Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Here’s a reason to get tested
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Mameh Shaineh

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 3:51 am
DrMom wrote:
Hey everyone,

Help us skew public health data so we can continue to send kids to school despite the fact that covid once again threatens our community's health. Thumbs Up

Gmar chatima tova!

Exactly. Well said!

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 4:11 am
Just saying- I was also petrified of this test. Ds had to test negative in order to go back school. A medical center where I live now tests only the tip of the nose by the nostril opening. Surprisingly there was no going up the nose! Ds who was nervous beforehand said “it was a joke “.
DD had the flu in the winter. I watched them go all the way up and she even had a nose bleed after.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 4:15 am
Mameh Shaineh wrote:
Exactly. Well said!

True but.... wouldn't it be helpful for a lot of people to get tested (ASSUMING THEY QUARANTINE AND CONTACT TRACE) because then if any of them do have it then you nip the outbreak in the bud.
If you test everyone and then isolate the positives then it will slow down the spread.

Not the OP's point at all but perhaps a good thing regardless

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 6:54 am
DrMom wrote:
Hey everyone,

Help us skew public health data so we can continue to send kids to school despite the fact that covid once again threatens our community's health. Thumbs Up

Gmar chatima tova!

I think this is in response to the letters indicating people shouldn't test to keep the community open snd just stay home but in reality testing will...

HakarasHatov

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 11:07 am
Ladies,

There are different types of tests, I did two tests a week apart at two different locations. The first was uncomfortable to say the least. the second was just a swab in our nostrils. For all of you who are afraid of the "horrific" test, just find a place that does just a swab in the bottom of the nostril. Statcare is where we went for our "nostril" swab, this was a PCR test.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 11:45 am
HakarasHatov wrote:
Ladies,

There are different types of tests, I did two tests a week apart at two different locations. The first was uncomfortable to say the least. the second was just a swab in our nostrils. For all of you who are afraid of the "horrific" test, just find a place that does just a swab in the bottom of the nostril. Statcare is where we went for our "nostril" swab, this was a PCR test.

Did you take both tests the same time and get the same results?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 11:57 am

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:09 pm
Every test has a possibility of false negative and positive results. You never want to test for something when you have no suspicion. That’s why there are specific guidelines as to how often to screen for certain diseases. For example, colonoscopies are every x amount of years, same with Pap smears, etc. Because there will always be false positives and the consequences are severe (biopsies, procedures, etc). If you culture 100 peoples’ throats for Strep, a certain percentage will test positive (maybe that’s a bad example since Strep is a normal throat colonizer). If you do the same for C diff, same thing. That’s why the teaching is always not to test when the result is not going to be helpful, just confusing.
The covid thing is a big mess. I personally think we should all not test ever unless the results will have a huge impact in your behavior. Because if you have symptoms of covid and test negative, you very likely have covid anyway and certainly should behave as such!
And if you test 100 asymptotic people and 5% test positive, now what? The one who develops symptoms 2 days later will know to quarantine and would have done so with the development of symptoms even without testing. But the 2 false positives and 2 who actually had asymptotic covid last week and are now benign carriers are subjected to unnecessary quarantine with all the difficulties that entails for them and every single person they’ve been near for the last few days plus their results have messed up the DOH statistics anyway!
Obviously someone who ends up hospitalized with severe symptoms will get tested there but guess what- when we have a high suspicion, we consider them covid even if they test negative. And we repeat every 24 hours at least twice, often 3 times- that’s how “accurate” the tests are. And when we have a really really bad case and want the patient to qualify for convalescent plasma and Remdesivir, we start swabbing other body orfices (we’ve had excellent results with rectal swabs) to get a positive. We have to resort to tricks. Because at the end of the day, the tests are very flawed.
So again, I fully support the idea that our community should definitely stop running out to get tested.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:16 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Same!
Is it like the flu test?

Flu swab is super super uncomfortable. I felt like I had snorted water up my nose, it took me a while to get to myself.
Why would I go get tested if I'm feeling fine bh, had no known exposure to anyone, and had the virus in march & tested positive for antibodies in May.... not putting myself through such an experience for no reason.
PLUS.... if you can catch covid a 2nd time, ch'v, well, the urgent cares are the best place to catch it..... haha.... not gonna go there!

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:18 pm
But if people who do have covid don't test, then people who were in contact with them won't know to quarantine or won't be serious about quarantine. Also, how can contact tracers do their work if no one tests?

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:42 pm
We tested a mango, it come back positive!

This is the reason not to test yourself. Its all a bunch of hox. Lots of false positive, all you get is a bunch of trouble. They make your life miserable.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:43 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
We tested a mango, it come back positive!

This is the reason not to test yourself. Its all a bunch of hox. Lots of false positive, all you get is a bunch of trouble. They make your life miserable.

Why do you think your result was false?

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:45 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Why do you think your result was false?

Someone I know when to test, the wait was to long so she left. The next day she gets a call you test came back positive! Uh?! Need more stories?

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:47 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Someone I know when to test, the wait was to long so she left. The next day she gets a call you test came back positive! Uh?! Need more stories?

Everyone says they know someone and she did that. I am a bit dubious that this is so frequent.

Also, it indicates a different problem, not that actual test results are false.

Did you get retested elsewhere following that positive test result?

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:51 pm
The nose swab tests are accurate the quick tests aren't, so don't proclaim that there are large amounts of false positives and false negatives.......

My son tested positive, the contact tracers are not bad, and they don't come to the house. Maybe if you don't answer calls they will. It's a daily check in to see how everyone is doing, if there are any underlying conditions, if you need anything.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:51 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Everyone says they know someone and she did that. I am a bit dubious that this is so frequent.

Also, it indicates a different problem, not that actual test results are false.

Did you get retested elsewhere following that positive test result?

Did you read what I wrote? We tested a MANGO FRUIT!

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:54 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
The nose swab tests are accurate the quick tests aren't, so don't proclaim that there are large amounts of false positives and false negatives.......

My son tested positive, the contact tracers are not bad, and they don't come to the house. Maybe if you don't answer calls they will. It's a daily check in to see how everyone is doing, if there are any underlying conditions, if you need anything.

It's one big problem. They're trying to get as much positive tests as possible.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:54 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Did you read what I wrote? We tested a MANGO FRUIT!

Yelling is not necessary. I assumed you typo'd "at mango", like that is the name of some place in your locale.

I don't believe any layperson tested a mango or that tests were wasted to test mangos at testing centers while people needed them.

The case I heard in another state/country of weird positives on inanimate objects pointed to a batch of bad tests that were contaminated, which is an aberration.

I am also dubious that two of the various urban legends floating around happened to you or your friend.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 2:07 pm
The facts about covid-19

Gradually, the alarm bell was sounded from many sources: the objective facts showed a completely different reality. 5 6

The course of covid-19 followed the course of a normal wave of infection similar to a flu season. As every year, we see a mix of flu viruses following the curve: first the rhinoviruses, then the influenza A and B viruses, followed by the coronaviruses. There is nothing different from what we normally see.

The use of the non-specific PCR test, which produces many false positives, showed an exponential picture. This test was rushed through with an emergency procedure and was never seriously self-tested. The creator expressly warned that this test was intended for research and not for diagnostics.7
The PCR test works with cycles of amplification of genetic material – a piece of genome is amplified each time. Any contamination (e.g. other viruses, debris from old virus genomes) can possibly result in false positives.8

The test does not measure how many viruses are present in the sample. A real viral infection means a massive presence of viruses, the so-called virus load. If someone tests positive, this does not mean that that person is actually clinically infected, is ill or is going to become ill. Koch’s postulate was not fulfilled (“The pure agent found in a patient with complaints can provoke the same complaints in a healthy person”).

Since a positive PCR test does not automatically indicate active infection or infectivity, this does not justify the social measures taken, which are based solely on these tests. 9 10

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 2:09 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
The facts about covid-19

Gradually, the alarm bell was sounded from many sources: the objective facts showed a completely different reality. 5 6

The course of covid-19 followed the course of a normal wave of infection similar to a flu season. As every year, we see a mix of flu viruses following the curve: first the rhinoviruses, then the influenza A and B viruses, followed by the coronaviruses. There is nothing different from what we normally see.

The use of the non-specific PCR test, which produces many false positives, showed an exponential picture. This test was rushed through with an emergency procedure and was never seriously self-tested. The creator expressly warned that this test was intended for research and not for diagnostics.7
The PCR test works with cycles of amplification of genetic material – a piece of genome is amplified each time. Any contamination (e.g. other viruses, debris from old virus genomes) can possibly result in false positives.8

The test does not measure how many viruses are present in the sample. A real viral infection means a massive presence of viruses, the so-called virus load. If someone tests positive, this does not mean that that person is actually clinically infected, is ill or is going to become ill. Koch’s postulate was not fulfilled (“The pure agent found in a patient with complaints can provoke the same complaints in a healthy person”).

Since a positive PCR test does not automatically indicate active infection or infectivity, this does not justify the social measures taken, which are based solely on these tests. 9 10

Source?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics