Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
How Are We Spending The Month Of June
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 5:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yup. My mom always says they had no daycamps in her days and her summers were always the opposite of boring. I guess we’re spoiled and just used to having a few hours break every day.
But saying that people are starving in Africa wont help when we don’t like dinner.
I know it’s not a tzara to have healthy kids home and bored. I KNOW IT ALL BUT WILL YOU KINDLY REOPEN THE SCHOOLS? Banging head

Keep in mind: I’m stuck in my house now with few options. It’s different then giving children endless time to frolic outside in nature

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 5:35 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Keep in mind: I’m stuck in my house now with few options. It’s different then giving children endless time to frolic outside in nature

No endless frolicking here, I can’t leave mine unsupervised so sitting in front of the house with them isn’t that different than at home. You can probably do the same. I do allow them to mingle with neighbors who are outside too. It’s still under my constant watch.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 5:41 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Are the private groups done in the clients home only?

At this point yes. All the parks are closed. But there are clients that get a group together and alternate homes. Each time a different house. Or some people just host all the time.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 5:43 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Did you ever wonder what people did 50 or 100 years ago? People often had large families. There were pioneers who went West and lived miles and miles from anyone (Little House on the Prairie). There were no electronics, no trampolines, rarely did anyone but the 1% afford cleaning help or nannies.

Yet somehow, people survived.

It's a fact that kids will whine when they are bored. It's also a fact that a child cannot be bored for more than 5 minutes, 10 at the most, before they will find something to do on their own. Kids can entertain themselves for hours with nothing but a mud puddle, some rocks, and a stick.

As a matter of fact, getting bored is extremely healthy for kids. You do not have to be the entertainment director. Kids need to use their imagination with what is already on hand, and figure things out for themselves.

They will whine, but they will find something to do! A little bit of "benign neglect" is a gift you give to your kids. It will open up a whole new world for them, and make them use brain cells they didn't even know they had. They will often amaze you, impress you, and they might even make you cards that say "I luv u mom".

Have you read To Kill A Mockingbird? A worthy read, but that's not my point. It's set about 90ish years ago, in a sleepy little town down South. You can learn a lot from the book, but the thought that was mostly on my mind was "These people were so beyond bored!"
I believe suicide was more common back then than it is now.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 5:47 pm
FTR, I do believe in letting kids get a little bored. What's going on right now though, is beyond what I'd call ok. Especially for those of us stuck in tiny Brooklyn apartments.

gold21

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 5:57 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Did you ever wonder what people did 50 or 100 years ago? People often had large families. There were pioneers who went West and lived miles and miles from anyone (Little House on the Prairie). There were no electronics, no trampolines, rarely did anyone but the 1% afford cleaning help or nannies.

It's a fact that kids will whine when they are bored. It's also a fact that a child cannot be bored for more than 5 minutes, 10 at the most, before they will find something to do on their own. Kids can entertain themselves for hours with nothing but a mud puddle, some rocks, and a stick.

As a matter of fact, getting bored is extremely healthy for kids. You do not have to be the entertainment director. Kids need to use their imagination with what is already on hand, and figure things out for themselves.

They will whine, but they will find something to do! A little bit of "benign neglect" is a gift you give to your kids. It will open up a whole new world for them, and make them use brain cells they didn't even know they had. They will often amaze you, impress you, and they might even make you cards that say "I luv u mom".

I assure you that 50-100 years ago, kids played with other kids in the neighborhood and got into all sorts of fun and mischief. They also were very involved in the goings-on in the home, the boys helping their father outdoors and the girls helping their mother indoors.

For the most part, they didn't sit around with nothing to do all day.

If anything, life was more communal then, not less. Shtetl style life, which was very common in Europe, wasn't exactly isolating or boring.

Isolation isn't some sort of old fashioned ideal. I'm all for free play and less structure like the good old days that you reference, but isolation and total boredom is not something I would sing the praises of.

Last edited by gold21 on Tue, May 26 2020, 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 6:16 pm
gold21 wrote:
I assure you that 50-100 years ago, kids played with other kids in the neighborhood and got into all sorts of fun and mischief. They also were very involved in the goings-on in the home. For the most part, they didn't sit around with nothing to do all day.

If anything, life was more communal then, not less. Shtetl style life, which was very common in Europe, wasn't exactly isolating.

Isolation isn't some sort of old fashioned ideal. I'm all for free play and less structure like the good old days that you reference, but isolation and total boredom is not something I would sing the praises of.

Yea they milked the cows and took the chickens to the rav to ask if it’s kosher. They handwashed the laundry too. They were far from bored.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 6:24 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I arrange private group activities if you’re interested. Not sure where you’re located.

Do you have a man to give private lessons of karate to a teenage boy?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 6:25 pm
I just keep telling myself "What if the snow was 6 feet deep, and you couldn't get out of the house?"

"The Long Winter" is one of the most depressing Little House books in the series, but it certainly does make you appreciate what you have.

I'm an old fogey (get off my lawn!) Mad

I remember when having two Barbies and 4 outfits for them was considered a luxury. My parents couldn't afford the Dream House and all the fancy accessories, so my sister and I had to make doll furniture with cut up cardboard, tape, and bits of fabric trim. Shoe boxes were prized items.

Sammy Girl

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 6:29 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Love your post, Frantic Frummie!!

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 6:32 pm
I am in a low energy state right now and I signed up my kids on abcmouse.com. Very educational and fun for kids. I don't love when they get tons of screen time but for those times when I just need some kind of activity to give me breathing space, it works like a charm. And I feel good too because it's all educational and learning Wink

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 6:49 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Do you have a man to give private lessons of karate to a teenage boy?

Sure.

behappy2

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yup. My mom always says they had no daycamps in her days and her summers were always the opposite of boring. I guess we’re spoiled and just used to having a few hours break every day.
But saying that people are starving in Africa wont help when we don’t like dinner.
I know it’s not a tzara to have healthy kids home and bored. I KNOW IT ALL BUT WILL YOU KINDLY REOPEN THE SCHOOLS? Banging head

Her point was stop trying so hard to entertain them and all of you can lean in to the boredom. It's a good thing. I actually did a thread on this topic once. Didn't go over well... Smile and can't say I'm good at it myself but I'd like to be.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:06 pm
behappy2 wrote:
Her point was stop trying so hard to entertain them and all of you can lean in to the boredom. It's a good thing. I actually did a thread on this topic once. Didn't go over well... Smile and can't say I'm good at it myself but I'd like to be.

Not sure what you’re implying but this thread is very nice and I appreciate every response.

behappy2

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:08 pm
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]Not sure what you’re implying but this thread is very nice and I appreciate every response.[/quote

All of you is you and your kids.

Wasn't Implying anything. It's all plain English..

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:14 pm
[quote="behappy2"]
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not sure what you’re implying but this thread is very nice and I appreciate every response.[/quote

All of you is you and your kids.

Wasn't Implying anything. It's all plain English..

I knew that every OP risks being bashed. Sometimes it’s their own fault and sometimes someone is just having a hard day. I will choose to ignore this one and continue enjoying the conversation we are having like until now. I do appreciate every response though.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:14 pm
I fully intent for the month of june to make a merry-go-round or a round robin.
My 5 y.o child is a shadow of herself without friends.
My 3 year old is my "self entertain" child but my baby is a handful. My day goes fastest when I have adult company. I feel relate and commiserate..

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I knew that every OP risks being bashed. Sometimes it’s their own fault and sometimes someone is just having a hard day. I will choose to ignore this one and continue enjoying the conversation we are having like until now. I do appreciate every response though.

I can’t imagine why you’re taking offense at that post. I keep rereading it to see if I missed something...

gold21

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:58 pm
behappy2 wrote:

Do you recommend adults "lean in" to boredom as well?

Purpose and connection, as I mentioned on a recent thread about what brings us happiness, is vital to everyone, children and adults alike.

I wouldn't advise anyone to lean into a lifestyle that devalues either purpose and/or connection.

When we have no other choice, it is what it is. But to view it as ideal.... Nah.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 8:17 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

My kids don't have very structured lives, aside from school (when that's a thing). They still get plenty bored. And sure, they find something to do, but most of the time it involves fighting with a sibling. Not a single loving card has been handed to me these past three months. Perhaps if I lived on the banks of plum creek they would skip in rosy-cheeked at the end of the day with a bouquet of wildflowers. Alas, we live in the city, and the only thing we accumulate are messes.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics