Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
To nyc if corona is over
1  2  Next

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 5:43 am
So...

I've never been in the USA I've been in anywhere else in Europe from Sweden to Croatia, England, Spain, Czech Republic, Turkey... Romania... You name it. Oh and I've been in EY twice.
But never to the USA.
So DH who is half American said to me we are going to visit USA once. And I'm just curious what I need to see if I visit BP, Williamsburg or something like that. Like cheap shops for frum clothing... Do I miss out on something I don't know how is NYC if you are sensory so sensitive.

Please englighten me

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 7:12 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
So...

I've never been in the USA I've been in anywhere else in Europe from Sweden to Croatia, England, Spain, Czech Republic, Turkey... Romania... You name it. Oh and I've been in EY twice.
But never to the USA.
So DH who is half American said to me we are going to visit USA once. And I'm just curious what I need to see if I visit BP, Williamsburg or something like that. Like cheap shops for frum clothing... Do I miss out on something I don't know how is NYC if you are sensory so sensitive.

Please englighten me

Just an fyi, corona is far from over. Stores in boro park are not requiring masks or social distancing. I have not stepped foot in boro park since covid.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 8:21 am
Cheap is relative. Many frum clothing stores are actually quite expensive if your budget for a shirt is less than $50. If you are bigger than a L, that narrows down your options tremendously and the price goes up even more.

bernadette

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 9:03 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Cheap is relative. Many frum clothing stores are actually quite expensive if your budget for a shirt is less than $50. If you are bigger than a L, that narrows down your options tremendously and the price goes up even more.

I think she means cheap if you compare to Europe?
OP, if you are looking for a bargain, you ll do well at target, Burlington, sometimes at Macy’s, Nordstrom rack etc ( I’m the unpopular poster who doesn’t shop in frum stores because they are expensive)

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 9:06 am
When I come to American I don't plan on going to a single frum store. TJ Maxx and Marshall's and Nordstrom rack and Target here I come!

I follow way too many people who post the cutest clothing, home decor, and accessories, from target. I'm so jealous.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 9:12 am
LovesHashem wrote:
When I come to American I don't plan on going to a single frum store. TJ Maxx and Marshall's and Nordstrom rack and Target here I come!

I follow way too many people who post the cutest clothing, home decor, and accessories, from target. I'm so jealous.

So sad about century 21 closing. You would have loved it

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 10:12 am
NYC is a living hell for sensory people. Remember, this is called "The City that Never Sleeps" for a very good reason.

Bring earplugs or noise canceling headphones. You will hear car horns honking and emergency sirens 24/7.

The smells, OH, the smells! Nobody warns you about that. Alleys that smell like bathrooms, cooking smells from 1,000 restaurants, overflowing dumpsters... If you like aromatherapy, I strongly suggest you put your favorite essential oils on the inside of your mask.

The crowds on the sidewalk. Social distancing? Not on your life. You will get bounced around from side to side like a pinball, unless you learn the fine art of dodging and weaving.

At night, the lights are extremely bright, so bring "blue blocker" sunglasses with you if you are prone to migraines. https://www.amazon.com/Element.....ydWU=

The outer boroughs are a bit better, but certainly not what I would call sensory friendly.

NY is a fabulous place to live when you are young. If you are in your early 20's, like I was when I lived there, it was constant excitement, and just stepping out your front door always brought you a new experience and adventure. I really wish I had journaled those years, but I was too busy DOING things to actually hold still long enough to write. I have great memories, but I could never live there again.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 10:17 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Just an fyi, corona is far from over. Stores in boro park are not requiring masks or social distancing. I have not stepped foot in boro park since covid.

OP said she's planning to come when Covid is over.
BP not following the rules doesn't need to be brought up in every thread. It doesn't come in here, OP didn't ask about this.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 10:40 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
NYC is a living hell for sensory people. Remember, this is called "The City that Never Sleeps" for a very good reason.

Bring earplugs or noise canceling headphones. You will hear car horns honking and emergency sirens 24/7.

The smells, OH, the smells! Nobody warns you about that. Alleys that smell like bathrooms, cooking smells from 1,000 restaurants, overflowing dumpsters... If you like aromatherapy, I strongly suggest you put your favorite essential oils on the inside of your mask.

The crowds on the sidewalk. Social distancing? Not on your life. You will get bounced around from side to side like a pinball, unless you learn the fine art of dodging and weaving.

At night, the lights are extremely bright, so bring "blue blocker" sunglasses with you if you are prone to migraines. https://www.amazon.com/Element.....ydWU=

The outer boroughs are a bit better, but certainly not what I would call sensory friendly.

NY is a fabulous place to live when you are young. If you are in your early 20's, like I was when I lived there, it was constant excitement, and just stepping out your front door always brought you a new experience and adventure. I really wish I had journaled those years, but I was too busy DOING things to actually hold still long enough to write. I have great memories, but I could never live there again.

Hahaha I already have earplugs and noise-canceling headphones. Alleys like bathrooms meh... My husband already warned me about it, he has been to a yeshivah tere for a few months. I'm just so curious!!! All my sluchim friends go once a year, even my very litvishe friends go sometimes and my chassidisha sheitalmacher goes there. I've never been there! Ok I've been in Sweden (boring), Danmark (meh), I live close to the border of Germany been there many of times, same as Belgium... UK of course...Austria, Romania, Istanbul turkey... Spain.. Croatia, Italy.... Oh and I find Israel dirty and noisy. France is ok..

You know it's just I've never been in America and I loved the musical Rent and the HBO series Girls (Adam Driver duh)..I just think you have to be there and to see a really big Jewish community aswell... I had a culture schok in Golders Green and Manchester because I'm used to Antwerp and Amsterdam... what will America do... (ok I've been in Tzfat and JLM) Oh and we have blue blocker sunglasses a lot since my husband has DSPD.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 11:55 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Hahaha I already have earplugs and noise-canceling headphones. Alleys like bathrooms meh... My husband already warned me about it, he has been to a yeshivah tere for a few months. I'm just so curious!!! All my sluchim friends go once a year, even my very litvishe friends go sometimes and my chassidisha sheitalmacher goes there. I've never been there! Ok I've been in Sweden (boring), Danmark (meh), I live close to the border of Germany been there many of times, same as Belgium... UK of course...Austria, Romania, Istanbul turkey... Spain.. Croatia, Italy.... Oh and I find Israel dirty and noisy. France is ok..

You know it's just I've never been in America and I loved the musical Rent and the HBO series Girls (Adam Driver duh)..I just think you have to be there and to see a really big Jewish community aswell... I had a culture schok in Golders Green and Manchester because I'm used to Antwerp and Amsterdam... what will America do... (ok I've been in Tzfat and JLM) Oh and we have blue blocker sunglasses a lot since my husband has DSPD.

Really, it's a once in a lifetime experience, and it's not like anywhere else on earth, except maybe Hong Kong. Just go with the attitude that "everything is a big exciting adventure", and you will be fine. The more flexible and adaptable you can be, the more you can enjoy it. NY is definitely not the place for people to be rigid, because you never know what to expect! Surprised

cbsp

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 11:59 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

FF, Manhattan these days is a ghost town. Seriously. (except for when there are actual protests going on)

It's actually an ideal time to visit now for someone who's sensory...

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 12:01 pm
cbsp wrote:
FF, Manhattan these days is a ghost town. Seriously. (except for when there are actual protests going on)

Yeah I only can sent my husband then because he is an American!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 12:04 pm
cbsp wrote:

The only time I ever saw NYC quiet, was that magical hour between when the bars close, and people get up for early morning work.

I can't even imagine it being so quiet all the time. I can't decide whether that would be cool, eerie, or both. Part of the charm of NY is the chaos.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 12:13 pm
cbsp wrote:

Do you live here? I do. It’s definitely not a ghost town. It’s not pre covid by any means but it’s not empty the way it was in the spring.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 12:18 pm
cbsp wrote:

Manhattan is no way a ghost town. Stores & business are open and the streets aren't almost empty anymore.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 12:51 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Do you live here? I do. It’s definitely not a ghost town. It’s not pre covid by any means but it’s not empty the way it was in the spring.

LOL. Every time I can't find parking, and struggle to avoid all the people on the streets, I wonder what alternative reality people live in.

cbsp

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 12:54 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:

Ok, I'm glad to hear it's coming back.

I was in midtown late August and was brokenhearted to see a closed Hudson News in Pen station still displaying Passover and Easter books, billboards touting movies from February and March, walking into an empty E train car, and emerging to boarded up and empty storefronts on Lexington and Park Avenues in the 50s-60s. There was even available street parking!

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 1:46 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
OP said she's planning to come when Covid is over.
BP not following the rules doesn't need to be brought up in every thread. It doesn't come in here, OP didn't ask about this.

Actually the thread title is..if corona is over..I answered that it isn't..I directly responded to her query

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 1:54 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
So...

But never to the USA.

Please englighten me

This is so cool! When are you coming? Hope you enjoy your stay. You’ll finally meet the American aliens from this forum!
#wegothorns

chanchy123

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 2:02 pm
OP, I don’t live in NY, but have been there as a tourist. There is so much to see and do there, it’s just so much more than the Jewish communities in Brooklyn. Especially if you’ve watched American TV it movies it is just so iconic. There are museums, parks, and landmarks. The first time I was in NU just riding the subway was a thrill, it felt like I was part of an episode of Seinfeld or Friends. Jewish Brooklyn is interesting, but that should only be part of your trip, not the destination.

I imagine if you’re coming from Europe the convenience of so many kosher restaurants must be a huge plus.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics