Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O careers that earn 250k+
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 6:56 pm
professor wrote:

A programmer makes less than 100 k. Close to it if he's lucky.

Maybe some don’t...I certainly know a few who do. I have several close relatives who have been in the field for many years and the lowest salary among them is probably around 130K. Two of them don’t even have degrees.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:20 pm
Physicians in certain specialties in private practice

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:39 pm
For programming, big tech (Facebook, Apple, Amazon, google, etc) usually give the highest compensation and it’s easy to be well above $250k. Comp is usually mostly a mix of salary and stock, with a bit of bonus as well. IME, smaller companies are still paying around the $200k level for engineers with a decent amount of experience.

For the large companies, this site is quite accurate:
https://www.levels.fyi/

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:03 pm
This is a great discussion. Yes it’s nice to earn a high salary as a professional. I personally do (not 250k but over 150k, and I know lots of women who do as well). However, I think it’s much better to own your own business. Because then you aren’t trading your time for money. And you can’t be fired. And you can structure it in a way to minimize taxes. Yes for the majority of us, getting a good job is the way to eat and buy a house and pay tuition. But for the lucky few that can create their own successful businesses, they can get a lot farther on the monetary front.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:32 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
My dh is a computer programmer. His salary is less than 100k. His annual income is $150k because of investments.

May I ask, what kind of investments bring 50k per year. Also, how much money does one have to invest to be able to profit 50k?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:40 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I'm a computer programmer and don't think I'll ever make near that... Where exactly can one make over 250k besides for silicon valley?

If they're really good and they do c++ electronic trading systems for a hedge fund or investment bank, or similar with core java. These are complex systems and require in depth knowledge of data structures, algorithms, multithreading, socket programming.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:46 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
May I ask, what kind of investments bring 50k per year. Also, how much money does one have to invest to be able to profit 50k?

1 million dollars Yerusha. (Im Yirtze Hashem by everyone.) Mix of stocks and real estate and giving Maaser every year.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:21 pm
Social workers and psychologists in private practice charge upwards of $150 for 45 min. If they work full time they can make more than $250k. Of course it takes many years to build up to that, but I know therapists who are fully booked and charge even more than that.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:39 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Social workers and psychologists in private practice charge upwards of $150 for 45 min. If they work full time they can make more than $250k. Of course it takes many years to build up to that, but I know therapists who are fully booked and charge even more than that.

Waiting for therapists to chime in here but I dont believe that's true. The fees dont go completely to the therapist, there are a lot of expenses including rent, insurance, continuing education training, etc.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:45 pm
I’m sure a good therapist in private practice that charges over $200 and has a full practice makes 250k...

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:14 pm
In many professions you can make that much but you have to work hard. Example: an accountant can be a dead end boring make 60k for the rest of your life working for a community tax form vs make 300-500k as a partner in a big 4 firm or a director of finance in a large company. There are many more making 60k. And many in between making 150-200k. For most women who want to raise a family expect to earn on the lower end of the spectrum.

So yes psychiatrists, doctors, surgeons, accountants, psychologists, software developers, engineers, lawyers, nurse anesthetists, anaesthesiologists can make that much but many don't.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:27 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
1 million dollars Yerusha. (Im Yirtze Hashem by everyone.) Mix of stocks and real estate and giving Maaser every year.

You have dividends coming in at 50k?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:52 pm
[quote="professor"]Hahahahahahahahahajahahahahahaha

I come from computer programming family. My father had a computer before anyone in the US ever heard of one.

No.

A programmer makes less than 100 k. Close to it if he's lucky.[/quote

Not very likely but possible. My father started off as a computer programmer and eventually became the CTO of a financial firm with a salary well above 250k. (Although at that point he probably didn't do much programming) He never received a higher degree than his BS in computer programming.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:57 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Waiting for therapists to chime in here but I dont believe that's true. The fees dont go completely to the therapist, there are a lot of expenses including rent, insurance, continuing education training, etc.

I am a therapist. Insurance is not that much. Even if you do a few intensive trainings a year it’s only a few thousand dollars, and most people do not train like that yearly. There’s certainly a lot of money invested at the beginning but once someone builds up, even with their expenses, if they truly have a full time practice, they can make more than 250k.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:04 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I am a therapist. Insurance is not that much. Even if you do a few intensive trainings a year it’s only a few thousand dollars, and most people do not train like that yearly. There’s certainly a lot of money invested at the beginning but once someone builds up, even with their expenses, if they truly have a full time practice, they can make more than 250k.

Yes, but how much do you actually take home?
Are you able to work a full time schedule? Is that to draining on the average therapist? Can one fill enough hours and time-slots? Is one busy every day at 10 am, or are after hours, when the kids are home from school, the ones which are in demand?
How often do people cancel, leaving you with dead time?
What are your office expenses?
How many hours are filled with non-billable work.....

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:07 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Yes, but how much do you actually take home?
Are you able to work a full time schedule? Is that to draining on the average therapist? Can one fill enough hours and time-slots? Is one busy every day at 10 am, or are after hours, when the kids are home from school, the ones which are in demand?
How often do people cancel, leaving you with dead time?
What are your office expenses?
How many hours are filled with non-billable work.....

Oh I work very part time. I’m not looking to make 250k. Just stating how some do.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:27 am
professor wrote:
Hahahahahahahahahajahahahahahaha

I come from computer programming family. My father had a computer before anyone in the US ever heard of one.

No.

A programmer makes less than 100 k. Close to it if he's lucky.

Actually my father worked for Morgan Stanley as a computer programmer, he made 250k+. So yes its possible, however he has knh a 'gemra kup' as they call it.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 1:09 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
It would be very unusual for a computer programmer to make 250K, even as a manager at a large corporation. I could see tops 150K-170K.

My dh makes more. Think a company like Google.

cnc

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 1:17 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Oh I work very part time. I’m not looking to make 250k. Just stating how some do.

It's impossible because no therapist can have a 40 hour week consisting of only private pay clients. They either work in a clinic (at 50-60$ a session) in addition to their private practice, teach in graduate programs or hold salaried positions in organizations or clinics.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:14 am
[quote="amother [ Goldenrod ]"]
professor wrote:
Hahahahahahahahahajahahahahahaha

No.

A programmer makes less than 100 k. Close to it if he's lucky.[/quote

Not very likely but possible. My father started off as a computer programmer and eventually became the CTO of a financial firm with a salary well above 250k. (Although at that point he probably didn't do much programming) He never received a higher degree than his BS in computer programming.

Very likely. The median salary for a programmer in the United States, according to the BLS, was $86,550. Only the top 10% make over 140K.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes151251.htm

It is well known in the computer industry that employees of Google or similar, and programmers in California, make a lot more. Those are all the ones who make up the over 140K..... and some subspecialties make more.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics