Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
ISO alarm clock that shuts itself off

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 6:44 am
I’m looking for an alarm clock that can be used on shabbos. (Something besides the shabbos clock)

sevengirl

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 8:28 am
I have something like this - it’s battery operated and rings for a min and then goes off https://www.target.com/p/1-34-.....03099

Last edited by sevengirl on Fri, Nov 06 2020, 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

GLUE

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 8:54 am
I brought a battery operated clock in Walmart, it only rings for a minute then shuts off. Is that what you are looking for?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 8:55 am
GLUE wrote:
I brought a battery operated clock in Walmart, it only rings for a minute then shuts off. Is that what you are looking for?

Yes! Can you post a link? Thank you

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 8:56 am
Our clock radio does that, but also, my husband has an app (shabbos alarm) on his iPhone. Alternately there a hack on the iPhone: set 2 alarms. The first one with sound and a second on silent 2 minutes later

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 9:33 am
In the past, I've just searched on amazon for "travel alarm clock"...those are usually battery powered and the alarm will just go off for 1 or 2 min (depending on model) and then stop if left alone. I usually look for something cheap with ok reviews that clearly says it automatically shuts off. I also want it with a battery because these are my kids weekday alarms kept by their beds. So, if for some reason they are used on shabbos, we move them to another shelf etc to remind us not to silence them or hit snooze.

doctorima

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 9:38 am
I've used this one for years, it rings for 60 seconds then shuts itself off. You may be able to find it for cheaper on Ebay:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....7dac3

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 11:53 am
We use the reminder function of Alexa on the Amazon echo. We say "Alexa set reminder for 8am every Saturday to get up to go to shule". It makes the announcement every week just once (without having to reset every week). if you're worried about ignoring it you can set another reminder for 5 or 20 min after. We even use a reminder based on sunset to remind us that shabbos will begin in 10 minutes. Alexa is my new best friend. I highly recommend.

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 1:17 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
We use the reminder function of Alexa on the Amazon echo. We say "Alexa set reminder for 8am every Saturday to get up to go to shule". It makes the announcement every week just once (without having to reset every week). if you're worried about ignoring it you can set another reminder for 5 or 20 min after. We even use a reminder based on sunset to remind us that shabbos will begin in 10 minutes. Alexa is my new best friend. I highly recommend.

She doesn't keep reminding you? I find that when I tell my alexa to remind me something she says it several times. Until I say "Alexa cancel

little neshamala

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 1:21 pm
We just use our cell phones! Set alarm, specify if you want it to snooze at all, if so how many times and thats it. We have it ring twice on shabbos a few minutes apart and then stop

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 1:37 pm
I have the sonic boom vibrating alarm clock and it turns off within a minute (you can also set it to beep and not vibrate)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 2:22 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:

It isn’t a halachic problem to leave Alexa on and “listening” a whole shabbos? What if you accidentally tell it to do something?

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 2:57 pm
Re Alexa - if you use the reminder function (instead of the alarm/timer function) it will only tell you once (so no need to cancel). Regarding the microphone on shabbos - there is a button on the echo that disables the microphone. We hit that button before shabbos - a red light will go on (the reminders will still work) and this way you can't accidentally activate the echo). After shabbos - we hit the button again, and it's good to go.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics