Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Can I ask for refund or return?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 8:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Its a bulky dress it took up the whole box there was no space between the top of the box and the dress there was also no paper or plastic on top of the dress to protect it. I dont understand why I cant ask them for any money back if Im completely honest with them.

So why are you asking here if you think you’re right?

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 8:34 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
So why are you asking here if you think you’re right?

She’s asking for an opinion. I really don’t understand why you’re so upset. This wasn’t supposed to be an argument.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 8:35 pm
Surplus wrote:
Salmon why are you yelling? Not listening
So many places try to give good customer service. I’d certainly explain the situation and try. They will actually be impressed with your honesty when you tell them that you did it unintentionally. Let us know what happens.

Yelling? Are you hearing voices? Laugh

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 8:38 pm

Yes! It was kind of LOUD!

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 8:43 pm
You can definitely try your luck. Call them up and tell them what happened. Big department stores might give you a refund or exchange.

Optione

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:41 pm
I'll give you hope, although it's a different scenario. I once had a car seat delivered, new in its box. I saw it when I came out of my car so I went inside, put down my belongings, and went back to get the car seat. By the time I came back it was totally gone. I called the company and made it very clear that I know the car seat was delivered because I saw it. They replaced it at no charge to me.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:59 pm
Echoing those who say to go in and tell the truth and see what they say. Cant hurt. Here are two true personal anecdotes that took place very recently.

I just got a new watch from Macys for my birthday. It was waaaaay more than I usually spend (yay birthday gelt!) and I wear my watches until they can no longer be fixed (last watch was worn daily for 17 years!). I get the new watch home and the next day notice a pretty severe scratch on the closure part. No idea if it got there from my own handling although I doubt it because I treat expensive things with baby hands. My guess is the sales lady scratched it when she was removing links; it was crazy busy when I got it last week and she was frazzled. But I don't really know for sure. I brought it back on Sunday and said my watch got scratched. She looked at the receipt and no questions asked, gave me a new one.

Also this month, I bought a dress from a heimish store by me and spent more than I would spend for a dress ($60). I put it on right away. When I took it off, I noticed a hole by the armpit and upon further inspection, I noticed this issue all over the garment. The seams were not sewn properly. I also noticed it was snagged in a few places. No idea when the snags appeared. So I contacted the owner (she deals with her store via whatsapp and fb) and she asked if I wore it. Yes, I did. So I told her yes. She said because I wore it, she cant exchange it because there is no way to know whose fault the snag and holes are. But the company will repair it for me (which they did, and its still a faulty garment but lesson learned).

So my takeaway is a massive chain like Macys can take a loss. A small shop can not. Customer service is important either way and it would have been gracious of the small business owner to eat the loss due to the bad workmanship (seams not sewn properly all over the dress) and just exchanged the dress for the same one, but she said she could not because I wore it. Fine. I did not push her.

Long story short, details matter and be honest. A large store may be able to work with you.

Last edited by watergirl on Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:40 am; edited 4 times in total

essie14

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:49 am
The dress should have been packaged properly. I cant remember ever receiving items I bought online that didn't have at least one layer between the box and the dress. Usually more than that.
I would definitely send an email and explain the situation. worst case they will say no and you will never order from them again.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 8:16 am
Im assuming that since you bought it online, you purchased with a credit card. Which means you have some purchase protection.

I know that if a box is stolen from your porch the store needs to refund you. Otherwise the credit card company will do so and leave the store on the hook.

This sounds like a similar scenario. The product was packaged carelessly and so it got damaged when opening it. Reach out to the store and if they don’t want to help, ask your credit card company if you have any rights in this particular situation.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:15 am
I just noticed it was packed in a brooks brothers box. Soo unprofessional!

I sent them an email I hope theyll be nice about it

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:57 am
I usually get clothing orders in bags not boxes. It is very hard to open a box without a knife so the
risk of damaging a badly packaged dress is high. I think it would definitely be a good idea to let them know their packaging is less then ideal. Hopefully they will be nice and help you, it definitely can't hurt.

moonstone

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:36 am
What don’t you understand? You’re the one who damaged it. Why should they take it back? Why should they refund you? Why should they take the loss!

Whoa, why are you so angry? Are you the owner of the store OP bought the dress from? Chillax!

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This is weird. Is the dress from a reputable store?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:26 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
This is weird. Is the dress from a reputable store?

Its from a jewish website

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:30 pm
Surplus wrote:
Yes! It was kind of LOUD!

Really? What made it loud? Are you imagining things or projecting?

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:32 pm
watergirl wrote:
Echoing those who say to go in and tell the truth and see what they say. Cant hurt. Here are two true personal anecdotes that took place very recently.

I just got a new watch from Macys for my birthday. It was waaaaay more than I usually spend (yay birthday gelt!) and I wear my watches until they can no longer be fixed (last watch was worn daily for 17 years!). I get the new watch home and the next day notice a pretty severe scratch on the closure part. No idea if it got there from my own handling although I doubt it because I treat expensive things with baby hands. My guess is the sales lady scratched it when she was removing links; it was crazy busy when I got it last week and she was frazzled. But I don't really know for sure. I brought it back on Sunday and said my watch got scratched. She looked at the receipt and no questions asked, gave me a new one.

Also this month, I bought a dress from a heimish store by me and spent more than I would spend for a dress ($60). I put it on right away. When I took it off, I noticed a hole by the armpit and upon further inspection, I noticed this issue all over the garment. The seams were not sewn properly. I also noticed it was snagged in a few places. No idea when the snags appeared. So I contacted the owner (she deals with her store via whatsapp and fb) and she asked if I wore it. Yes, I did. So I told her yes. She said because I wore it, she cant exchange it because there is no way to know whose fault the snag and holes are. But the company will repair it for me (which they did, and its still a faulty garment but lesson learned).

So my takeaway is a massive chain like Macys can take a loss. A small shop can not. Customer service is important either way and it would have been gracious of the small business owner to eat the loss due to the bad workmanship (seams not sewn properly all over the dress) and just exchanged the dress for the same one, but she said she could not because I wore it. Fine. I did not push her.

Long story short, details matter and be honest. A large store may be able to work with you.

The examples aren’t the same as op’s because she knows she’s 100% responsible for the damage. But yes so long as she is totally honest and takes all the blame when she tells them what happened it would be ok

watergirl

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:25 pm
The examples aren’t the same as op’s because she knows she’s 100% responsible for the damage. But yes so long as she is totally honest and takes all the blame when she tells them what happened it would be ok

It’s debatable if she is 100% responsible for the damage. Had the item been packaged properly, would the damage have occurred?

As we know, damages and responsibility for damages is so complex an issue that there is an entire seder of Gemara, 10 masechtas - 281 pages (yes, I looked it up!) on the topic. And now that OP has come back and said it was from a Jewish store, a shailah should be asked to a LOR who OP and the owner agree to ask.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:38 pm
1091 wrote:
They may not take it back but good customer service will respond to your question. Tell them you accidentally tore the dress opening the box and see if they can help. Can't hurt.

I did customer service for a company and the norm was in such a case to process a full refund AND the customer didn't have to return the item.

From my experience, it helped a lot if the customer emailed a picture of the damage on the item. That way we saw it wasn't just another scammer.

But if you purchased from a frum store then I doubt they'll refund you because too many people return items etc.

giselle

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Sounds like an unprofessional operation. I don’t know how helpful they’ll be.. good luck! Let us know what happens...

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:39 pm

I’m with Salmon here. Why ask here? Only the retailer themselves can help you. Personally I think it a bit chutzpahdik as it was your fault but honestly, I’d probably try it myself. Hatzlacha OP.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics