Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Do masks save lives?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

chanchy123

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 1:33 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
No, I don't believe so. I believe they cause repeated strep and respiratory illness.

Why would you think that? I can’t remember the last time I’ve heard of anyone I know having strep - probably not since February and not any more respiratory issues than usual (if anything, a lot less).

Teomima

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 6:08 pm
Do masks protect people from the transmission of potential deadly contagions? No, of course they don't. If they did, surgeons would wear a mask every time they cut somebody open.
...oh, wait, they do? And they wore them even before covid-19?
Hmm, maybe there is something to this mask thing, after all.

Yes, that was sarcasm.

Of course masks save lives. I think we can all agree that sneezing directly into another person's face is a bad idea, right? Why is that? Because potentially infectious droplets can pass from one person to the other. So we don't sneeze into each other's faces. Ideally you don't sneeze into your hand, either, because your hand then touches other surfaces. So you do it into your elbow, a safe bit of fabric that will catch and contain the droplets that isn't likely to come into contact with another person's face. Kinda like.....oh! A mask!

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 6:10 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
No. People who were super careful about masks, always changing it, never touching it etc... still died. And people who walk around with none didn't catch it.

So NOT true.

My family and 2 families that I am very close with were/are very careful about masks, distancing, and not attending indoor simchas. They did allow children to go to school with masks and adults to go to work with masks starting in the summer.

Guess what? BH not one member of any of the families got Covid.

Masks, distancing and avoiding indoor events work!

weirdo

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 6:13 pm
I wore a mask, socially distanced, and was super careful. I wasn't exposed until I had someone that stayed in by me and she had covid. 2 weeks later I had symptoms.

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 6:23 pm
weirdo wrote:
I wore a mask, socially distanced, and was super careful. I wasn't exposed until I had someone that stayed in by me and she had covid. 2 weeks later I had symptoms.

Sorry to break this to you but you were not being careful if you allowed people from outside your immediate family to "stay in by me"

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 6:30 pm
Yup. But only if you’re good with wearing them. It might not save YOUR life if you’re not otherwise being careful, but they can save someone else’s life who is.

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 6:34 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Of course masks save lives.

And of course the refusal of people to accept science has made it more difficult than it would otherwise be to control the spread of covid.

The global death toll went over 2 million today. 389,000 in the US alone. Wear a mask.

I don't see how the global death toll proves masks save lives.

To demonstrate that masks and other restriction are effective, we'd compare countries like Italy that have had strict enforcement of restrictions and mask mandates for 6 months with countries like the US which don't have mask mandates or other restrictions. Unfortunately many countries (such as Italy) have had huse surges often coinciding with stricter covid rules. It's hard to explain but it is a fact.

Here in the US the governor of California has implemented the harshest covid restrictions of any other state in the US yet they have been having the worst surge for quite awhile now.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 6:36 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
So NOT true.

My family and 2 families that I am very close with were/are very careful about masks, distancing, and not attending indoor simchas. They did allow children to go to school with masks and adults to go to work with masks starting in the summer.

And I know people who were careful with masks and quarantine and all , and are/ were sick with covid
And I know high riskers who had covid with barely a symptom and no riskers who are now long termers.
Bottom line - better safe than sorry.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 6:46 pm
So NOT true.

Are you saying my statement that I know people who were super careful and got very sick anyway? How can you stay that's not true? And no it doesn't always work. And many people who have not been careful did not get sick at all. So no there is no proof that masks save lives.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:00 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
That is only because you are reusing the same cloth over and over

Wear a fresh paper one every day

No, it's because you're breathing in the same germy air all day and not getting enough fresh air. We change masks daily.

gande

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:08 pm
Most of you who say masks helps have been isolating yourself from others. You can isolate and NOT wear a mask and you will see the same results. So its not necessarily the masks. In fact, 90% of People are wearing masks WRONG and it makes them feel a false sense of safety so they don't social distance properly for just once and they get sick. So my opinion is that masks only do harm.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:15 pm
Funny my shell and shirt over my face is much thicker than the bandana that loosely drapes over my nose and mouth. No one gives me any issues about that though it's clearly for show. No one thinks a bandana does anything but I'm happy it makes people shut up. I'm pregnant and cannot handle masks. I rarely go out because I just don't want to deal with wearing one it's so unbearable. A whole month can go by without me leaving to a public place nowadays. BH. Weird that people worship them.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:20 pm
So NOT true.

And I know families that weren't careful and didn't get sick.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:24 pm
gande wrote:
Most of you who say masks helps have been isolating yourself from others. You can isolate and NOT wear a mask and you will see the same results. So its not necessarily the masks. In fact, 90% of People are wearing masks WRONG and it makes them feel a false sense of safety so they don't social distance properly for just once and they get sick. So my opinion is that masks only do harm.

I wear a mask daily, and do not isolate from others—I work in a school where wearing a mask is non-negotiable and I come into contact with over a hundred students each day. Outside of work I wear a mask in businesses but not in my own home or the homes of my close friends and family, with whom I see on a regular basis and do not social distance.

I had covid in March before wearing a mask was even a thing and knowledge about how one can get covid was limited. So I can’t comment on whether masks protect me from that specific virus or not. However, I can say that I have not had a single cold or strep and I usually am sick multiple times a year.

Anecdotal evidence aside, I trust science and if the majority of doctors and scientists tell me that wearing masks help, then I believe them.

(Edited to add that I own 15+ masks and wash them daily.)

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:30 pm
I work in medical office. Mask definitely reduce the spread but dont fully protect.( I personally know cases who got it despite masks and social distancing)
However it is in middle of January and we have not had a flu case despite testing manypatients with fever and other symptoms. Generally at this time of year we have at least 50 cases a week, so masks definitely help the flu from spreading.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:34 pm
No I don’t. I think the social distance thing does though.

Mommyg8

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:39 pm
I do think that masks worn correctly help prevent getting covid, when combined with other common sense practices such as social distancing, etc.

The dentist that I go to has been open continuously the entire time. The dentists and staff have been wearing masks correctly the entire time, plus social distancing and taking temperatures. None of them got COVID.

southernbubby

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:39 pm
Some masks are better then others for certain activities but higher filtration masks do a better job of protection when there is actual exposure which could happen on a plane or a train. The cheap ones are probably adequate for non congregate settings such as large stores.
Catching coronavirus doesn't always kill people so even if someone catches it they will probably survive but most of the people who I know that haven't had coronavirus do wear masks in most situations where they could be exposed.

behappy2

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:43 pm
I believe it's good hishtadlus. Hashem is the one who saves lives.

tweety1

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:52 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
Why would you think that? I can’t remember the last time I’ve heard of anyone I know having strep - probably not since February and not any more respiratory issues than usual (if anything, a lot less).

Really? Do you know how many ppl I personally know had strep within the last 6-8 weeks? How many ppl I know including in my household are currently on antibiotics for strep? I have news for you...strep is really going around now
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics