Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Fasting with shirim, does it help you not get sick?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:27 pm
I broke my fast after about 20 hours of the fast today. I was feeling so dizzy and head hurt. I felt like who was gonna take care of my kids, they were bouncing all around me and they needed me to be up. Anyway I vomited 3 times since breaking the fast and I am feeling so yucky. I am sipping Gatorade and having popsicles. Last YK, I also was so weak and was throwing up near the end of the fast. It was awful but I made it through because it was YK. It felt like my heart was beating really fast and I just felt awful. If I some how get a heter to do shirim YK I am wondering if it will help me feel well. If you have done shiurim does it keep you from being sick? I feel like my body needs nutrition throughout the day. Does Hashem really want us to fast and be so sick?

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:04 pm
For Yom Kippur you need to be pretty sick to be able to break it. 9 av, especially this year, is more meikil.
What makes all the difference for me is having my husband stay home from shul and I literally stay on the couch all day. Even with that, I frequently get sick enough to have to break it but doing nothing exerting definitely makes it more doable (you can’t faint if you don’t stand😏)

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:43 pm
It keeps me alive if that's what you're asking. I have a health condition which makes it life threatening for me to get dehydrated. I don't fast except for YK and that is with shiurim. I still feel very weak by the time the fast is over.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:46 pm
I blacked out. I had a shuir of water then 5 minutes later of mezonos. Bh was able to finish fasting.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:10 pm
If you do shiurim correctly then it is the absolute best! Drinking 6 oz or so of liquid per hour (which is much more than I drink regularly) made me feel amazing when I did it last pregnancy and I look forward to feeling the same this upcoming YK when my rav already gave me heter to do so (I’m high risk)

nanny24/7

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:22 pm
I will try searching tonight for a previous post I wrote about this long ago.
Feel free to bump up if I forget.

nanny24/7

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:40 pm
Got it. That Bais Horaah is of Kalsburg. Rav Chezkel Roth is affiliated with that shul and they have a rotation of many well versed rabbanim.
nanny24/7 wrote:
Sorry I don't have a Rav recommendation.
But when I couldn't fast I called up the Boro Park Bais Horaah and simply stated that I can't fast and the reason for it, and asked how I can both eat and drink with shiurim.
I don't know the name of the rav I spoke to but he gave me very good advice. He said to prepare breakfast, lunch, and dinner (plus snacks if desired) for myself (stuff that don't need to be warmed up) before the fast. And then eat all the prepared portions just by following these guidelines:
Stuff whatever food fits almost until the top of a 1 ounce shot glass and eat that every 5 minutes until I am full or finish my prepared portion. In addition to that I can drink one ounce of the liquid of my choice every 5 minutes as well. He also said it's okay to eat and drink like a whole ounce food together with a whole ounce drink as long as I wait 5 minutes before eating or drinking again.
I drank sometimes water and sometimes unsweetened coconut milk.
He also made sure to warn me that if I get sick I should eat normally without shiurim.
This system worked wonders for me. I have tried in the past to fast with shiurim of just drinking water, or just milk, or even water or milk with bitterseeet chocolate , and still fasted so terrible.
I think the number I called for the Bais Horaah is 1-718-435-1502.
Feel free to ask me questions.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:49 pm
Thank you everyone. I was able to eat some pretzels and ibuprofen and take a nap. Now I am up sipping Gatorade and trying to feel as well as I can. I think I should have stayed home all day and not gotten up off the couch. It was just too hot and really difficult. Can't wait until I can take a nice hot shower.

nanny24/7

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 10:52 pm
Someone else posted today about being allowed to take showers tonight after the fast since it's erev Shabbos.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 12:17 am
I cannot fast without shiurim. It makes a huge difference. I dont even need tons of shiurim. I did one shiur of water an hour yesterday and it got me through. I have spent too many post fast days in the ER on IV.

momofgirls2

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 1:37 am
So is there anything to take before the fast the really works?
Not Motrin or caffeine or hydration. Its simple food and calories that I need.
I haven't managed a full fast day In awhile.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 4:12 am
momofgirls2 wrote:
So is there anything to take before the fast the really works?
Not Motrin or caffeine or hydration. Its simple food and calories that I need.
I haven't managed a full fast day In awhile.

I think it's body specific. My DH and older kids take the Tzom Kal pills but those don't work for me at all.
I drank coconut water for 2-3 days before Tisha B'av. I also eat watermelon and grapes before a fast, and pasta for supper. And drink tons all week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note