Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Social Distancing
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Miri1

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 3:29 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I am sorry for you on many levels. The fear, the isolation and loneliness...
Can you please explain how it works- if people will social distance, then how does that allow you out of the house quicker? From what I understand the numbers are on the decline, and the point was to flatten the curve. The GP in my neighborhood (Boro Park) says that if both parents of a family have antibodies, its reasonable to expect that they are not currently at risk.
Please elaborate so I can understand this better.

Now that the curve has been flattened, the rules have loosened.
But many people will feel a lot safer if those around them were more respectful with their mask wearing.
Somehow it's fallen on the elderly and vulnerable to don the mask.
But their real protection comes when people around them are considerate enough to wear them.
So if no-one can be bothered... well, then the our elders, and the many other immuno-compromised end up having to stay home. Not so fair. It's not the biggest deal to put on a mask - people wear all sorts of other uncomfortable things in the name of fashion etc.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 3:34 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I'm in Crown Heights, we're following the guidelines loosely. No big crowds, no one immunocompromised or elderly, masks in the store etc. But we're getting together with friends

Which is why your neighborhood was hit so hard

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 3:38 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I am in Far Rockaway. My entire family (mostly in our 30s with young kids) is still following all the SD guidelines and only going out for groceries (and for work for those who are essential workers). We have not been in my parents' house at all - they are in their 60s. Our kids do not play with other kids. The doctors here are still recommending people not go into other homes, especially those of older or vulnerable people.

Is carona still going around by you? Good that some young people are still taking precaution. My kids told me that in their circle, people broke it because they felt too restricted being home all day esp with all the kids!

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 3:39 pm
We’re the opposite of many people here. We are being careful and only socializing distantly outside with friends so that we can see our parents/they can see their grandkids. We’re in our 30s as well. 🤷‍♀️

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 4:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is carona still going around by you? Good that some young people are still taking precaution. My kids told me that in their circle, people broke it because they felt too restricted being home all day esp with all the kids!

It is definitely much less than it was, but it is not like it has been eradicated from our area. So it is not "going around" the way it was a couple months ago, but it does still exist here and can be spread. We are following the advice the doctors in our area have been giving. But yes, many people who have many and/or young kids have not been keeping it up. We do go outside for walks with just the people who live in our house and have some socially distanced visits with masks.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 4:19 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
We’re the opposite of many people here. We are being careful and only socializing distantly outside with friends so that we can see our parents/they can see their grandkids. We’re in our 30s as well. 🤷‍♀️

Same. But were in the 20's

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 4:24 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Same. But were in the 20's

Do you mean that you are trying not to expose yourself to people outside of your household so that you can see your parents in a normal way without being a risk for them? I did hear some people are doing that and I admire your devotion to your parents and self dicsipline!

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 4:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you mean that you are trying not to expose yourself to people outside of your household so that you can see your parents in a normal way without being a risk for them? I did hear some people are doing that and I admire your devotion to your parents and self dicsipline!

I am not the poster you are commenting on, but for my family as well that is one of the big reasons we are still being so careful with SD.

tinyspark

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:07 am
[quote]
am 60+, immunocompromised, and have numerous health challenges. I have not left my home since March 18. A big outing for me is taking the garbage to the curb. If everyone else doesn’t continue to follow rules of social distancing, masks, etc., I will never be able to get out of my house. My safety depends on what everyone else does. I am slowly losing my mind.
Your mental health is more important now then the slight chance you will get corona chas vshalom. The Drs. In my community( in Brooklyn) has said that at this point most people have gotten it and those that dont know should go out on walks,shopping when neccassary. have visits from family who are social distance from you or outside.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:32 am
I am in UK and early 40.
My kids (between 17-9 years) think I am paranoid and over cautious.
I wear gloves and mask in shops but hardly anyone else does. No visiting people inside the house yet, just in garden with distance.
Haven't visited my parents (over 70) yet just talking through the window or across the street.

busy mommy

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am also anti body negative and in 60s. Its the same here in Florida. All young people are back out and at work while the governor advised all seniors to take caution until vaccine.

Not sure which part of Florida you live in but my friends (Only the same few I have seen since this started) and I (30s) will meet outdoors only with social distancing. We all wear masks whenever we go out further than our building

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's not really about that. It's about not wanting to get sick and go to a hospital or die.
Just because I'm young and healthy and probably will be fine - that doesn't mean I will be. This is NOT a joke. Does anyone think it's fun to get corona?

I know 2 otherwise healthy and young people in their twenties who ended up on ventilators. One now has a liver condition for the rest of his life and another has heart disease as a result of corona and the treatments.

Science it starting to show that even people who get corona mildly - it affects their body. They may have conditions from it for life...

We are social distancing from EVERYONE. We meet family and friends in open spaces, with SD, masks, etc. We do not go to crowded places, indoor places for long, use bathrooms outside of our house. If a store has workers not wearing masks and keeping the rules we have no regrets calling the police or city.

soap suds

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 7:58 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

No. It’s the other way around. Because they were so hard hit, they can afford to be lax with the rules.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 8:06 am
Tzippy323 wrote:
I am 60+, immunocompromised, and have numerous health challenges. I have not left my home since March 18. A big outing for me is taking the garbage to the curb. If everyone else doesn’t continue to follow rules of social distancing, masks, etc., I will never be able to get out of my house. My safety depends on what everyone else does. I am slowly losing my mind.

I’m not being careful anymore because I already had coronavirus. I was very sick in April for a few weeks. Very, very sick. I still quarantined for 5 weeks after I was better but I slowly realized that there is no point anymore.
Many of the people who are going out, already had it and have built up antibodies. You could check if you have antibodies so you might be able to leave your house.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 11:32 am
busy mommy wrote:
Not sure which part of Florida you live in but my friends (Only the same few I have seen since this started) and I (30s) will meet outdoors only with social distancing. We all wear masks whenever we go out further than our building

My daughter in Florida ( 30s) told me that many people dropped the restrictions bec they were getting depressed. She lives in hollywood. Some one else told me that on Shabbat she sees groups walking together with no Social Distance and maskless. Its good that you are being on the strict side

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 2:16 pm
Miri1 wrote:
Now that the curve has been flattened, the rules have loosened.
But many people will feel a lot safer if those around them were more respectful with their mask wearing.
Somehow it's fallen on the elderly and vulnerable to don the mask.
But their real protection comes when people around them are considerate enough to wear them.
So if no-one can be bothered... well, then the our elders, and the many other immuno-compromised end up having to stay home. Not so fair. It's not the biggest deal to put on a mask - people wear all sorts of other uncomfortable things in the name of fashion etc.
If it was enough to rely on masks and social distancing we wouldn't have been encouraged to stay home. If I was really vulnerable I don't think I would go out, even with people around wearing masks and strictly SDing. Maybe I am not getting something.

Miri1

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 7:14 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
If it was enough to rely on masks and social distancing we wouldn't have been encouraged to stay home. If I was really vulnerable I don't think I would go out, even with people around wearing masks and strictly SDing. Maybe I am not getting something.

Well it's all about risk.
If you're in a hotspot, well then yeah you would be encouraged to stay home more than getting together with distance and mask.
If the numbers are down, there is less risk involved when people start getting together in that way.
And it's also true that a vulnerable person may want to limit it.

But I'm not in the a high risk group b"H, and guess what... I don't want to get it either!
So when I attend a small SD group and others don't bother with the mask, I also don't appreciate the risk they have decided I should have to deal with, just because they can't be bothered.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 7:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would you “hug” or “kiss” someone you see at a simcha? ( small and outside simcha). Do you go to parents in their 60s with underlying issues?

No way would I hug or kiss someone. I wouldn't go to a simcha unless it was a simcha of a sibling or child of sibling.

I go to work because I have to. Started this week. I put the mask on when I leave my cubicle. I started walking to work this week without a mask. Last 3 months I wore a mask anytime I left the house. Now I put it on my mask when I enter the work building or go into a food store. I shop clothes online.

I would not go inside to parent in 60s with underlying issues. Only outdoor visiting 6 feet apart with masks.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 7:25 pm
soap suds wrote:
No. It’s the other way around. Because they were so hard hit, they can afford to be lax with the rules.

Actually, the neighborhood was hard hit because people were lax.
They are lax now because they have always been lax. That's how they got sick in the first place.
Now they are lucky that being lax is ok because they already have so many antibodies. It came at a very steep price and many people were lost.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Jun 09 2020, 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Refine

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 7:25 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

Not nice and not true.
Crown heights was hit before and more severely because the Chabad community is very international and travels alot.
At a Simcha relatives from Italy, morroco and China get together.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics