Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Would you let an 11 month old have screen time

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 7:37 pm
I was always opposed screen time for children, not because of the content of the videos; that’s pretty kosher, just because of the actual time looking at the screen. My baby was a very difficult baby, and never likes to play alone. I love to play with him, but every time I go into the kitchen, bathroom, or sit on the couch for two minutes, he gets hysterical. My dh started showing him cartoon clips on his iPad and it really calms him down. I was very opposed to this and got upset every time I saw dh put a screen in front of the baby. We’re both home now and we try to take turns engaging with him, but he needs the screen more and more. Anytime dh is on computer he comes over and cries until he is shown the screen. I think his attachment to it is because he was shown so much to start with which could have been avoided. This upsets me as I don’t want him to be too attached to screen time when he’s older. Wwyd?

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 7:39 pm
I let my babies have screen time and then I wean them off, along with their bottles and Pampers. Works for me Wink

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 7:47 pm
I didnt read your whole post but no I would not let a baby have screen time . Babies need to explore the world and move around to strengthen their muscles and to teach them how to move. Screen time doesnt accomplish anything as far as their development goes and you dont your kid turning into a kid that's obsessed with tv/videos

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 7:50 pm
11 months old is way to young for screen time.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 7:53 pm
Usually no, but in these circumstances yes.

trixx

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:15 pm
No way not even now. Under 2 for sure not. Play music, story tape, absolutely zero screens

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:21 pm
I am very opposed to screen time for kids of all ages. The last 2 days, my kids have been having 1 hour of screen time daily, even my 18 month old. Crying

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:27 pm
No. I don’t like to compare. But year round I work full time at home with a toddler with me and it’s possible to have zero screen time. I don’t think children at that age should have screen time.

Stars

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:27 pm
Will the kid even sit for it? I'm for audio at that age. You can turn on Little Baby Bum and not give him/her the screen.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:28 pm
The only screen time I do with infants is video chats with family.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:34 pm
No, I would not. I have a similar age child and I don't get a whole lot done when she's awake. I would far rather she kvetch and pull on my skirt for two minutes while I'm taking care of something, than watch videos. Or even cry while I talk to her through the bathroom door for a minute if no one is available to be with her. Babies under the age of a year really do need physical care from a parent much of the time. Including holding or being in close proximity on the floor.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:44 pm
My kids are older teens. They had NO screen time. My friends let their kids have it and I thought they were crazy and poisoning their children. I read a gazillion stories, was completely hands on and was a SAHM. I also didn't give juice, candy, exclusively breastfeeding and served tons of organic fruits and vegetables.
15 years later the only difference is mine don't get a lot of the references from TV/videos. Other than that, there is no difference between my kids and theirs. Do what you need to do. (Obviously don't use it as an 8 hour a day babysitter). Do not kill yourself trying to be super mom. They will not be worse for wear.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:55 pm
Until now we were makpid that she could only see the screen for the first 15 minutes of FaceTime once a week.
Now she FaceTimes one of her grandparents daily just to fill the day.
Decide what your limits are and be flexible until that point.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:17 pm
Thanx everyone for your replies. I want to clarify that I barely ever give my baby screen time when I watch him. He very often is pulling on my skirt for a few minutes when I’m busy. Sometimes I will FaceTime with my parents if I really need to pass time.
However, my dh very often puts a screen in front of him when I’m not there. I discussed with him trying to limit it, and he does try, but still ends up using screen time when baby is under his watch. Dh is wonderful and often tells me to go lay down if I was watching the baby all day, and he takes over. I really appreciate it, however, it annoys me when I come back an hour later and baby is watching something. Should I let it go when my husband watches him or try to limit it more?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:34 pm
Husbands are often not good with ideas of how to entertain the baby. You can try giving him "projects" I.e., please feed the baby (usually need specifics)
Read these books, play this CD (ok I just aged myself) give him 15 minutes in the excersaucer....
Other than that, be ok with how he watches and entertains the baby or don't take any breaks. You can't tell him what not to do. (But you can have a conversation about what does he think about the study you just read that screens are bad for babies....)

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:35 pm
If he can limit it, sure but also make sure he knows how much you appreciate him trying to keep baby quiet while you're resting. It's so hard during these times when you limited to being indoors, maybe he could try music like someone else said. Excessive screen time for young children really isn't good for them but here and there is probably fine. I say just pick your battles and decide what you're ultimately comfortable with. My son is older but we have limited his screen time severely over the years until recently where once in a blue moon has turned into a movie twice this week so far. As parents we do what we have to do and as long as we're doing our best, our kids will probably turn out okay. Or they won't and we can offer to pay for their therapy Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics