Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Can I ask a stupid question!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:50 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Why would large doses of vitamins boost the immune system? What about sleep, chicken soup, and good hydration?

Why not both?

meme6

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 1:00 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
four cases in rockland county
more cases in westchster
scarsdale schools are closed
all jewish schools are still closed
one school closed for the remainder of the year

Seriously this is overboard! Kids roaming streets doing drugs ! They won’t be able to stop it

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 2:29 pm
meme6 wrote:
Seriously this is overboard! Kids roaming streets doing drugs ! They won’t be able to stop it

Huh?

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 2:30 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Huh?

Meaning kids not in school will bring to roaming the streets which will bring to drugs.

IrenaFr

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:07 pm
Jeanette wrote:
Let me say it again, real slow.

90% of those who get it will be fine. They'll have a bad cold.

10% who get it will not be fine. They will get very, very sick. As in needing the hospital sick. Needing the ICU sick.

It's those 10% we are worried about. Because if coronavirus spreads at this rate, we don't have enough hospital beds for them. We don't have enough healthcare workers to take care of them. Healthcare workers are getting sick too, even with protection. And that means other sick people who need the hospital for other reasons won't get the care they need.

This is not fear mongering. This is what's happening right now in Italy as we speak.

Not true , not the WHO statistics and not the Italy . 80% will be fine, from them 20% without any symptoms, but contagious, other will be sick with fever (sometimes very high) and cough from 2 to 6 weeks, and can have temporary changes in their lungs (from the WHO site) . First week is like the flu. Then for 15% of all the infected will feel that they are drowning , can’t breath properly and they need to be transferred to the hospital immediately. They need oxygen for up to 6 weeks to get better . And 5% of those infected will need intensive therapy units because of multiple organ failure, some of them really oxygen therapy that no one has enough units in any country . And they can die in the following 2 months period.
No fear mongering also , from the WHO reports.
Actually now the numbers in Italy much more serious:
From the Italy government site : http://www.salute.gov.it/porta.....vuoto
9172 total cases, the currently positive people are 7985, 463 dead and 724 recovered.
Among the 7985 positives:

2936 are in home isolation
4316 hospitalized with symptoms
733 in intensive care
That’s the reason they have this huge lockdown, they can’t cope and people are dying from not enough beds in the hospitals and ICU Sad

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:17 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Why not both?

How exactly does overdosing on vitamins strengthen the immune system? I can understand taking a vitamin during illness due to lack of appetite or in case the illness uses up the body's supply but I don't think that immune cell production increases from ingesting a possibly toxic quantity of vitamins. I agree with using them in the therapeutic range to overcome the shortage that may occur during sickness.

clakop

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:17 pm
Hello, I rarely write but I think it's time. Please forgive my English, it's not my language. That's because I live in Itlay, precisely Milano, right in the middle of the storm! Yes, we have problems with beds in hospitals. Yes, we are locked down in our houses, kids will not go to school until april 3 at least, many people work from home or don't work, and this is happening in my region (Lombardia) where we have the best healthcare of Italy. Please, be careful, stay home, don't let the virus spread quickly! All we can do is slowing it down. We have cancelled EVERY gathering, party, meeting. Try not to panic but stay safe.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:20 pm
clakop wrote:
Hello, I rarely write but I think it's time. Please forgive my English, it's not my language. That's because I live in Itlay, precisely Milano, right in the middle of the storm! Yes, we have problems with beds in hospitals. Yes, we are locked down in our houses, kids will not go to school until april 3 at least, many people work from home or don't work, and this is happening in my region (Lombardia) where we have the best healthcare of Italy. Please, be careful, stay home, don't let the virus spread quickly! All we can do is slowing it down. We have cancelled EVERY gathering, party, meeting. Try not to panic but stay safe.

Wow, thanks for writing! Keep up the good work and may Hashem guard the health of all the Yidden.

IrenaFr

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:32 pm
All of the Italy now in lockdown. Please be careful- everywhere in the world ! Demand from your government to prevent this NOW . It’s better earlier!
https://www.theguardian.com/wo.....-news

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:40 pm
Young Israel of Scarsdale just closed
Many shuls in the area of newrochelle Scarsdale area are closed

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:55 pm
Strong doses of vitamins just create expensive urine.

A vitamin pill in normal dosage strength is recommended because some people might not get enough of everything through diet. Any excess - especially of Vit C which is a water soluble vitamin - is just excreted in urine.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:18 pm
clakop wrote:

Wishing health and safety to you, your family, your community, and all of Italy.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:27 pm
Amarante wrote:

A vitamin pill in normal dosage strength is recommended because some people might not get enough of everything through diet. Any excess - especially of Vit C which is a water soluble vitamin - is just excreted in urine.

Beg to differ on Vitamin C. I can clearly see how my body reaches tolerance level pretty quickly on a normal day, but when I am sick my body can tolerate WAY more.

The fact that it is water soluble means that it is very hard to overdose on.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:57 pm
clakop wrote:

Thank you for providing a personal update.
We pray for you .

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 7:14 pm
Amarante wrote:

That's what I thought.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 8:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am in panic mode over coronavirus now and I think for good reason. Everyone is trying to play it down or maybe be in denial but its literally at our doorstep.
My question is if they discovered that several events/weddings in Monsey and around were all exposed to coronavirus through 2 waiters then why are all the people who attended these events not in quarantine?
They are saying anyone who displays symptoms should reach out but what about the 2 weeks prior where you dont yet have the symptoms but already have the virus and continuing to spread it?
Where is the stupid goverment in all this?? Why are all these exposed people just walking free to expose others?? We all know how interconnected the jewish community is and once we have it its all over? Help me understand the logic please

I totally agree with you and it is not stupid. I think the US is really unprepared for this. People are dying and they aren't testing people so the numbers won't go up. If you called to be tested right now... They would tell you there aren't enough tests available,

Italy two weeks ago said the same things people are saying here... Oh its fine its the flu. Now the entire Italy is quarineted. If the US would take more extreme measures then this would be over sooner..

It's hard I think also because of the culture, especially new york. People are told to work through sickness, and jobs don't compensate for it... So that's great but for somethibg like this people feel pressured to go to work even if they may be sick.
Everything is in Hashems hands... But please keep high risk family at home. And it's not crazy to prepare that you may be stuck on your house for a few weeks at a point.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 8:47 pm
my husband is an md and thinks his patient has the corona virus and they wont test the patient
the lawyer who gave it to 70 people in new rochlle and 2 in rockland originally went to lawrence hospital he was not tested because he was not in contact with anyone he did go to isreal and miami
he was sent to nyc hospital where he still is hospitilised young isreal of new rochlle is still closed you
can see it on their web site the rabbi fink and his wife has it

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 9:40 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I totally agree with you and it is not stupid. I think the US is really unprepared for this. People are dying and they aren't testing people so the numbers won't go up. If you called to be tested right now... They would tell you there aren't enough tests available,

Italy two weeks ago said the same things people are saying here... Oh its fine its the flu. Now the entire Italy is quarineted. If the US would take more extreme measures then this would be over sooner..

It's hard I think also because of the culture, especially new york. People are told to work through sickness, and jobs don't compensate for it... So that's great but for somethibg like this people feel pressured to go to work even if they may be sick.
Everything is in Hashems hands... But please keep high risk family at home. And it's not crazy to prepare that you may be stuck on your house for a few weeks at a point.

In the US, unless a person is on Medicaid or Medicare, private insurance pays for the treatment of Corona virus. In countries with government insurance, the government has a bigger incentive to stop the disease from spreading.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 9:43 pm
IrenaFr wrote:
Not true , not the WHO statistics and not the Italy . 80% will be fine, from them 20% without any symptoms, but contagious, other will be sick with fever (sometimes very high) and cough from 2 to 6 weeks, and can have temporary changes in their lungs (from the WHO site) . First week is like the flu. Then for 15% of all the infected will feel that they are drowning , can’t breath properly and they need to be transferred to the hospital immediately. They need oxygen for up to 6 weeks to get better . And 5% of those infected will need intensive therapy units because of multiple organ failure, some of them really oxygen therapy that no one has enough units in any country . And they can die in the following 2 months period.
No fear mongering also , from the WHO reports.
Actually now the numbers in Italy much more serious:
From the Italy government site : http://www.salute.gov.it/porta.....vuoto
9172 total cases, the currently positive people are 7985, 463 dead and 724 recovered.
Among the 7985 positives:

2936 are in home isolation
4316 hospitalized with symptoms
733 in intensive care
That’s the reason they have this huge lockdown, they can’t cope and people are dying from not enough beds in the hospitals and ICU Sad

463 dead out of 9172 total cases is a 5% death rate! That's crazy.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 11:14 pm
southernbubby wrote:
In the US, unless a person is on Medicaid or Medicare, private insurance pays for the treatment of Corona virus. In countries with government insurance, the government has a bigger incentive to stop the disease from spreading.

For sure. but you can't treat if you don't know what you have! They aren't distributing tests... They say they are unavailable right now.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics