Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Forbidden costumes
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Crayon210

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 7:14 pm
mimivan wrote:
Kmommy18 wrote:
Ok I know for a fact that Bais Rifka High School teaches "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. Is it ok if it's for educational purposes?

When I taught at Beis Rivka in CH, we read Lord of the Flies and there was a pig head in that book. (and alot of other stuff...) The principal chose the English curriculum.

shock

justanothermother

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 7:24 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
mimivan wrote:
Kmommy18 wrote:
Ok I know for a fact that Bais Rifka High School teaches "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. Is it ok if it's for educational purposes?

When I taught at Beis Rivka in CH, we read Lord of the Flies and there was a pig head in that book. (and alot of other stuff...) The principal chose the English curriculum.

shock

Why shock ?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 7:29 pm
justanothermother wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:
mimivan wrote:
Kmommy18 wrote:

shock

Why shock ?
Because she is so excited and can't wait to order it from Amazon?

Tehilla

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 7:31 pm
I feel the same way (regarding shock ) . it is a detestable book to teach any child. I had to read it in school, and wish I'd never had to put such filth in my head. I find the majority of "classic" literature to be disgusting, depressing, and full of anti-Torah (anti-humanity!) ideology. I hope my children never pick up that literature. there are plenty of excellent English books out there for English language purposes.

we have our children in Limudei Kodesh/yiddish only programs.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 7:37 pm
Tehilla wrote:
I feel the same way (regarding shock ) . it is a detestable book to teach any child. I had to read it in school, and wish I'd never had to put such filth in my head. I find the majority of "classic" literature to be disgusting, depressing, and full of anti-Torah (anti-humanity!) ideology.
Now it's my turn to shock

mimivan

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 7:37 pm
Look, I would not have chosen to teach that book. The principal had it on the curriculum...and I had to teach it (I was also a spanking new BT and wasn't aware) If you are offended and are worried about what your girls may read at B.R, I'd say take it up with the principal please...

I asked why and she said it was to teach the kids what could happen in a world without Torah...but that would justify watching alot of things I would never let my kids watch. Go figure...

Now you know to be careful about what your kids read in school and not leave the job of censorship solely up to the principal and the teacher. Just don't shoot the messenger. Wink

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 8:04 pm
Do you ladies every buy animal crackers?

Tehilla

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 8:24 pm
mimivan wrote:
Look, I would not have chosen to teach that book. The principal had it on the curriculum...and I had to teach it (I was also a spanking new BT and wasn't aware) If you are offended and are worried about what your girls may read at B.R, I'd say take it up with the principal please...

I asked why and she said it was to teach the kids what could happen in a world without Torah...but that would justify watching alot of things I would never let my kids watch. Go figure...

Now you know to be careful about what your kids read in school and not leave the job of censorship solely up to the principal and the teacher. Just don't shoot the messenger. Wink

yo mimi, totally not offended at you in the slightest and my post wasn't directed at you but at the subject you raised. my kids aren't even in BR.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 8:29 pm
I for one, started buying Alef Beis crackers since Leibers came out with them not long ago.
We're not going back to animal crackers. My kids just LOOOOVE the Alef Beis ones. Much cooler.

Atali

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 8:33 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

I wouldn't, but I wouldn't stop my kids from eating them at someone elses house.

Besides, they aren't healthy anyway.

mimivan

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 12:12 am
Tehilla wrote:
mimivan wrote:

yo mimi, totally not offended at you in the slightest and my post wasn't directed at you but at the subject you raised. my kids aren't even in BR.

Sorry I was a bit on the defensive, but I didn't feel right about teaching it even then and it has bothered me since, even though I had only been shomer Shabbat and Kashrus for 6 weeks before I was hired for this great job and didn't know much about kosher chinuch
(which raises a question we might want to start a thread about on a certain forum .I'm not sure)

mimivan

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 12:53 am
Atali wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

I wouldn't, but I wouldn't stop my kids from eating them at someone elses house.

Besides, they aren't healthy anyway.

Yeah, my mashpia basically said I should try my best but if a kid by chance gets to play with a bear or something else, it is not the end of the world. Not like it is treif.

Still, we should try our utmost as Chabadniks to fulfill the horaos of the Rebbe.

My four year old goes to a special gan for kids with communication difficulties. It is hareidi b'h but not Chabad, so he comes home with all kinds of stories about non-kosher animals. But I don't go crazy over it...my mashpia said there isn't much I can do about this...we just try our best.

Zus

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 3:21 am
mimivan wrote:
Zus wrote:
I am with Ruchel.

And no I didn't say that CM is off topic just to stir sh*t. I actually meant it.

Hey, nice language... Rolling Eyes

My first language isn't english either. Cut me some slack.

mimivan

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 3:40 am
I'm sorry...but is that an excuse to use bathroom language? I don't speak Hebrew well either, but I don't go around my neighborhood cussing people out in Hebrew..

Sorry about that, but I had to say something...this isn't the place for that kind of stuff...

Zus

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 3:41 am
I'll say "stir feces" next time, OK?

mamacita

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 3:42 am
I am not Chabad and we also limit some exposure to the treife animals. My husband and I try to be very careful with the language we use around our children, so we sing This little <<insert>> for their toesies and when we sing Old Macdonald there are no oinkings here, there, or anywhere.

There is a discussion somewhere about how a kohen was found to be ineligible for service after he compared his portion to a lizard's tail. His use of bad language caused his background to be examined. (pesachim 3 a-b, yay google).

We aren't particular about all treif animals, mostly the more commonly eaten ones. Not a minhag, just a personal preference.

mimivan

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 3:43 am
Zus wrote:
I'll say "stir feces" next time, OK?

A wee bit better...no hard feelings...I enjoyed reading your post in the Lamaze section.

Zus

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 3:47 am
mamacita wrote:

We aren't particular about all treif animals, mostly the more commonly eaten ones. Not a minhag, just a personal preference.

Same here.
For that reason I have a problem with the food brand Knorr. When I was still living in Holland, Knorr was THE symbol of treif food, not in the least because Knor(r) means Oink! Now Knorr made its way to Israel and is kosher here, but I still wouldn't buy from them.

mimivan

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 3:48 am
That's funny..the name is Oink, but it's kosher!
Must be really confusing!

Zus

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 3:49 am
Only we dutch people make that association.
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics