Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Did anybody realize Kawasaki like syndrome is no more

Just One

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 11:46 pm
Remember the panic?
Just tried to search and there is nothing online since May
So are there kids dying in secret or is it not allowed to cover anything that might be considered good news Covidwise?

soap suds

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 11:52 pm
“No news is good news” applies to everything, even non-Covid related.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 11:56 pm
Just One wrote:
Remember the panic?
So are there kids dying in secret or is it not allowed to cover anything that might be considered good news Covidwise?

Good news is not allowed, at least not until after the election.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 1:27 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Good news is not allowed, at least not until after the election.

Yes obviously a global pandemic is closely linked to one country’s election. 🙄

Cpg

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 2:28 am
They're no longer grouping it in with Kawasaki, they're now referring to it as MIS-C. The CDC released a report on it a week and a half ago. Some quotes:

"As of July 29, a total of 570 U.S. MIS-C patients who met the case definition had been reported to CDC."

"Median duration of hospitalization was 6 days; 364 patients (63.9%) required care in an intensive care unit (ICU), and 10 patients (1.8%) died."

All of the patients were children, in case that was not already clear.

Source:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volum.....2.htm

ora_43

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 2:49 am
It's still in the news.

57 MIS-C cases in Louisiana (from yesterday)

New treatment tested (yesterday)

Heart damage from MIS-C (two days ago)

It's getting less front-page coverage because it's not really news anymore. The same way that 1,000 new covid cases today don't get the attention that 4 new cases did in February.

Plus, American news outlets are busy with the elections now.

dvoras

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:33 pm
Maybe celebrate it, it's a good thing- why the condescending tone, would you rather say we now have 50k cases of it. Why the glee.
Not everything is about politics even if the media or some sectors portray it as such. If more people would wear masks and/or socially distance the USA as a whole would be much safer.
Note: we have an upcoming winter flue season. Every year america monitors the flu season in the southern hemisphere to see what will be, as of August 1st Australia which has winter now- usually has over 200k cases of the flu. However cause of mask wearing (people actually wearing them), social distance hand hygiene and sensible measures. There were about 1,000 cases of the flu total. From a public health standpoint, and infection control standpoint- it's logic and common sense. Ask not what benefit yourself our your own agenda, ask what benefits other. Ask not what you can do for yourselves but what you can do for others.
Instead of spitting on people's graves we could be smart, and take decisive sensible action.
But even if you dont want to that, but a large sector of the brooklyn jewish community, shows contempt or disdain for anybody that wears a mask. Firstly, anybody who goes over to someone and attacks or bashes them for wearing a mask, they have a real inferiority complex- deep down there is a voice in their psyche telling them really I should be careful and maybe even wear a mask, so the bashing acts for them like a moral equivocation.

Your probably from the same group of people who reflect on the situation in april as a "over exaggeration".
Your spitting on the graves of the many lost loved ones.
This doesn't have to be a debate about politics or principles. It's not a jewish issue, or a democrat vs. Republican issue, despite what you may convince yourself.
It's OUR issue.
It's a fact.
Granted there are better therapeutic controls to treat the people who get severe covid now.

As someone who works with many hospital administrations and advocates on behalf of others. Since may I have been discussing with hospitals what went wrong, and indeed there must be accountability of the hospitals. But even more importantly we must work to ensure that the near future doesn't lend itself to a similar situation.

Finally, hashem gives doctors permission to heal in a time of sickness. Although many medical errors happen unfortunately. We must still respect our medical community, don't forget many doctors gave their lives to save patient lives during the pandemic.
More importantly we must daven to hashem, and do our part.
Akiva vchasima tova

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:43 pm
Just One wrote:
Remember the panic?

Kids were not dying of MIS-C, at the children’s hospital that I work at we were seeing lots of Patients with it months Back but they all did really well and fully recovered. I personally think that the fact that we aren’t really seeing it anymore is great, I’m guessing your post was more politically driven though

Just One

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:46 pm
I'm pro common sense measures.
I believe Covid is a serious diseases
Precisely because I don't care about the politics is why I get so annoyed when the positives aren't covered by news media.
Just give me all the news, both good and bad irrespective of agenda

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 5:00 pm
And I'm always left shaking my head that 1000+ daily deaths from Covid-19 is no longer newsworthy.

But I guess sticking our heads in the sand and pretending everything is now all fine and dandy is the preferred way to go.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 11:49 pm
Most children’s hospitals I’ve spoken to are reporting they are seeing 1-2 cases a week still of mis-c. Some are serious requiring ecmo, dialysis, vents. Most are treatable, some kids will have permanent medical issues or organ failure as a result and will never fully recover. It’s def not a joke. BH relatively rare but still occurring.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 11:53 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Most children’s hospitals I’ve spoken to are reporting they are seeing 1-2 cases a week still of mis-c. Some are serious requiring ecmo, dialysis, vents. Most are treatable, some kids will have permanent medical issues or organ failure as a result and will never fully recover. It’s def not a joke. BH relatively rare but still occurring.

Wow. Not at all our experience (think the largest, best children’s hospital in NYC) at all. Far from it. Our kids were discharged to home with oral medication and see completely on the mend. Are you in a different part of the country? (Not NY?)

OOC what line of work are you in that you speak to children’s hospitals weekly? And who at the hospitals are able to give out the kind of info that you are referring to about their treatment and recovery course?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 12:44 am
Even published data in nejm going back a few months describes some of what I’m talking about. I’m pretty surprised at the biggest peds hospital you aren’t seeing that (chony?). I happen to be part of a consortium which includes picu doctors at several east coast hospitals and have had calls over the last few months where they’ve discussed their experiences with mis-c. I also have several nurse friends at another nyc hospital who’ve told me about patients they’ve had in their Picu’s.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics