Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How tall is your dh? [POLL]
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

How tall is your dh?
Taller than 6 feet  
 17%  [ 83 ]
5'11 to 6 feet  
 19%  [ 92 ]
5'9 to 5'10  
 22%  [ 105 ]
5'7 to 5'8  
 20%  [ 99 ]
5'5 to 5'6  
 12%  [ 59 ]
5'3 to 5'4  
 4%  [ 22 ]
5'2 to 5'3  
 1%  [ 7 ]
Shorter than 5'2  
 1%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 473

nchr

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:00 am
Funny poll. You'd think there wouldn't be option for under 5'6 or 5'5 but at least a few for 6'0 to 6'1 and 6'1 to 6'2 and then taller than 6'2 or 6'3. The poll was obviously started by someone much shorter than average because otherwise all of those options do not make sense. I'm pretty sure more men are 6'3 then 5'5 lol.. If your son is 5'9 and shorter then he is short. Also average Jewish height in Israel should be slightly shorter than in the US due to the large amounts of immigrants, especially from Yemen. If you are in the US and Ashkenazi look at the average height of a US male of European descent.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:21 am
rowo wrote:
Now I’m curios, how tall is your son?

My still growing ds is already taller than dh. My next ds should hopefully be as tall as dh. Dh is about 5'4.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:35 am
My husband in CLEARLY 5 inches taller than me (I'm 5'6), and for some reason he's convinced he's 5'8 LOL

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:40 am
We’re both about 5’6 or 5’7 but he feels taller to me, probably because of respect.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:43 am
We're both short. DH is 5'5 I'm 5'0.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:48 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
My husband in CLEARLY 5 inches taller than me (I'm 5'6), and for some reason he's convinced he's 5'8 LOL

And my dh didn’t know how tall he was when he went to get his drivers license. The guy before him said he’s 5’ 11” so my husband seeing that he’s shorter than that guy wrote in 5’10”. In reality we measured him after that and he’s about 5’8” but he gives a little of a taller impression to most people.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:53 am
Exactly as tall as he needs to be.

dorothy1

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:57 am
You can find average jewish height by looking up statistics in Israel. If I remember correctly it’s 5’10 for a man. I would guess it’s shorter.

dorothy1

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:03 am
nchr wrote:
Funny poll. You'd think there wouldn't be option for under 5'6 or 5'5 but at least a few for 6'0 to 6'1 and 6'1 to 6'2 and then taller than 6'2 or 6'3. The poll was obviously started by someone much shorter than average because otherwise all of those options do not make sense. I'm pretty sure more men are 6'3 then 5'5 lol.. If your son is 5'9 and shorter then he is short. Also average Jewish height in Israel should be slightly shorter than in the US due to the large amounts of immigrants, especially from Yemen. If you are in the US and Ashkenazi look at the average height of a US male of European descent.

That’s if she only wants to compare to ashkenazim ... and European nonjews are on average way taller than jews ! Maybe you live in New York area and are comparing to Italians and Greeks... nonJews in the rest of the country are much more likely to be scandanavian, German , or British and are TALL. Men below 6’ are abnormal in many parts of the country. Jewish men being 5’6 aren’t particular remarkable.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:17 am
nchr wrote:

The point of her poll was to determine what the average height is in our frum Ashkenazi circles, not the US as a whole. Granted, this can't be determined from this thread because, as Dr. Mom pointed out, the sample size is way too small. Still, my hunch is that the average height for a frum Ashkenazi male is less than the average height for all male Americans.

Also, even if the average Ashkenazi male height is 5"9, I'm not sure it's accurate to describe anything below the average as "short", as that is a subjective word. At what point does, Below average height mean short? What if he's 5"8 and 9/10ths, is that short? What about 5"8 1/2? One inch below the average height is short but a quarter or half an inch below is not? Why one inch and not 2 inches? Is it meaningful to say that an eight of an inch below the average makes him short?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:28 am
It's a lot about food. There are middle school females taller than my husband, and he is 5'11

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:48 am
My DH is 6'2"

My DS is in the 50-something percentile for height according to our pediatrician, but she always says, "and that's tall for a Jew." When I asked her what that means, she said on average Jews are shorter, so if DS is average height on the growth chart then he's tall for a Jew.

I'm average at 5'4.5"

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:55 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
My dh is over 6 feet and weighs less than me most of the time.

Same!

gold21

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:58 am
He is over six feet.

I am more on the petite side.

Mixed bag in terms of the gene expression in our children. Some taller, some less so.

Reality

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 9:01 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
My DH is 6'2"

My DS is in the 50-something percentile for height according to our pediatrician, but she always says, "and that's tall for a Jew." When I asked her what that means, she said on average Jews are shorter, so if DS is average height on the growth chart then he's tall for a Jew.

I'm average at 5'4.5"

Really? I hope your pediatrician is also Jewish because that sounds a little derogatory to me!

My children are always in the 70-90 percentile range and my frum pediatrician who is over 6 ft tall has never commented besides for checking if they stayed on their growth curve.

I am 5'6" and my husband is 6 ft.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 9:06 am
Reality wrote:
Really? I hope your pediatrician is also Jewish because that sounds a little derogatory to me!

My children are always in the 70-90 percentile range and my frum pediatrician who is over 6 ft tall has never commented besides for checking if they stayed on their growth curve.

Our pediatrician is a frum Jewish woman, to the short side lol. She always comments on height and weight, such as when DS was in 20th percentile for weight she said, well, look at his mom; as long as he's gaining consistently I'm not worried.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 9:17 am
Reality wrote:

I don't know if it's derogatory or if there's some truth in it. I've wondered about this myself an if it's community dependent. I find that the last two generations are shorter than the previous generations. I'm 5'4", and I was average height in my class. The average height of the girls today in the community I grew up in seems to be about 5'2". And the average height of the boys seems to be about 5'7-8" (compared to 5'9-10").

The height given above is referencing Brooklyn communities, where I grew up in. I've moved OOT now, and find that the average height here is a bit taller than in Brooklyn. My 5'1" daughter went to camp this year with Brooklyn campers and came home with this observations: "Ma how come in camp I'm average height and not considered short, but here in my class I'm one of the shortest ones?".

Additionally, I've just finished some college courses. The average height for the college aged students seem to be int 5'5" range for girls, and 5'10" for boys (if you exclude the Hispanic crowd).

Is there a possibility that the lack of physical activity, or lack of sunshine for most of the year in Brooklyn that is contributing to this? Both do have a slight effect on growth, and physical activity and sunshine are two factors that have really been reduced in Brooklyn the last years. I'm curious if anyone has insight to this.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 9:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To settle an argument with dh about whether oldest ds is average or not. (I am curious how many other women post on Imamother to settle silly arguments, but that's for another thread.)

lol I have thought abt this before when my family was arguing

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 9:22 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I wrote over 6ft cuz thats how tall he is in my eyes cuz I respect him so much

Here’s why you can’t use this poll as actual data.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 9:23 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I don't know if it's derogatory or if there's some truth in it. I've wondered about this myself an if it's community dependent. I find that the last two generations are shorter than the previous generations. I'm 5'4", and I was average height in my class. The average height of the girls today in the community I grew up in seems to be about 5'2". And the average height of the boys seems to be about 5'7-8" (compared to 5'9-10").

The height given above is referencing Brooklyn communities, where I grew up in. I've moved OOT now, and find that the average height here is a bit taller than in Brooklyn. My 5'1" daughter went to camp this year with Brooklyn campers and came home with this observations: "Ma how come in camp I'm average height and not considered short, but here in my class I'm one of the shortest ones?".

Additionally, I've just finished some college courses. The average height for the college aged students seem to be int 5'5" range for girls, and 5'10" for boys (if you exclude the Hispanic crowd).

Is there a possibility that the lack of physical activity, or lack of sunshine for most of the year in Brooklyn that is contributing to this? Both do have a slight effect on growth, and physical activity and sunshine are two factors that have really been reduced in Brooklyn the last years. I'm curious if anyone has insight to this.

I'm pretty sure average for American females of European descent (so excluding Asian and Hispanic crowd) is 5'5 - 5'7. This is where Jews being short comes into play, because I feel like 5'2 to 5'4 tends to be average for Jewish frum females (but not the non frum ones), whereas 5'2 is really very short.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics