Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Starting salary- rebbe
Previous  1  2  3  Next

CDL

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 1:49 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Most jobs are more like 9-7 at minimum and you get 2-3 weeks vaca that is spent on YT. You sound out of touch with what the rest of the world considers full time. Just saying.
this is 1. Very nasty 2. Not true at all!!! 9-7 minimum for MOST PEOPLE??
Edited to include my screen name.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 1:51 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Most jobs are more like 9-7 at minimum and you get 2-3 weeks vaca that is spent on YT. You sound out of touch with what the rest of the world considers full time. Just saying.

9-5 is full time

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 2:01 pm
Fabulous wrote:
9-5 is full time
Usually full time is either 8 to 5 or 9 to 6.

LittleMissMama

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 2:02 pm
She obviously meant that 9-7pm is the reality for most full time working people. Yes, fewer hrs are also considered full time but most bosses/jobs require more out of you than that. (sadly)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 2:11 pm
Where is everyone getting these strange hours from?
In the US of A, a legal full time job is 9-5, totaling 40 hours a week. Anything past that is overtime.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 2:17 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
FYI,
My Dad taught a full schedule in public school, taught the early shift working 6:30-2:30 and then taught 2-4 periods a day in the afternoon in Yeshiva.

Where is there a public school that starts at 6:30??

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 2:22 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
28 hours a week isn’t full time.

Many hours of preparation. Also talking to parents, going to meetings.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 2:24 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Where is there a public school that starts at 6:30??

I work in a public school and have to be there at 6:45. Public high schools often start early am.

Just One

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 2:26 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Usually full time is either 8 to 5 or 9 to 6.

In the US a legal full day is 8 hrs. More than that is considered overtime and bosses are legally obligated to pay accordingly

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 2:27 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

Lol. DH and I work full time out of klei kodesh.
I work for an non Jewish engineering firm - I’m considered full time at 32 hours flex time - with 4 weeks vacation after 15 years (with overtime expected during deadlines).
Most full time jobs are 40 hours. Depending on profession you are expected to work extra. But typically when you work toward 6 digit salary. Not 60k max. Almost No one works free overtime for 50-60k ( I’m inlakewood).

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 2:29 pm
Just One wrote:
In the US a legal full day is 8 hrs. More than that is considered overtime and bosses are legally obligated to pay accordingly

No 8-5 is typical. They don’t pay lunch.
Overtime is free for high salaries employees. I wrote above I work 32 hours. But occasionally work 60-80 to meet a deadline but because of my salary I’m not eligible for overtime.

Just One

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 2:35 pm
From US Dept. If Labor:
The federal overtime provisions are contained in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Unless exempt, employees covered by the Act must receive overtime pay for hours worked over 40 in a workweek at a rate not less than time and one-half their regular rates of pay. There is no limit in the Act on the number of hours employees aged 16 and older may work in any workweek. The Act does not require overtime pay for work on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, or regular days of rest, unless overtime is worked on such days.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 2:44 pm
Just One wrote:
From US Dept. If Labor:
The federal overtime provisions are contained in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Unless exempt, employees covered by the Act must receive overtime pay for hours worked over 40 in a workweek at a rate not less than time and one-half their regular rates of pay. There is no limit in the Act on the number of hours employees aged 16 and older may work in any workweek. The Act does not require overtime pay for work on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, or regular days of rest, unless overtime is worked on such days.
Im pretty sure that’s only if you’re paid hourly.
We’re discussing salary

Just One

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 2:53 pm
The discussion veered into what average hrs are. 40 hrs/wk is average

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 3:19 pm
Yes full time is 'officially' 40 hrs and in some proffesions 36 hrs. But most jobs require more hours especially if you want to advance in your career. 9-5? Passee[quote]

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 3:30 pm
Just One wrote:
The discussion veered into what average hrs are. 40 hrs/wk is average

For a government type of job, yes. And you do get overtime if you work extra. Not everyone has a government job, though.

I will say, on behalf of rebbeim, it's tough to work sundays. But I guess that's balanced by early Friday dismissals. Not every job has that luxury. Lots of people barely make it home before candle lighting, especially in the winter.
And 11 months a year is more like 10, if you add up the long YT breaks. That's a perk, too.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 3:30 pm
full time is only 8-5 or 9-6 if you’re leaving at noon on Friday....

Typical office job full time is 9-5. Sure you can work more but some are also less. Typical is 9-5.
And most professional settings start out a few weeks vacation not 2-3 days. Where is that from ? Lol

My sister works for Macy’s corporate (she’s not frum ). She works 9-5 and gets 5 weeks vacation plus all legal holidays off. She is not very high level. My mother worked for Mattel she worked 36 hours a week and started at 3 weeks vacation which increased every year or two and also got legal holidays off. They both also got insurance and 401k and other benefits.

My husband owns a company with nonjewish employees exclusively (due to location ). If anyone works over 40 hours he’s expected to pay overtime.

9-7 type jobs (or more hours ) is peolle trying to move up high in certain industries and prove themselves. They are hoping to make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year by the end of their career and that’s plus corporate rewards and stock options and retirement etc. you cannot expect the same from a rebbi who may make decent salary hourly but certainly is never making 150k plus benefits

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 3:32 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Yes full time is 'officially' 40 hrs and in some proffesions 36 hrs. But most jobs require more hours especially if you want to advance in your career. 9-5? Passee]

Right. But not for $45k/yr job
Most ppl who work more hours are doctors, accountants, lawyers, managers - hoping to make 150-500k.

Lower paid employees are anyways paid 1.5 times when working overtime.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 3:42 pm
5 weeks vacation is A LOT. Most people don't have anything close to that unless they've been at their job for years.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 3:54 pm
You aren’t paid for lunch so a 40 hour work week is 9 to 6. In some places, it might be 9 to 5 but that is a 35 hour work week for calculating overtime.

There is no overtime for salaried positions and in my experience anyone who leaves at 5 or 6 would not be considered to be a good worker. One is paid to finish whatever needs to be done And employers expect ambitious employees who want raises and promotions to do what needs to be done. Most career track jobs can’t be done in 40 hours unless a person is unusually fast at what they do and also has the good luck not to hav3 to deal with lots of meetings. LOL which are real time sucks.

Teachers aren’t generally paid overtime but do have the advantage of lots of vacation time. My mother was a public school teacher and was very diligent but once one has been teaching for awhile, there isn’t that much prep because one has mastered stuff. And I believe, at least in NYC, there are periods for prep guaranteed in the contract.

Of course a good teacher isn’t a clock watcher and would put in the time necessary to do an excellent job. It there is really no comparison between teaching hours and corporate work. Of course, to some extent, corporate pay scales are higher for comparable educational levels.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics