Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
“Just follow rules” they cried
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:21 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
We follow the rules and we have a pretty close to normal life. We mask and social distance.

Do I miss having Shabbos guests? Yes. But with masking and social distancing, we are able to still enjoy in-person school, groceries, retail shopping, restaurants, libraries, parks, playgrounds, and other things. I work remotely, but DH is able to work in person. We have playdates outside and get togethers with adult friends and family outside. It's a very good life overall, even if I look forward to relaxing some of the precautions.

Can I ask where you live? Is is a suburban neighborhood where everyone lives spread out? What people don't realize is that NYC is so dense and overcrowded, that even if we kept all the rules perfectly, the disease would still spread more significantly than in other places. Which is not to say that we shouldn't try, I 100% believe in masks, SD etc. But we have to realize that we are human and there is only so much we can control

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:30 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Can I ask where you live? Is is a suburban neighborhood where everyone lives spread out? What people don't realize is that NYC is so dense and overcrowded, that even if we kept all the rules perfectly, the disease would still spread more significantly than in other places. Which is not to say that we shouldn't try, I 100% believe in masks, SD etc. But we have to realize that we are human and there is only so much we can control

Yes, we have more space, definitely. But even if somehow being in a denser environment justifies some incremental difference in precautions, it doesn’t change everything. People gathering indoors need to wear masks, even if they can't distance optimally. If there is no place to play outside and people feel they absolutely need to have some indoor playdates, use masks, open the windows, shorten play dates, and limit the number of families you play with. There is no excuse anywhere for simply going "back to normal." I appreciate that you believe in trying, but many people on this site don't.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:35 am
People who don't live in Brooklyn don't understand.

amother
White

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:44 am
Im going to be a skeptic about the OP. Sorry OP.
I went looking for moshe feiglin's fb page. Its in hebrew, thats first of all. And there is nothing personal there.
Can you link to the page where you found what you posted?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:47 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

Are Brooklynites some sort of special species?

There are plenty of other densely populated areas.

tryinghard

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:48 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
New Zealand
Iceland
china
Fiji

In china they are already being vaccinated.

There's a reason that those are the examples of countries having it "under control".

New Zealand, Iceland and Fiji are all islands with very limited access points. Super easy to control. It was never bad there to begin with.

Do you seriously believe one word coming out of China? They downplayed this at every turn. They knew that there was human-to-human spread, but lied about. They knew it could spread through the air... but lied about it. In March, they were reporting a total of 80,000 cases. Now they say they have had 85,000. In a country of 1.4 Billion people.
Either they are lying about the numbers, or they are shooting every suspected case.

And as for vaccinations - why do you think no other country is vaccinating yet? Safety trials. China is rushing them through. Why is it that when the CDC fast-tracks a vaccine, the reaction is "Don't trust it, Trump is just pushing for it so he can win", but when China rushes ahead, they are hailed as "They got on top of Covid and even have a vaccine!"?

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:55 am
flowerpower wrote:
China. Duh!

That is because Asia’s culture promotes following rules and they have much better compliance. I just read an article about this in the WSJ. Will try to find the link.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:57 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
That is because Asia’s culture promotes following rules and they have much better compliance. I just read an article about this in the WSJ. Will try to find the link.

https://apple.news/ADJLVvlZHS6yI1VDH3vL_eA

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:04 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Are Brooklynites some sort of special species?

There are plenty of other densely populated areas.

Don’t assume that everyone who posts comments that you disagree with live OOT.

I live in Brooklyn—in fact, I have never lived anywhere else—and like many other posters, I don’t see this as black and white. I don’t want another complete lockdown and I can’t wait for schools to reopen (legally). I see my family regularly and get together with friends I trust. At the same time, I also wear a mask in stores and crowded places (I’m wearing one as I type this) and avoid large indoor gatherings even though I already had CoVid and still have high antibodies.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:06 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

I live in Brooklyn, and I don’t understand.

-I don’t understand why DH is practically the only one in shul, who is wearing a mask
-I don’t understand why DD’s school has no masks or sd (or why it is social suicide for DD to wear a mask around her friends . . .)
-I don’t understand why kiddush’s, simchos, shul shalosh seudos, shiurim, and learning programs are going as usual with no masks or sd.
-I don’t understand why neighbors keep asking me to put up their Shabbos guests (when we haven’t even had our own children since Purim).
-I don’t understand why Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Simchas Torah went on as usual (with packed shuls and no sd or masks).

There’s a lot I don’t understand.

We live in Brooklyn, and we did not have this virus. We do not have antibodies. I don’t want everything to be locked down, but I don’t understand why our friends and neighbors refuse to acknowledge the potential danger and take (even minimal) precautions to help keep us safe (while keeping everything open).

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:15 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:

-I don’t understand why DH is practically the only one in shul, who is wearing a mask
-I don’t understand why DD’s school has no masks or sd (or why it is social suicide for DD to wear a mask around her friends . . .)
-I don’t understand why kiddush’s, simchos, shul shalosh seudos, shiurim, and learning programs are going as usual with no masks or sd.
-I don’t understand why neighbors keep asking me to put up their Shabbos guests (when we haven’t even had our own children since Purim).
-I don’t understand why Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Simchas Torah went on as usual (with packed shuls and no sd or masks).

We live in Brooklyn, and we did not have this virus. We do not have antibodies. I don’t want everything to be locked down, but I don’t understand why our friends and neighbors refuse to acknowledge the potential danger and take (even minimal) precautions to help keep us safe (while keeping everything open).

Just be grateful that you and your husband are on the same page with this. It has been an emotionally draining year to cry that mine be more careful. fight to keep my kids out of school bec. everyone around us opened "illegally", etc.

amother
White

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:17 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
And this is why brooklyn needs its own covid subforum.
Not everything is only about brooklyn.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:21 am
So apparently the in hospital death rates, even for elderly and vulnerable people, has BH decreased from 26% to 7% which still makes it several times more likely to be fatal than the seasonal flu.
The virus is also probably going to go from pandemic to endemic until a vaccine can be demonstrated to be safe and effective, which is the only game changer that anymore currently is aware of.
The non Jewish holiday season is predicted to be 18% less than what it was last year and many stores are cancelling black Friday sales.

All in all, I am sure that Jews are not the only people who don't want to follow the rules and who view the rules as worse than the disease but so far, few governments on earth seem ready to just throw in the towel and let the virus run rampant, so we probably won't get much support or sympathy by making ourselves into exceptions of the rules.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:27 am
southernbubby wrote:
So apparently the in hospital death rates, even for elderly and vulnerable people, has BH decreased from 26% to 7% which still makes it several times more likely to be fatal than the seasonal flu.
The virus is also probably going to go from pandemic to endemic until a vaccine can be demonstrated to be safe and effective, which is the only game changer that anymore currently is aware of.
The non Jewish holiday season is predicted to be 18% less than what it was last year and many stores are cancelling black Friday sales.

All in all, I am sure that Jews are not the only people who don't want to follow the rules and who view the rules as worse than the disease but so far, few governments on earth seem ready to just throw in the towel and let the virus run rampant, so we probably won't get much support or sympathy by making ourselves into exceptions of the rules.

If only deblasio and cuomo deal with gun violence the same way they are currently dealing with them dirty Jews in BP and Flatbush.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:30 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
If only deblasio and cuomo deal with gun violence the same way they are currently dealing with them dirty Jews in BP and Flatbush.

but yet most of you are on the side that is against gun regulations. go figure... and by calling jews dirty, even if its to reflect what you think they think of us, is giving power to anti-semites. they're looking to give fines. money, money money, and these are areas where people aren't complying.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:34 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
but yet most of you are on the side that is against gun regulations. go figure...

NY has gun regulations, that aint stopping the gun violence. But look, Jews are opening their essential businesses, lets ticket them. Follow the money baby, its all about the benjamins. Anti-semitism at its finest. And frum women supporting and defending this blatant anti-semitism while ignoring the high rise of gun violence. The sinas chinum in the frum community is real Can't Believe It

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:39 am

I would agree that most politicians want to appear to be doing something so they go for the low hanging fruit. It's truly easier to bully a bunch of Jews into submission than it is to subdue a bunch of criminals.
Basically a larger group than the frum community would have to say that restrictions slow the virus temporarily and that it's not worth it to them to live this way indefinitely for such little and uncertain gain.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:57 am
NY has gun regulations, that aint stopping the gun violence. But look, Jews are opening their essential businesses, lets ticket them. Follow the money baby, its all about the benjamins. Anti-semitism at its finest. And frum women supporting and defending this blatant anti-semitism while ignoring the high rise of gun violence. The sinas chinum in the frum community is real Can't Believe It

If looking after your own comfort in regards to mask wearing goes beyond the lives of the people around you, that is also sinai chinum. I agree the going after money from the jews is anti-semitic, just like going to Harlem and beating people up is racist. but you calling yourself dirty even tongue in cheek just doesn't do us any good. They didn't say it. The percentile of people anti-vax , the % of people who don't care about laws, also worries me. I'm worried about my health, my children's health, and the increase of anti-semitism which we do fuel by showing the city how selfish we are.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:03 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:

I'm the same as you. And yet, I recognize that it is much more difficult to socially distance here than it is in other places. That is what other people don't understand. Limiting social interaction further is very very difficult when you live cramped to begin with.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:04 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I would agree that most politicians want to appear to be doing something so they go for the low hanging fruit. It's truly easier to bully a bunch of Jews into submission than it is to subdue a bunch of criminals.
Basically a larger group than the frum community would have to say that restrictions slow the virus temporarily and that it's not worth it to them to live this way indefinitely for such little and uncertain gain.

This is basically it. Jews are easy targets.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics