Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I get seriously annoyed.
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:05 pm
Someone in the family eats with a terrible open mouth, if u know what I mean. I mentioned many times that it bothers me and the person should try to eat with closed mouth. It sooo gets to me! But I know this person has a hard time eating quietly. I cannot handel it! Is anyone else sensitive to this ?? Its soooo noisy and unpleasant to sit next to someone that chews away open mouthed. Just my vent!

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:10 pm
You're not alone! I think there's actually a name for it, when eating sounds just grate on your nerves until they die. I had a family member who did this and it has definitely gotten better after constantly mentioning it to the point where I was even annoying myself but it still happens every once in a while and I have to stop myself from leaving the room, or stabbing this person with a fork. I also have a good friend who does this, although I've never mentioned it to her but I don't enjoy eating around her.

dena613

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:11 pm
MisophoniA. I have it.

tweety1

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 11:40 pm
It's my pet peeve! I drive my kids crazy abt eating with a closed mouth. I literally feel my skin burning when they don't. It's DISGUSTING!

lilies

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 11:44 pm
Save your sanity, have the person eat in another room with a closed door.

malki2

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 11:46 pm
I can’t stand it either. I probably have misphonia.

lilies

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 12:00 am
Brain scans also revealed a marked difference in the subjects' neurology. In those with misophonia, the triggering noises correlated with increased activity in various regions of the brain, including the frontal lobe and the anterior insular cortex (AIC).
https://www.sciencealert.com/c.....honia

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 12:03 am
It’s a real thing when noises bother people. I suffered so much in my younger years - think chewing, sniffing, tapping etc. when I was dating my husband I was praying he’d take me out to eat so I can see how he chews! And now G-d has the last laugh because one of my kids recently starting chewing like a horse. I’m working on her slowly but I literally lose my mind from it.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 12:03 am
Is it the open mouth that's bothering you or the noise of chewing?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 3:54 am
tweety1 wrote:
It's my pet peeve! I drive my kids crazy abt eating with a closed mouth. I literally feel my skin burning when they don't. It's DISGUSTING!

OMG! there is nothing more disgusting! Whas the kid always like that?
It's like a (front loader) washing machine with the food going round and round Puke Puke Puke

[b]OP:[/b]

Put up a camera in front of the kid, and make him/her see what is looks like.

Tell the kid you will not be able to put him/her on the shidduchim market when time comes because nobody wants to marry such a slob.

rymy

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 4:20 am
I agree that it's bothersome, and it very well might be just a bad habit, but keep in mind that severe nasal congestion can make it very difficult for people to chew with their mouths closed.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 4:34 am
We had a therapist working with a kid with bad table manners. we were told to try a mirror on the table in front of them to see how they look when they eat and so they can be more conscious of closing their mouth. if this is a spouse we're talking abt I'm guessing it wont go over well, but if it's a child maybe it can be worked on. with that said, I have two "chompers" in my family and me and my dh are always barking at them to chew with their mouths closed when we hear the awful chewing noises.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 4:47 am
It is really annoying and a gross habit, however, some people have trouble breathing and can't eat with their mouth closed, so we should be sensitive to this too.

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:16 am
malki2 wrote:
I can’t stand it either. I probably have misphonia.

Maybe, but people who chew loudly or with open mouths are still rude and gross.

Just to be clear. Smile

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:21 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
It is really annoying and a gross habit, however, some people have trouble breathing and can't eat with their mouth closed, so we should be sensitive to this too.

So they only breed through their mouth constantly? That calls for medical intervention.

IMO most people chewing with mouth open do not suffer from nasal congestion.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:25 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
We had a therapist working with a kid with bad table manners. we were told to try a mirror on the table in front of them to see how they look when they eat and so they can be more conscious of closing their mouth. if this is a spouse we're talking abt I'm guessing it wont go over well, but if it's a child maybe it can be worked on. with that said, I have two "chompers" in my family and me and my dh are always barking at them to chew with their mouths closed when we hear the awful chewing noises.

How did it go with the bad mannered kid? Pls elborate

malki2

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:42 am
DrMom wrote:
Maybe, but people who chew loudly or with open mouths are still rude and gross.

Just to be clear. Smile

Of course. It’s not like I freak out from the sound of people clicking their knives and forks on their plates while they eat normally. It’s only from weird, annoying type noises like chewing and tapping and snorting.

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 12:12 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
So they only breed through their mouth constantly? That calls for medical intervention.

There are some life forms that breed through their mouths, but homo sapiens is not one of them. If you know of any homo sapiens attempting to breed through the mouth, the intervention required is probably educational or psychological rather than medical.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 12:33 pm
This subject really triggers me. I have a sibling who is always yelling at everyone to chew according to her rules without a single sound. The funny part is that I cannot stand the AMOUNT she eats. Would she like for me to bark at her to stop gobbling food like that?

One has to work on their middos. I get that some people are more sensitive than others but there is still no reason to police them on this matter.

Mothers can remind their children and can put a few humorously written rules in the kitchen so they see it while they eat.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 12:35 pm
I have a child that chews and eats like this due to low muscle tone, among other issues.
Child CANT eat with mouth closed.

A little consideration never hurt anyone
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette