Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Medical exemption for masks + Poll
1  2  3  Next

Do you wear a mask?
Yes, all the time  
 44%  [ 64 ]
Yes, but only when enforced  
 47%  [ 69 ]
No, no one wears one in my community  
 6%  [ 10 ]
No, I have a medical condition so I am exempt from wearing one  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 144

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:12 am
NY has a medical exemption for masks. As per the executive order-- "Effective at 8 p.m. on Friday, April 17, 2020 any individual who is over age two and able to medically tolerate a face-covering shall be required to cover their nose and mouth with a mask or cloth face-covering when in a public place and unable to maintain, or when not maintaining, social distance." https://www.governor.ny.gov/ne.....gency

I know some people are lecturing others about the importance of wearing masks but people have the right to decide if they are capable of wearing masks and are exempt if they are not medically able. There is no specific medical condition included so all medical conditions are exempt. And there is nothing about having to prove your condition so no one has the right to ask why someone else is not wearing a mask. Posters who are trying to make the comparison of people with sensory issues not wanting to wear clothing are comparing apples to oranges as there is no medical exemption for people not to wear clothing but there is a medical exemption not to wear masks.
https://statelaws.findlaw.com/......html

Fun fact about masks-- It is illegal to congregate in public with two or more people while they're wearing masks or using anything to cover their face and disguise their identity. The law, which has existed since 1845, is outlined in New York Penal Law 240.35(4). https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/p......html

I hope this settles the mask debate on imamother.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:24 am
Face masks don’t disguise your identity!

itsmeima

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:38 am
I voted I wear one all the time, even though many people don’t wear one in my community.

It’s not a contradiction.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 11:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Surely you're not naive enough to believe that.

I hate the masks. I don't believe they are at all appropriate to be worn by healthy people. And don't give me that "asymptomatic spreader" nonsense. If I'm not coughing and sneezing on you, calm down.

I put one on when forced to enter a store. Even then, I pull it down every chance I get.

I live in a nutso-Liberal county which is now making it illegal to walk outside your house without a mask. Good luck enforcing that. Take me to jail if you must. I will never comply.

ETA: I do have a medical exemption for not wearing a mask. My medical condition is that I require air to breathe!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 11:59 am
The norm in my community is to wear them when indoor a public place (ex: grocery or shul) but not in the park or a private house, so that’s what I do. (We don’t really go to peoples houses anyway).

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:01 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I live in a nutso-Liberal county which is now making it illegal to walk outside your house without a mask. Good luck enforcing that. Take me to jail if you must. I will never comply.

I hope someone takes and posts a video.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:05 pm
I chose "all the time," but I do not wear a mask outdoors when I am not in a crowded area. I don't wear one if I am walking on the street and just passing people. But I do wear it in a store or other indoor public places even if it is not required/enforced there. I actually have no idea what the laws area about masks in my area. I follow the guidance of local doctors.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
NY has a medical exemption for masks. As per the executive order-- "Effective at 8 p.m. on Friday, April 17, 2020 any individual who is over age two and able to medically tolerate a face-covering shall be required to cover their nose and mouth with a mask or cloth face-covering when in a public place and unable to maintain, or when not maintaining, social distance." https://www.governor.ny.gov/ne.....gency

I know some people are lecturing others about the importance of wearing masks but people have the right to decide if they are capable of wearing masks and are exempt if they are not medically able. There is no specific medical condition included so all medical conditions are exempt. And there is nothing about having to prove your condition so no one has the right to ask why someone else is not wearing a mask. Posters who are trying to make the comparison of people with sensory issues not wanting to wear clothing are comparing apples to oranges as there is no medical exemption for people not to wear clothing but there is a medical exemption not to wear masks.

Fun fact about masks-- It is illegal to congregate in public with two or more people while they're wearing masks or using anything to cover their face and disguise thei identity. The law, which has existed since 1845, is outlined in New York Penal Law 240.35(4). https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/p......html

Fun fact. I was taking a walk one day, wearing a mask and big sunglasses. One of DS1’s friends, who made Aliyah and I had not seen in 5 years or more, came over to say hi. Another day, it was the mother of dd2’s bestie from kindergarten; the girl transferred to another school, and they lost touch a decade ago.

If you have a real medical condition, then you shouldn’t wear a mask. Medical conditions are diagnosed medically, not by gee, I don’t feel comfortable.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:15 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:

ETA: I do have a medical exemption for not wearing a mask. My medical condition is that I require air to breathe!

[“bracha” has been removed - mod]

Edited to fix attribution

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:21 pm
[comment removed, wrong forum - mod]

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Fun fact about masks-- It is illegal to congregate in public with two or more people while they're wearing masks or using anything to cover their face and disguise their identity. The law, which has existed since 1845, is outlined in New York Penal Law 240.35(4). https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/p......html

No it doesn’t. Not wearing one is the height of selfishness. It protects others. That’s why selfish people feel comfortable saying they refuse to wear one, because they only care aboutthemselves. If it would protect the wearer aloneeveryone would wear it. There are very few people who medically can’t wear it. The rest of selfish people and they’d better hope the next selfish person doesn’t give the virus to them or a loved one

If you really can’t medically wear one then stay away from other people.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:38 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
My bracha is that your wish be granted.

You actually wished for AMOTHER to be jailed?????

If that isn't HATE, I don't know what is!

Some groups of people think that if you don't follow THEIR OPINION, into the gulag
with you!

(This is to replace the post that was removed, but the Moderator had no problem with
SOW wishing amother to be jailed.)

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:49 pm
I would like to see some science about kids spreading coronavirus. The necessity for masks on children ages 0-12.

Also looking forward to that science on asymptomatic carriers. I have my heavy doubts that such a thing exists.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:51 pm
I am sitting in the car on Utica in Crown Heights waiting for DIL to finish shopping in Dollar Tree and the majority of people walking down the street in 94 degree heat are wearing masks, including children.
Even though we don't wear masks outdoors in Monsey, they do here in Brooklyn so I do it here too.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:54 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
My bracha is that your wish be granted.

Please don't use the word "bracha" when wishing I'll on another person.

A bracha is something you give to another Jew out of love for H and for them.

To wish bad things on anyone else is the height of cruelty. Even if you believe the other person is wrong. Even if you are right.

Even if they annoy you. Or offend you.

Don't use the word bracha.

If you want to tell someone to go to hell. Go for it. But dont hide behind the word bracha.
Bracha is used for H goodness. Don't drag it into the darkness.

Please.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:55 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I would like to see some science about kids spreading coronavirus. The necessity for masks on children ages 0-12.

Also looking forward to that science on asymptomatic carriers. I have my heavy doubts that such a thing exists.

My pediatrician doesn't believe they're necessary for children. But he still has to follow the guidelines if he wants to keep his practice.

InQuarantineWeR

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 1:07 pm

A quick Google search brought up at least a dozen links. If you don't believe it, just say so, but the science is out there.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 1:13 pm
InQuarantineWeR wrote:
A quick Google search brought up at least a dozen links. If you don't believe it, just say so, but the science is out there.

Please share!

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 1:18 pm
avrahamama wrote:
My pediatrician doesn't believe they're necessary for children. But he still has to follow the guidelines if he wants to keep his practice.

Yes, there is no FREEDOM for doctors to state THEIR opinion - they are forced to
follow a central authority - just like doctors in the Soviet Union!

InQuarantineWeR

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 1:21 pm
Please share!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/r.....7.htm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news.....nings

This should get you started. I haven't evaluated these sources specifically but they're representative of the general approach now.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics