they are considering developing a vaccine for children like him. Honestly, I feel Banging head .

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 3:05 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
antibiotic overuse and pneumococcal vaccine have turned strep into a superbug. Gut dysbiosis, mineral deficiencies, overwhelmed immune systems and leaky blood brain barriers give rise to infection induced autoimmunity. Toxins give pathogens access to the nervous system. That being said, the strep/molecular mimicry issue is an old one, rheumatic fever and sydenhams chorea have been around for ages. oh and strep is a master at evading the immune system. This is brand new research, how strep bacteria hides inside dead red blood cells and use them to shield themselves from the immune systems attack. They hid in there and wreck havoc in the body, safe from the immune system. https://www.sciencedaily.com/r.....6.htm

The.article linked is justifying a strep vaccine. I'm sure many will be thrilled.

M0mmy

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 3:09 pm
Stomachache without fever (or very low grade - below 100.0F)

Heard of another kid who complained of her knee hurting on YT, and then talked non-stop for 5 hours straight into the night (at ~5 yo). Since it was odd, they took to the doctor, who immediately presumed and tested for strep. Positive.

I feel like growing up, it was super common. Sore throat + fever = strep. Now, there's this whole other host of symptoms, and the doctors are like, "yeah, totally a sign of strep." ????

Unrelated note - learned the hard way: Back pain may = constipation!

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 3:10 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
This has been mentioned before, I'm sure not if this thread or not. But just to educate you: most people can fight strep on their own and get better. However, sometimes untreated strep can cause serious serious complications. Therefore, we treat strep primarily because of the potential complications, not because people's immune system can't potentially fight strep on its own.

Is there any other way to prevent rheumatic fever or predict when it will occur? This seems like alot of unnecessary antibiotic use (doesn't that contribute to resistance?) Considering how many people and how many times it seems people are getting strep. PANDAS is still occurring even though people are treating it. I think we need a new medical paradigm. I guess that's where another umpteen vaccine comes in, but I do wish we could figure something else out

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 3:44 pm
The.article linked is justifying a strep vaccine. I'm sure many will be thrilled.

This particular child has only now started to get his vaccines, as I held back from giving it to him bec of the recurring strep. But if a vaccine can help me out here I’d be the first to stand in line.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 2:14 pm
Since when did strep become so virulent and all inclusive. I hear of so many PANDAS cases. Is it because its mutating from constantly being exposed to antibiotics? Is it becoming more and more resilient and making kids sicker. Strep was not an issue when I was growing up. I barely heard of it and I'm in my late 30s

I'm 54. When I was a kid, EVERYONE got their tonsils out between the age of 4 and 5. It was as automatic as polio vaccines, and no one ever questioned it. Also, kids tended to stay home with their parents until kindy, so they weren't getting so exposed to other kids as much. My sister and I never set foot in a daycare or preschool.

This means that strep didn't have as many places to incubate, and as many kids to pass it back and forth.

Now, parents don't automatically remove tonsils unless there is a severe problem, and even then they are often reluctant. Parents are afraid to use antibiotics, so strep gets to have a long time to really set up shop deep in the tonsils where antibiotics can't reach.

By the time the kid is showing signs of full blown PANDAS, the parents are taking the kids for Autism assessments and getting misdiagnosed. If they ever do eventually figure out it's PANDAS, and they have a doctor who actually believes in it, it can take months or years to correct the damage that has been done. It's a lot like Lyme disease.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 2:31 pm
BTW, try EVERYTHING before you take Cipro. It's like dropping a nuclear bomb on an anthill. If you have become resistant to every other antibiotic out there, or if the infection is potentially life threatening, then take it. Otherwise, go for something less powerful.

There is no stronger antibiotic than Cipro, and if you develop a resistance to it, you are doomed. The CDC has a special ward for people who are resistant, and no matter what they do, they cannot contain bacterial transmission from room to room and ward to ward. It's terrifying.

So, absolutely do treat strep, but be aware of what you are taking, and how often. The only two times I've taken Cipro was when I had Scarlet Fever, and when I had a sinus infection that was threatening to move into my left eye and brain, by infecting the surrounding bone. Anything less than that, and your really need to ask your doctor if it's necessary to use something that strong.

B'H we have Cipro, but CVS you should ever need it!

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 7:06 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Just wanted to mention, to moms of kids with recurrent strep.

I had it constantly as a child. I'm fairly certain that it was very connected to the fact that I was a nail biter. I made this connection years later, when I had pretty much kicked the habit, but on occasion still did. I swear, I would end up with strep the next day. And it makes sense. Even if our hands are recently washed, it's unlikely that under the nails is germ free.

If you have a child with frequent strep who happens to bite their nails, pay extra atrention to keeping the nails clean, like by using a nail brush or whatever, since it is unlikely that you'll be able to help them kick the habit so easily.

I hope I don't sound crazy, it's just something I am pretty sure may be related....

Interesting. I'm a nail biter and have been since at least age 5. I've never in my life had strep.

My 2 kids who are nail biters are not particularly prone to strep, while my husband and one child, both of whom dont chew their nails at all (they both tell me to stop actually when they see) constantly get strep (2 to 3 times a year at least, even during the summer and other times when I don't think it's prevalent).

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 12:35 am
Reading all these posts about strept. The tune for the twighlight zone is going on in my mind. Refuah shlaima for all of those affected.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics