Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Social Distancing
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 12:52 pm
My adult daughter who lives in flatbush has told me that she and her friends are not following the CDC guidelines of Social Distancing and masks. She claims that most people there had it and are there is a herd immunity. I am worried about her especially since she is expecting. I am following the restrictions to a tee as recommended by my Dr due to age and underlying issues. She thinks I am being paranoid. I am asking the young people in that area so f they can relate? Thanks

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 12:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My adult daughter who lives in flatbush has told me that she and her friends are not following the CDC guidelines of Social Distancing and masks. She claims that most people there had it and are there is a herd immunity. I am worried about her especially since she is expecting. I am following the restrictions to a tee as recommended by my Dr due to age and underlying issues. She thinks I am being paranoid. I am asking the young people in that area so f they can relate? Thanks

I don’t know anyone under 40 who is still SD in NYC.
Even if they are, their kids are not so it’s the same exposure.
So your question should be is anyone in NYC still in quarantine with their entire family since March?

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:03 pm
I don't think anyone has been "quarantining" since March.

My crowd in their 20s in Manhattan is still taking it seriously. I've seen people lighten it up a bit in that they'll go to the park and sit 6+ feet apart but there have been no shabbat meals or anything like usual.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:07 pm
I'm in Crown Heights, we're following the guidelines loosely. No big crowds, no one immunocompromised or elderly, masks in the store etc. But we're getting together with friends

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:11 pm
Can I ask if the Drs in NYC are ok with young folks under 40 not following restrictions? I heard that BH the number went down but it is far from over. Is it true that most people in the frum areas had it?? I have a neice on the upper west side who has been following these restrictions since March. She is BH in her 30s and healthy. Are the younger people visiting parents who are in their 60s?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:13 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
I don't think anyone has been "quarantining" since March.

My crowd in their 20s in Manhattan is still taking it seriously. I've seen people lighten it up a bit in that they'll go to the park and sit 6+ feet apart but there have been no shabbat meals or anything like usual.

We’ve been in 100% quarantine in March and April. Not anymore since mid May.
At that point I couldn’t risk my kids and my own sanity anymore compared to the smaller risk of still getting infected. Same with everyone in my age bracket I know. I’m in mid 30’s with a couple of kids.
But hey, I dont know everyone.
OP you’re not being paranoid. It’s all one big unknown. You can continue SD if you feel it’s still necessary at your age and stage. But I’d let your adult daughter make her own decisions.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:14 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I'm in Crown Heights, we're following the guidelines loosely. No big crowds, no one immunocompromised or elderly, masks in the store etc. But we're getting together with friends

Would you “hug” or “kiss” someone you see at a simcha? ( small and outside simcha). Do you go to parents in their 60s with underlying issues?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can I ask if the Drs in NYC are ok with young folks under 40 not following restrictions? I heard that BH the number went down but it is far from over. Is it true that most people in the frum areas had it?? I have a neice on the upper west side who has been following these restrictions since March. She is BH in her 30s and healthy. Are the younger people visiting parents who are in their 60s?

We are not yet visiting our parents 60+

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:20 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
We’ve been in 100% quarantine in March and April. Not anymore since mid May.
At that point I couldn’t risk my kids and my own sanity anymore compared to the smaller risk of still getting infected. Same with everyone in my age bracket I know. I’m in mid 30’s with a couple of kids.
But hey, I dont know everyone.
OP you’re not being paranoid. It’s all one big unknown. You can continue SD if you feel it’s still necessary at your age and stage. But I’d let your adult daughter make her own decisions.

I am especially nervous bec BH she is pregnant. I wanted her to get an antibody test bec she might of been exposed in March. Her obgyn advised against it because he feels its not that accurate. She did say as well as another daughter in the 30s that they are losing their sanity with the restrictions. Maybe its easier for the older people to follow also because we know we are not living forever and are Petrified of getting sick

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would you “hug” or “kiss” someone you see at a simcha? ( small and outside simcha). Do you go to parents in their 60s with underlying issues?

Yes to the simcha, no to the parents. The simcha would only be young, low risk people. My parents don't live here but I think people only come visit them with masks and social distancing or they sit outside

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:24 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
We are not yet visiting our parents 60+

Thank you! One of my kids are afraid for us and wont come but all the others are chilled and think we are paranoid. My friends who have adult kids in the 40s and 50s say that their kids are extremely protective and worried about them. Im starting to think that maybe kids in the 30s are not as mature and in denial about the well being of their parents

Tzippy323

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:26 pm
I am 60+, immunocompromised, and have numerous health challenges. I have not left my home since March 18. A big outing for me is taking the garbage to the curb. If everyone else doesn’t continue to follow rules of social distancing, masks, etc., I will never be able to get out of my house. My safety depends on what everyone else does. I am slowly losing my mind.

Tzippy323

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:28 pm
I am 60+, immunocompromised, and have numerous health challenges. I have not left my home since March 18. A big outing for me is taking the garbage to the curb. If everyone else doesn’t continue to follow rules of social distancing, masks, etc., I will never be able to get out of my house. My safety depends on what everyone else does. I am slowly losing my mind.

happy chick

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My kids go to my mother's house to play outside every shabbos as we have no outdoor space. This shabbos, she let them in the house for the first time. I wasn't thrilled about it but it was her choice, I didn't even know until they came home. She's over 60 w no underlying condition s and bh healthy.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:32 pm
I'm a bit younger than your daughter, also pregnant, same neighborhood. Also not taking antibody test as it doesn't seem accurate.
I don't take the subway, and I try to wash my hands with soap and encourage my family to do the same.
I wear masks when I go to the store.
I do visit my parents, they both tested positive before pesach, had mild cases and seem fine by now. I would go to an outdoor simcha but not so sure about an indoor one.
My grandma is very healthy and in her 60s, she's often by my parents. I try not to see her but she came over last week to the Friday night meal knowing we were there, because she misses my kids.
I don't hug or kiss anyone except my immediate family living with me.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:34 pm
High 30s, pregnant, Lakewood area. I am the only person I know (around my age bracket and younger) who doesn’t have my cleaning help back and won’t go away for shabbos. Loosened up in a lot of areas, but not because I was going insane. It was for my kids. I’m happy to social distance for as long as it’s socially acceptable Very Happy

Parents in their 60s/70s still very careful.
In laws in their 60s similar to me I think.

I happen to think I had it already, but haven’t bothered with the antibody test, because they’re so unreliable.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:35 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:

I have a friend who is 75. She does go to senior hour at the stores, pharmacy, hardware stores, and takes walks as well. She also had a social distancing visit with her family. She said she was tested for coronavirus and antibodies and both came back negative so that means she is still at risk. I dont know how any of this will be resolved if people who are older will continue to be at risk while NY reopens.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you! One of my kids are afraid for us and wont come but all the others are chilled and think we are paranoid. My friends who have adult kids in the 40s and 50s say that their kids are extremely protective and worried about them. Im starting to think that maybe kids in the 30s are not as mature and in denial about the well being of their parents

It’s the parents choice whether they should allow visits or not. Nobody can force themselves into your house if you’d still like to SD.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:41 pm
I am in Far Rockaway. My entire family (mostly in our 30s with young kids) is still following all the SD guidelines and only going out for groceries (and for work for those who are essential workers). We have not been in my parents' house at all - they are in their 60s. Our kids do not play with other kids. The doctors here are still recommending people not go into other homes, especially those of older or vulnerable people.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am especially nervous bec BH she is pregnant. I wanted her to get an antibody test bec she might of been exposed in March. Her obgyn advised against it because he feels its not that accurate. She did say as well as another daughter in the 30s that they are losing their sanity with the restrictions. Maybe its easier for the older people to follow also because we know we are not living forever and are Petrified of getting sick

It’s easier for the older people to follow because they don’t have young kids still living at home. Close to impossible to SD with kids this long.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics