Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Help buying a sheitel for the first time (and online too)
1  2  3  Next

MrsMalka

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:16 pm
Does anyone have any thoughts on where to buy a sheitel online for someone completely new to sheitels?

I have never bought or worn a sheitel before (I'm a Sephardic BT who typically wears mitpachot/ tichels), but I want to buy a sheitel (preferably under $500) and am a bit lost.

I like the look of Olokey Wigs because they have good prices and are kosher certified, but I can't find reviews or discussions about them online. Also, Lena's Wigs seems nice.

For me, it's important that a sheitel at least somewhat "looks like a sheitel" because I believe it's important to be clear that I am covering my hair and look religious. However, I also don't want the wigs to look "cheap" or "fake" like some of the wigs in that Unorthodox series. Is that reasonable to expect of a sheitel that does not cost thousands of dollars?

amother
Gray

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:19 pm
[unhelpful comment removed]

MrsMalka

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:46 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

[unhelpful comment removed]

I don't "hold wearing mitpachot." But anyway, thanks for not answering the question and harshly judging a person you don't know.

Malkqueen

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:51 pm
I don't have a recommendation for a particular brand or site, but if your budget is under $500, would you consider a fall? They are cheaper than full wigs, so you can probably get better quality for that price.
Also, would you consider a second-hand wig? You may be better off with a wig that has good hair, even if it's used, than with a cheaper wig thats brand new.

MrsMalka

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:54 pm
Malkqueen wrote:
I don't have a recommendation for a particular brand or site, but if your budget is under $500, would you consider a fall? They are cheaper than full wigs, so you can probably get better quality for that price.
Also, would you consider a second-hand wig? You may be better off with a wig that has good hair, even if it's used, than with a cheaper wig thats brand new.

I don't entirely understand what a fall is...

A second-hand wig would be fine.

Malkqueen

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:01 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
I don't entirely understand what a fall is...

A second-hand wig would be fine.

A fall wig is a wig that isn't finished in the front. You wear it with a sweatband or beanie or cap.
If you post your general location, maybe some imas know of people who sell second-hand wigs in your area.
Buying a wig is a very personal experience. If at all possible, I would tell you not to buy online, unless it is returnable. You really have to try it on and feel the texture of the hair to be comfortable with it.

MrsMalka

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:12 pm
Malkqueen wrote:
A fall wig is a wig that isn't finished in the front. You wear it with a sweatband or beanie or cap.
If you post your general location, maybe some imas know of people who sell second-hand wigs in your area.
Buying a wig is a very personal experience. If at all possible, I would tell you not to buy online, unless it is returnable. You really have to try it on and feel the texture of the hair to be comfortable with it.

The sites I am looking at all allow returns. I don't like going to places like sheitelmachers for the same reason I don't like going to the doctor or mikveh (although I of course do) - I'm a very private and personal person - I don't want others "up in my business."

My location is New York.

Frumme

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:16 pm
Freeda is a good, reputable company that will mail you sheitels to try on. Take a look at their past seasons/discontinued section, where you can find a nice sheitel for ~400-500 (maybe a little more or less depending on your color and length preference).

If you're looking into second hand, I have heard good things about Doppelganger Wigs by Rae Lloyd (on Facebook).

MrsMalka

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:25 pm
Frumme wrote:
Freeda is a good, reputable company that will mail you sheitels to try on. Take a look at their past seasons/discontinued section, where you can find a nice sheitel for ~400-500 (maybe a little more or less depending on your color and length preference).

If you're looking into second hand, I have heard good things about Doppelganger Wigs by Rae Lloyd (on Facebook).

What do you mean by past "seasons?" Hair goes through seasons?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:30 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
The sites I am looking at all allow returns. I don't like going to places like sheitelmachers for the same reason I don't like going to the doctor or mikveh (although I of course do) - I'm a very private and personal person - I don't want others "up in my business."

My location is New York.

M
Where in the world are you planning to wear that wig?

MrsMalka

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:32 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
M
Where in the world are you planning to wear that wig?

I don't really understand the point of your question.

Frumme

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:47 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
What do you mean by past "seasons?" Hair goes through seasons?

They go through seasonal styles just like clothes, like how lace front wigs are having a "moment" now or how balayage was really "in" a few years ago. It just means certain cuts aren't super fashionable anymore so they aren't selling as well and get put on the sale rack.

MrsMalka

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:49 pm
Frumme wrote:
They go through seasonal styles just like clothes, like how lace front wigs are having a "moment" now or how balayage was really "in" a few years ago. It just means certain cuts aren't super fashionable anymore so they aren't selling as well and get put on the sale rack.

Ah, ok - thanks for the explanation.

I don't really follow "fashion" or "trends." I plan on just having a sheitel that I like - I don't care what others think or if my sheitel and clothes are "fashionable" enough for them.

CiCi

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 12:12 am
Seems like people were happy with ebm wigs from China.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....57786

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 8:45 am
Malky Wigs
She has listings on eBay but then you can contact her and really through what you'd like

amother
Pink

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 8:51 am
I have two wigs from China I am happy with. Would that interest you?

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:39 am
Can you order a couple models of synthetic sheitels on Aliexpress to try them out first? This way you get some experience before investing $$$. Most people find their first sheitel to be a total miss...

just me!!

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:15 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I have two wigs from China I am happy with. Would that interest you?

Could you post a link?

Tzippy323

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 11:29 am
With everything that is going on right now, why oh why would anyone want to buy from China?

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 11:31 am
Tzippy323 wrote:
With everything that is going on right now, why oh why would anyone want to buy from China?

Lol why not? Do you know how much of what you use on a daily basis comes from China?
I have an activity for you, go through your house and throw out everything with a made in China label
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels