Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Is this permanent -lost sense of smell??
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:06 am
I lost my sense of smell about 6-7 weeks ago... Still not back. Anyone else have it for this long?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:39 am
My smell never came back fully 2 months later
I can only smell things if its intentional and even then I have to try.
I had very good sense of smell before... thinking when I get pregnant one day again it'll come back

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:12 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
My smell never came back fully 2 months later
I can only smell things if its intentional and even then I have to try.
I had very good sense of smell before... thinking when I get pregnant one day again it'll come back
Smile

Lol, I'm pregnant now!!!

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:16 am
It will come back. It can take a long time for some people to get their sense of smell back.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 12:31 pm
flowerpower wrote:
It will come back. It can take a long time for some people to get their sense of smell back.

I hope so!!
I now appreciate the sense of smell which I always took for granted...
-I'm burning food left and right Banging head
-I don't know when my toddler has a dirty -daiper until someone else lets me know Can't Believe It
-I can't tell if the kids clothes(that they pile out when deciding what to wear) is clean or smelly...
-The other day, one of the burner's gas was on without the flame and luckily my husband smelled it upstairs...
- I can't tell if milk is spoiled...

The list goes on

realsilver

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:28 pm
My husbands took about 7 weeks to come back.
Hang in there!

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:56 pm
I got my sense of smell back B"H. It took about 2 weeks for me.

I heard that the brain cells that process smell can "forget" how to smell or atrophy...and right from the beginning, I tried to smell a few things every day, even if I couldn't smell anything at all. And little by little, I began to smell some things very very slightly...and then my smell came back very very gradually.

Try to practice smelling...the hand soap in your bathroom, your hand lotion, your shampoo bottle...those are all good things to try. If you can smell something, then keep smelling that item more and more to help your smell come back.

I was able to smell citrus first, before I could smell other stuff, and I practiced trying to smell the citrus hand soap in my bathroom. I was able to smell that before a different, minty soap in another bathroom. Try to smell the smells you can smell first, and do it often, and it may help.

Hope this makes sense (no pun intended).....

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hope so!!
I now appreciate the sense of smell which I always took for granted...
-I'm burning food left and right Banging head
-I don't know when my toddler has a dirty -daiper until someone else lets me know Can't Believe It
-I can't tell if the kids clothes(that they pile out when deciding what to wear) is clean or smelly...
-The other day, one of the burner's gas was on without the flame and luckily my husband smelled it upstairs...
- I can't tell if milk is spoiled...

The list goes on

I literally had your entire list of issues when I lost my sense of smell. Hope you get it back soon

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:04 pm
It seems to be one of the very LAST things to come back to normal, according to everything I've read.

It took me well over 2 months, and some things still smell or taste a little bit off. I can't tell if they are slightly spoiled, or if it's just me, so now I'm paranoid about food poisoning.

penguin

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:05 pm
Any of you tried zinc? Supposed to help restore the sense of smell.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:08 pm
penguin wrote:
Any of you tried zinc? Supposed to help restore the sense of smell.

I took 1 zinc tablet every day from when I got the virus for several days. Gave everyone in my family, too.

Then the bottle I had in the house used up, and couldn't get any more.

Maybe it helped....I did get my sense of scents back B"H.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 1:27 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I got my sense of smell back B"H. It took about 2 weeks for me.

I heard that the brain cells that process smell can "forget" how to smell or atrophy...and right from the beginning, I tried to smell a few things every day, even if I couldn't smell anything at all. And little by little, I began to smell some things very very slightly...and then my smell came back very very gradually.

Try to practice smelling...the hand soap in your bathroom, your hand lotion, your shampoo bottle...those are all good things to try. If you can smell something, then keep smelling that item more and more to help your smell come back.

I was able to smell citrus first, before I could smell other stuff, and I practiced trying to smell the citrus hand soap in my bathroom. I was able to smell that before a different, minty soap in another bathroom. Try to smell the smells you can smell first, and do it often, and it may help.

Hope this makes sense (no pun intended).....

Thanks for the suggestion!
PSA: when trying to smell coffee and you don't smell anything, bringing it closer to your nose won't help, you'll just end up breathing in coffee!! Wink

amother
Oak

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 2:04 pm
You can try zinc.
I took it daily since I started showing symptoms, and bh got my sense back after 4 days. My husband who doesn't take vitamins, took lot longer to get it back.
Heard from others that it helped them too.
I have a much greater appreciation for something I always took for granted till now. Food and even coffee tasted so bla.
#TYH

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 2:07 pm
What kind of zinc do I take?
When I called a few pharmacys a few weeks ago, they were all out of zinc. Maybe they restocked? Gonna try

greatgirl

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 6:13 pm
I also lost my smell.. sometime between Purim and pesach. I just started smelling some things again.. prob 20%. My husband only lost his smell for a few weeks.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 6:22 pm
It's been 8.5 weeks and I still cannot smell a thing. I've been taking zinc the whole time.
I read an article from Stanford University that it could be permanent for some people, and needs to be addressed right away, but my ENT won't see me until the second week of June! Said it can wait and he is only allowed to see real emergencies. Crying

https://scopeblog.stanford.edu.....mell/

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, May 13 2020, 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

chanar

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 6:29 pm
My DH and I both lost our sense of smell like 7 weeks ago... right now we can both take say the cinnamon or coffee and we get the smell on the first try but after that, nothing. I don’t smell burning, cooking, Cholent nothing! Today one of my kids had accident and there was no smell at all 😂 made changing him a breeze! I do hope it comes back soon though.. the thought of it being permanent is a little frightening. And we both had the mildest covid symptoms.. like 2 days of body aches, no fever no coughing nothing.. oh well!

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 6:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's been 8.5 weeks and I still cannot smell a thing. I've been taking zinc the whole time.
I read an article from Stanford University that it could be permanent for some people, and needs to be addressed right away, but my ENT won't see me until the second week of June! Said it can wait and he is only allowed to see real emergencies. Crying

Oh my, I am freaking out!!

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 6:34 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
It seems to be one of the very LAST things to come back to normal, according to everything I've read.

It took me well over 2 months, and some things still smell or taste a little bit off. I can't tell if they are slightly spoiled, or if it's just me, so now I'm paranoid about food poisoning.

You tested positive for COVID?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 6:34 pm
I also gradually getting smell and taste back. It’s so weird and it comes in steps. I can taste most food. Chocolate I still can’t taste for example. The real taste of meat and steak which I love I also can’t taste.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics