Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
S/O clearing the snow (females can as well)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:30 am
Does everyone shovel? I grew up in Canada and I don't remember any of us shoveling often. Once in a while, my father would.
But in general, the driveway was slanted downwards, and we just parked over any snow left over. And we trudged in snow on the lawn to get to the house. But after doing it once, there would be a path.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:30 am
OP get back to us when you live in a snowy climate.

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:31 am
SuperWify wrote:
Because women do enough. Why add to our pile?

Yes. I’ve never taken a bag of garbage to the dumpster in all the time I’ve been married (I’ll tie it up and change it but leave it for my husband to take out). I don’t think it’s a masculine job, it’s just the one task I know I’m not expected to do and that line needs to be somewhere. I do plenty of “manly” things like changing lightbulbs, fixing small broken stuff, putting together furniture, etc. I

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:35 am
I shovel, regularly. I do think men are more biologically suited to it, with more upper body strength. But that may not be the case in any particular family.

In my house, dh would rather shovel than take care of everyone else inside. (My kids too- the girls would rather stay inside and watch the youngers than go out, and the boys are the opposite.) If I shovel when he's home, he won't get food or drink ready for me when I come in, and won't take over whatever if I need to rest for a bit. Usually when I shovel, dh isn't home or isn't available or we're both shoveling.

My girls often get the job of cleaning the cars. That involves dexterity more than strength, and seems to work for everyone.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:36 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
But why? What exactly is masculine about taking out the trash? Smile

I don't know! It's a society made thing probably.

Who cares, works out for me!

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:37 am
Because feminism is not a reason to shoot ourselves in the foot. Sometimes I wonder if the point of feminism might have been that women can do it all...and men can do none of it. No thanks.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:39 am
Cuz I got no physical stamina...unfortunately.

Cookin4days

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:44 am
Grew up with my mother shoveling and taking out the trash ....my husbands insists he shovels and wouldn’t even let me pick up a shovel and honestly yeah okay I’ll take it I don’t care I’m all for equality but sometimes when it comes to “manual” labor I’m happy it’s not my “job,” if asks for hell of course I’m there to help him
My husbands a very hands on man, I cook and he cleans which is why he takes out the trash as well but I’ve taken it out before I don’t see that as a big deal
You do what works for you

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:45 am
I live "in town", one of the large communities, mixed types of boxes. There were years that dh did not shovel, I did. Let me explain just how embarressing it was....every. single. Man. Who. walked. By. Stopped. To. Make. A. Comment. Every. Single. One. Some stopped to grill me why dh was not shovelling and I was. Some women too. Now he has a snowblower, problem solved. Ftr, I did not mind shovelling at all.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:50 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
But why? What exactly is masculine about taking out the trash? Smile

It is just how they look like a hero to the dw, like popeye to olive oyl. What year is that from? But it is harmless if everyone is on the same page.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:56 am
I'm a real lady and I shovel my snow! I enjoy it and it's a great exercise. I met my neighbor outside this morning, she asked me how she should get her car out?! I was like you have to shovel yourself out. It surprises me how ppl think the snow will just disappear when they need to pull out... ( her husband is a heart patient, but she and her older children are more than capable)

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:58 am
I put salt down before the snow came. And then I woke up early to shovel and clear my car. Because why the heck wouldn’t I? I’m the one who needs to get my car out, I’m strong, I have gloves, and it only takes 10 minutes.

essie14

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:09 am
I shoveled snow for years. I was single and lived in a cold climate. There was no one else to do it.
Thankfully I live in Israel now and there isn't any snow to shovel Smile

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:15 am
I shoveled as a kid and still shovel now. I love it and think it is such a fun family activity and even though we have the option to get our driveway plowed.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:24 am
bigsis144 wrote:
It’s “yucky” and a lady should be dainty and offended by heavy, smelly things? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Awww, thanks for that quote! Very good. I have to bring that to my dh's attention.

By the way, I grew up in a snowy climate and did a lot of shoveling as a girl.
Now in Israel, I wish for snow every winter but get my wish only on rare occasions and in small doses.

MiriFr

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:28 am
I love shoveling! I did it all by myself 😎 as I always do. My spaghetti noodle arms are just super ripped 💪LOL I’m comin for ya, Dwane The Rock Johnson.
But I get why someone would rather hire someone else. I love cooking, but I’m allowed to order pizza from time to time, y’feel?

behappy2

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:36 am
I happen to love shoveling snow, but perhaps men like to shovel more than women? Besides for which men are generally stronger and more muscular. So when shoveling 1-2 feet of snow it would make sense that the stronger individual do the heavy lifting.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:12 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Because feminism is not a reason to shoot ourselves in the foot. Sometimes I wonder if the point of feminism might have been that women can do it all...and men can do none of it. No thanks.
Liking this was NOT enough! Thank you

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:25 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
What is feminine about baking? There are tradition gender roles whether you like it or not. I don’t think it’s good at all to strictly enforce them, but when it comes to heavy manual labor such as shoveling snow or moving furniture, then the man of the house should make sure it gets done unless the woman specifically enjoys doing it.
we will have to agree to disagree here.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:27 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Does everyone shovel? I grew up in Canada and I don't remember any of us shoveling often. Once in a while, my father would.
But in general, the driveway was slanted downwards, and we just parked over any snow left over. And we trudged in snow on the lawn to get to the house. But after doing it once, there would be a path.
So ypu just left the snow? Nobody fell and hurt thrmselves? Or broke a leg?
Nope, never heard of just leaving the snow.
What happens when there is too much to walk on?
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics