Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
I want my money back
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 10:40 am
So my children’s schools have closed. Yes yes, it’s all good blah blah.

Now I can’t go to work. And if I can’t get my paycheck, I’m not sure why my tuition checks are being cashed for this month if school isn’t running until pesach at least. I want To know why schools feels entitled to get paid when they don’t work.

To those who say it’s not their fault, yasher koach, it’s not my fault either that I am now Mommy School.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 10:45 am
I'd call the school and ask them to hold off depositing the checks till I'm back at work.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:04 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I'd call the school and ask them to hold off depositing the checks till I'm back at work.

Not hold off! They lose that month’s tuition check!

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:06 am
I prepaid for the year. What about me?

amother
Red

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:07 am
Yes, this isn't fair. I'd say everyone needs to be cooperative right now. The schools cannot make decisions this week.how to handle the money. We don't know if this will be two weeks or two months. If you can't work and your check might bounce, ask them to hold it. We need to work together, everyone. Teachers also rely on paychecks this month to get through pesach. Your children are getting credit for attending school in the meantime. They won't have to repeat the grade. One - two extra weeks off for pesach doesn't warrant a refund. If it goes the rest of the school year there may be some sort of adjustment warranted. Money will have to be evaluated at a later date. If you r in extreme financial circumstances reach out before Mays tuition checks get sent through.

tichellady

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:08 am
I’m so sorry for your situation. I assume they still need to pay their teachers and cover the building expenses and insurance etc even if they are closed

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:14 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Yes, this isn't fair. I'd say everyone needs to be cooperative right now. The schools cannot make decisions this week.how to handle the money. We don't know if this will be two weeks or two months. If you can't work and your check might bounce, ask them to hold it. We need to work together, everyone. Teachers also rely on paychecks this month to get through pesach. Your children are getting credit for attending school in the meantime. They won't have to repeat the grade. One - two extra weeks off for pesach doesn't warrant a refund. If it goes the rest of the school year there may be some sort of adjustment warranted. Money will have to be evaluated at a later date. If you r in extreme financial circumstances reach out before Mays tuition checks get sent through.

If I don’t get paid when I don’t work, why are teachers in a special category?

And by my count, that’s three weeks off not two, plus pesach, which totals about five weeks so far.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:15 am
Do you want your kids' school to go bankrupt and close? Do you want them to still be around next year, so you can work B"EH?

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I don’t get paid when I don’t work, why are teachers in a special category?

And by my count, that’s three weeks off not two, plus pesach, which totals about five weeks so far.

Has your employer asked you not to come in?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:17 am
tichellady wrote:
I’m so sorry for your situation. I assume they still need to pay their teachers and cover the building expenses and insurance etc even if they are closed

I have a mortgage and I have a job and I have expenses and if the schools close that’s all on me. I’m really tired of paying nearly my entire income to school and begging people to help the school and then when there’s no school somehow they all still want their money. This isn’t how the real world works and maybe if someone kicked them out of their ivory tower and put them in the real working world they would be more understanding.

watergirl

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:17 am
Chayalle wrote:
Do you want your kids' school to go bankrupt and close? Do you want them to still be around next year, so you can work B"EH?

Or destroyed by vandals? We need to continue to pay for security and lights. The amount of our tuition that goes to teachers salary is a small amount of what our dollars pay for.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:18 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Has your employer asked you not to come in?

No. I’m supposed to work. I can’t now that my kids are home.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No. I’m supposed to work. I can’t now that my kids are home.

That answers your question about why the teachers (might) be getting paid, and you aren’t.

The situation is horrible. Can you find some teenagers to help you?

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:22 am
Who pays
Mortgage
Utilities
Security
Taxes
Insurance

If there is no tuition this month there is no school to go back to when this is over.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:23 am
watergirl wrote:
Or destroyed by vandals? We need to continue to pay for security and lights. The amount of our tuition that goes to teachers salary is a small amount of what our dollars pay for.

My entire income goes to this school. And they’re merciless about tuition breaks. Maybe you don’t have a situation where school tuition is $25,000 per kid but I do and I’m done with all this ****. I have to figure it out, let them figure it out.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:24 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
That answers your question about why the teachers (might) be getting paid, and you aren’t.

The situation is horrible. Can you find some teenagers to help you?

Teenagers cost money! Hello!! Extra money that comes from where? Oh, wait, it should come from the tuition checks I gave them for these two months.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:25 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Who pays
Mortgage
Utilities
Security
Taxes
Insurance

If there is no tuition this month there is no school to go back to when this is over.

It goes both ways. I also have all those expenses plus food and tuition and clothing. And if I pay for that PLUS I don’t work, then I don’t have enough money to pay tuition next year. So I should get a rebate either way. This year or next.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My entire income goes to this school. And they’re merciless about tuition breaks. Maybe you don’t have a situation where school tuition is $25,000 per kid but I do and I’m done with all this ****. I have to figure it out, let them figure it out.

Why oh why do you send to a school that takes $25,000 per kid??? It's mamish baal tashchis.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:31 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Why oh why do you send to a school that takes $25,000 per kid??? It's mamish baal tashchis.

Be grateful you live in NY. This is the going rate for many people. And I don’t send to a fancy school.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 11:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Are they in Harvard? Or the very least Yale?
Seriously now, I’d love to see what kind of education these kids get to warrant such tuition.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics