Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Have we lost our collective minds?
  Previous  1  2  3   11  12  13  Next

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The insinuation that by spreading a disease you are automatically causing a death is faulty. You can't prove that. No one can. I could spread it to 20 people and its entirely possible none of them would die.

OP you're clueless and selfish. The probability that you infect 20 people and in turn those 20 people infect 40 people and those 40 people infect 80 people and those 80 people infect 160 people and those 160 people infect 320 and so on. And there's no death that you caused is in incredibly remote at this time.

chicco

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So people should be able to make the choice to go outside if they are comfortable with the risk. I am comfortable with the risk of walking in the park, so I should be allowed to do so. Someone who is uncomfortable with said risk, can bubble wrap themselves inside, spray it with lysol, and stay there for the next 18 years if they so choose. I don't live in NY, I don't even live in a particularly dense area. When the parks were open a few days ago, people were definitely maintaining their distance.

Are you comfortable with the risk of passing Corona to someone else, potentially resulting in their death?

G-d forbid, lo aleinu.

I get it, the struggle is real. We are all feeling it in major ways. But we need to not just think of ourselves right now.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:27 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
First of all, people can make the choice to not drive if they aren't comfortable with the risk. So it's not a good corollary.
Second, your child is not going to have long term psychological effects from staying inside for 2 months. Come on. I don't know where you got 2 years from.
Third, people are morons. No one should need to be told not to sneeze in someone's face, or to wash their hands. But thus is humanity. If the parks are open, people WILL congregate there. And this will go on even longer.
Lastly, it's in YOUR best interest to keep less people sick and the hospitals clear. Even if you don't care about the people who are sick and dying, think about what would happen if you broke a leg, or needed your appendix out, or chv one of your kids swallowed a magnet. And there were no doctors available to take care of you. no intubation tray available for you to have emergency surgery, no x ray machines available. The death toll is NOT the only factor here. And even if it were, you should not be so quick to discount it.

You know for sure that by not being able to go outside for 2 months my child won't have long term psychological effects? I'm not so sure about that. Plus some municipalities are saying May at a minimum, we've already been in lockdown for 2 weeks, so thats 3 months at a minimum.

Plus how many children and women are going to die from being locked inside with a stressed abuser who just lost his job for months on end? I promise it will be no small number but people seem perfectly fine to write those deaths off.

Would be nice if we took into account ALL of the harm this lockdown is going to cause and not just the virus lives .

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:27 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
OP you're clueless. The probability

The definition of a probability is that its not a definite. I think you're the one thats clueless here.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:28 pm
Chayalle wrote:
When one person dies from a car accident, it doesn't set off a domino effect such that all other drivers then die of car accidents.

But one person on the playground with COVID-19 is a different story.

I'm sorry, OP, but your analogy doesn't cut it.

More congested roads lead to more accidents. So there is a certain logic to it. Not to mention less pollution and emissions.

I'm all for policies that encourage more public transportation and fewer cars on the road.

behappy2

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:30 pm
Tale a deep breath. Let's not assume we will be cooped up for two months, definitely not two years. How can you get fresh air some other way. It's hard and ppl have different opinions skit how to go about it, from government, to doctors to lay ppl. Let's respect each other.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So people should be able to make the choice to go outside if they are comfortable with the risk. I am comfortable with the risk of walking in the park, so I should be allowed to do so. Someone who is uncomfortable with said risk, can bubble wrap themselves inside, spray it with lysol, and stay there for the next 18 years if they so choose. I don't live in NY, I don't even live in a particularly dense area. When the parks were open a few days ago, people were definitely maintaining their distance.

It's interesting how a minute ago you were saying that your kids will have long term psychological effects from staying in, but you have no problem condemning the elderly or immu-nocomprimised to the same fate indefinitely. All so you won't have to do it for next couple of weeks/months. I get that it's hard; no one wants to be stuck inside with kids in early spring. But it's not going to be forever. They are already talking about when this shut down will start to be lifted.

They can't pick and choose the parks frequented by people with brains from the ones frequented by idiots. I'm glad people by you are keeping their distance, I really am. But it's not the case everywhere.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You know for sure that by not being able to go outside for 2 months my child won't have long term psychological effects? I'm not so sure about that. Plus some municipalities are saying May at a minimum, we've already been in lockdown for 2 weeks, so thats 3 months at a minimum.

Plus how many children and women are going to die from being locked inside with a stressed abuser who just lost his job for months on end? I promise it will be no small number but people seem perfectly fine to write those deaths off.

Would be nice if we took into account ALL of the harm this lockdown is going to cause and not just the virus lives .

It has been taken into account by people a lot smarter than you.

The risk of death to society from Covid is a lot higher than the risk of death from abusers. And where are these abused people going to go to get their injuries fixed when the health care system is collapsed? To a certain extent they can help themselves. Covid victims can't when there's no more ventilators.

If you aren't a good parent and damage your child, that is on you not on society who made the decision not to collapse the health care system.

Take a parenting course or 30. Stimulate your child.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:33 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
It's interesting how a minute ago you were saying that your kids will have long term psychological effects from staying in, but you have no problem condemning the elderly or immu-nocomprimised to the same fate indefinitely. All so you won't have to do it for next couple of weeks/months. I get that it's hard; no one wants to be stuck inside with kids in early spring. But it's not going to be forever. They are already talking about when this shut down will start to be lifted.

They can't pick and choose the parks frequented by people with brains from the ones frequented by idiots. I'm glad people by you are keeping their distance, I really am. But it's not the case everywhere.

I would be thrilled for my tax and donation dollars to go to allowing said people to stay home and get every service and amenity that we can offer. I'm not okay with determine that their lives are more important than everyone who will die or be significantly impaired for the rest of their lives due to this lockdown.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:35 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
It has been taken into account by people a lot smarter than you.

The risk of death to society from Covid is a lot higher than the risk of death from abusers. And where are these abused people going to go to get their injuries fixed when the health care system is collapsed? To a certain extent they can help themselves. Covid victims can't when there's no more ventilators.

If you aren't a good parent and damage your child, that is on you not on society who made the decision not to collapse the health care system.

Take a parenting course or 30. Stimulate your child.

Don't you DARE suggest I'm not a good mother. I have been working double triple overtime to keep my kids entertained and indoors. It just doesn't work at a certain point. They're not teenagers. They don't understand

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:36 pm
I agree with you that parks and open outdoor spaces should stay open, as long as people keep a healthy distance from one another.

Proper exercise and some fresh air can do a lot to keep your immune system strong and your mind sane.

chicco

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:39 pm
https://www.nytimes.com/video/.....qhBuE

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:41 pm
chicco wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/video/nyregion/100000007052136/coronavirus-elmhurst-hospital-queens.html?referringSource=articleShare&fbclid=IwAR30ZuWStj_xbB6sLg_m77IVzjPccVAqqI0ORl243tt_GQPyr1VixHqhBuE

People die. Literally all the time every day. Young people, old people. People who have been sick for a long time and people die immediately. Many many people die preventable deaths. We still don't close the parks.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
People die. Literally all the time every day. Young people, old people. People who have been sick for a long time and people die immediately. Many many people die preventable deaths. We still don't close the parks.

Great. You think it isn't rational. Wonderful. Fantastic. You aren't the only one.

It doesn't mean you can decide laws don't apply to you.

ora_43

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:45 pm
There's two separate issues here

1. whether the people weighing the costs and benefits of each possible decision might not always make the best possible choice

and

2. whether they are hysterical idiots who are unaware of things like depression, abuse, poverty, or any of the other costs of distancing measures.

You can make a solid case for #1, but you seem to be arguing #2. And that I can't agree with. There are a lot of valid reasons to be worried about this specific problem. I agree that some things are a step too far, and that some decision-makers are a little too quick to dismiss certain things as non-urgent - but it's not reasonable to ignore the whole "pandemic" aspect.

To be honest the way you're comparing covid19 to things with a totally different growth curve is making it a little hard to take this seriously. You can't compare the precautions around a contagious illness to precautions around things that are not contagious (or not preventable).

chicco

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If that was your take away from that video, I have nothing to say to you. I daven that Hashem take care of anybody that will Gd forbid be hurt or worse from your ignorance and selfishness. Hatzlacha surviving in these difficult times.

ora_43

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's almost as if policy-makers expect that this specific thing would cause significantly more deaths than usual.

Or that it might cause something more than "just" deaths. Like, say, the collapse of the health system.

... nah. If either of those were potential issues, I'm sure it would have been in the news or something.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:51 pm
ora_43 wrote:
There's two separate issues here

1. whether the people weighing the costs and benefits of each possible decision might not always make the best possible choice

and

2. whether they are hysterical idiots who are unaware of things like depression, abuse, poverty, or any of the other costs of distancing measures.

You can make a solid case for #1, but you seem to be arguing #2. And that I can't agree with. There are a lot of valid reasons to be worried about this specific problem. I agree that some things are a step too far, and that some decision-makers are a little too quick to dismiss certain things as non-urgent - but it's not reasonable to ignore the whole "pandemic" aspect.

To be honest the way you're comparing covid19 to things with a totally different growth curve is making it a little hard to take this seriously. You can't compare the precautions around a contagious illness to precautions around things that are not contagious (or not preventable).

Actually I truly think the policy-makers are hysterical idiots who make rash decisions based on almost no provable science. The person behind the almighty British health study from the Imperial College which started this madness now says that oh wait, we do have enough of a capacity.

https://www.newscientist.com/a.....icts/

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:53 pm
OP, do you understand Covid math? Your posts make it seem like you truly do not understand the issues here.

ora_43

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Actually I truly think the policy-makers are hysterical idiots who make rash decisions based on almost no provable science. The person behind the almighty British health study from the Imperial College which started this madness now says that oh wait, we do have enough of a capacity.

https://www.newscientist.com/a.....icts/

That's not what he's saying. He's saying thanks to the decisions policy-makers made, there should be enough capacity.

"Whoops, we didn't need to do that"

and

"Thank goodness we did that; it might even work"

are two very different things.
Page 2 of 13   Previous  1  2  3   11  12  13  Next Recent Topics