Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Do you extinguish the menorah flames before going to sleep?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you extinguish the flames before going to sleep?
Yes  
 53%  [ 76 ]
No  
 46%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 141

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 4:31 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
No.
Humans are G-d's candles/oil lights.
We do not put out light only add to it.

Yes yes. So true and beautiful.

Also, so opposite of what HKBH wants from us. We are not supposed to put ourselves in danger.

Every year we see another chesedfund campaign for a family who R’L lost everything because they went to sleep or left their house with the menorah still lit. Is that the risk you want to take? Is that the frum way?

No one should sit shiva for their children because they thought they were being extra frum with lights that burn until the next morning. Yet, just about every year we hear about this.

Don’t fill your cups so high. It’s quite simple. My husband uses pre-filled cups. My son filled his own. Both were out within three hours. The years we had to leave the house, we either waited to light when we got home or if that was not possible because we were getting home too late, we extinguished after 30 minutes. But we plan smartly and this is very infrequent. Don’t. Fill. Your. Cups. So. Full. It’s simple.

This is another one of those times when I know anyone who would ask a shailah - should I let the fire burn overnight? Or should I not fill my cup so high that it burns so long? Anyone would be told to use the Seichel HKBH gave you.

Do not leave fire unattended. Fill it with less oil or put it out before bed. I don’t want to read about you online.

Last edited by watergirl on Sun, Dec 13 2020, 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 4:35 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
We don’t and ours also burns through the night. In fact this morning at 11 the erev Shabbos flame was still burning.
P.S. I think of the Azan family every chanuka! Crying Heart

How can you use a crying emoji while using the Azan family name and still leave the flames while you sleep? The emoji almost makes it seem like it’s light hearted. Why are you filling your cups so full that they burn so long? This is so dangerous! The remaining Azan family members want people to be smarter!

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 4:41 am
There is absolutely no reason to use so much oil that the candles burn late into the night. There's every reason to be careful.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 5:11 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Same. I do have to put up a screen to protect them, though. My blind cat sometimes likes to come and go if she feels the window open, and she can't see the flames so she doesn't know that there is danger until she's practically knocking over the menorah. I figured that out on the first night! Surprised

As soon as Chanukah is over, I'm going to find a glass box on sale, and have it for next year. I'll feel much better about it if I end up taking an unexpected nap.

DHs is in a glass box as well

pause

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 7:17 am
We extinguish them if we go out to a party after the half-hour, and we do the same before going to sleep. After too many horrible stories, we don't leave lit candles unattended.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 7:40 am
watergirl wrote:
How can you use a crying emoji while using the Azan family name and still leave the flames while you sleep? The emoji almost makes it seem like it’s light hearted. Why are you filling your cups so full that they burn so long? This is so dangerous! The remaining Azan family members want people to be smarter!

I actually extinguished the flames last night before bed thanks to this thread!
We were obviously always being super careful. Nowhere near any window shades, or any chance of it touching anything since it’s the center of a sturdy table but I got the creeps here and figured I’ll still be extra safe.
For those who asked how it’s even possible that it should burn this long, we have a large menorah and the glass that coordinates the size of the menorah holds that much oil I guess.

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 7:42 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
I actually extinguished the flames last night before bed thanks to this thread!
We were obviously always being super careful. Nowhere near any window shades, or any chance of it touching anything since it’s the center of a sturdy table but I got the creeps here and figured I’ll still be extra safe.
For those who asked how it’s even possible that it should burn this long, we have a large menorah and the glass that coordinates the size of the menorah holds that much oil I guess.

When I was growing up, in the olden days before pre filled cups, we filled the glass cups with water and then just a bit of oil to last an hour. Theres no reason to fill up the glass cups entirely with oil.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 7:48 am
When people say they never leave a flame burning unattended - what do you do for candle lighting second day Yom Tov? And have none of you ever yet needed to light a yahrzeit candle?

My chanukiah is in a glass box on the outside windowsill. It goes out around 11:00, and I may or may not be asleep by then. My Shabbos candles normally have enough fuel to burn until it gets light - on purpose. I like waking up and seeing their glow. There is nothing flammable within the immediate area.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 7:53 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
When people say they never leave a flame burning unattended - what do you do for candle lighting second day Yom Tov? And have none of you ever yet needed to light a yahrzeit candle?

My chanukiah is in a glass box on the outside windowsill. It goes out around 11:00, and I may or may not be asleep by then. My Shabbos candles normally have enough fuel to burn until it gets light - on purpose. I like waking up and seeing their glow. There is nothing flammable within the immediate area.

A yahrzeit candle is sturdy and unlikely to tip over. Also, the flame is encased within the holder. It's not perfect, but it's much safer than open flames in a menorah that can fall.

Please don't use so much fuel in your shabbos candles.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 7:56 am
I have neighbours who light outside, by the entrance to the building. He purposely puts in enough oil to burn until the morning. They are strict on 'ad sh'ichleh regel min hashuk', and feels that l'chumrah, with people potentially going in and out at all times of the night, the candles need to be burning all night. This is in a fish tank in the lobby with foil over the top and nothing flammable in the immediate area. He makes sure to move the garbage away, both for safety and out of kavod to the Chanukah candles.

Last edited by Elfrida on Sun, Dec 13 2020, 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Zehava

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 7:58 am
DREAMING wrote:
We move it to the center of the table (away from window shades...) after the half hour.

Us too. Nothing flammable on the table only glass. So most likely even if it tips over it’ll go out.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 7:59 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
A yahrzeit candle is sturdy and unlikely to tip over. Also, the flame is encased within the holder.

As are the Shabbos candles in their glass cups. And the Chanukiah in its glass box.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 8:05 am
As are the Shabbos candles in their glass cups. And the Chanukiah in its glass box.

Not really. They are less stable.

There's no compelling reason to have Channukah or shabbos candles lit all night, and there's a very compelling reason not to leave the flames unattended.

I know of house fires started by menorahs and shabbos candles, but I've never heard of a fire started by a yahrzeit candle. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I bet it's a lot less common. Why take the risk?

amother
Amber

amother [ Jade ] wrote:
A yahrzeit candle is sturdy and unlikely to tip over. Also, the flame is encased within the holder. It's not perfect, but it's much safer than open flames in a menorah that can fall.

Please don't use so much fuel in your shabbos candles.

Our shabbos candles are in a glass just like a yartzeit candle. For the menorah we use the 3 hour pre filled cups and put in on the table after 1/2 hour.

ExtraCredit

Right. We put those rubbers on bottom of the glass so it’s sitting tightly and can’t tip at all.
There’s always that ridiculous chance that a bird will find its way in from the basement and tip it over with its beak but otherwise, bederech hateva, it’s safe to keep the Shabbos and menorah flames on unattended in my house. I never felt I’m doing anything unsafe by not extinguishing them.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 8:09 am
Do you remember the thread a few years ago where an amother said something caught fire and her son got badly burned extinguishing it to save the home?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 8:09 am
How how how are people leaving their menorahs lit after you go to sleep????? This is not a chumrah!!!! Even if it’s on a table - you have no idea exactly how the glass can tip off the menorah and where it will land. The stories over the years are so so so horrific. Hashem does not want you to be doing this.

I cannot believe the poll is almost half and half.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 8:21 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
How how how are people leaving their menorahs lit after you go to sleep????? This is not a chumrah!!!! Even if it’s on a table - you have no idea exactly how the glass can tip off the menorah and where it will land. The stories over the years are so so so horrific. Hashem does not want you to be doing this.

I cannot believe the poll is almost half and half.

Read my previous post. I honestly don’t see a thing irresponsible there.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 8:22 am

I stay downstairs until the candles are burned out or about to burn out. My husband uses very little oil the second night.

Yahrtzeit candles scare me. We never use the plastic ones (I don't know why they are still sold!)
I sometimes come down in middle of the night to check on it. We put it in an aluminum tin.

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 8:27 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I stay downstairs until the candles are burned out or about to burn out. My husband uses very little oil the second night.

Yahrtzeit candles scare me. We never use the plastic ones (I don't know why they are still sold!)
I sometimes come down in middle of the night to check on it. We put it in an aluminum tin.

I move the yarzeit candle to the sink if I have to leave it unattended.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics