Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ff article on alcohol addiction
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:57 pm
Did anyone read it?? I was horrified.
I am wondering how common this really is. I dont think I've ever seen anyone get drunk on a regular Friday night or yom tov.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:00 pm
I'm sure it happens, but it was a vague article in many ways. Very anecdotal, and mostly anecdotes provided by the same interviewee (who I was wondering might possibly be a composite of a few people's stories? Hard to tell). No real numbers provided.
I still think it's an important issue to address!

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:07 pm
I've never seen men getting drunk on a random shabbos or yt either. I'm glad to be blessed.

Even though alcoholism isn't a challenge I've gone through with a loved one, I cried straight through that article. The dysfunction, shame, covering up, denial and most of all the loneliness were so similar to what I went through as a newlywed navigating my husband's serious but undiagnosed mental illness.

bshap

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:17 pm
I read the article you are referring to. I am sure there is a serious alcohol addiction problem with in the young adults in Frum society. However I agree with another poster that the article was vague and the story did not flow, a lot of shock value thrown in and the way they painted the naivety of the girl and her thought process just did not add up. I felt baffled throughout and the fairy tale ending after all that.. not sure what the punchline was. It was a compilation of issues that are prevalent yet did not flow. Not sure who it was meant to bring awareness to..

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:31 pm
One thing that really bugged me (and again, I am sure either details were greatly changed or are a composite of different experiences) was how the wife in the article expressed great shock and even anger at people suggesting divorce, yet suddenly woke up and realized she must stop the trajectory after she discovered marks on her baby's body. That is such a serious and dangerous thing to occur, but it was almost ignored, just treated like a minor side point. That didn't seem to shake her up as much as the suggestion of divorce...or maybe it was just the way the article was written? But a tiny baby getting treatment that leaves marks on its body is in serious, serous danger, life threatening consequences.

smss

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:46 pm
Yes it was very horrifying.
I couldn't believe she was told that she's not allowed to tell the kallahs of the guys who used to come to her house about their drinking problems.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:47 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
One thing that really bugged me (and again, I am sure either details were greatly changed or are a composite of different experiences) was how the wife in the article expressed great shock and even anger at people suggesting divorce, yet suddenly woke up and realized she must stop the trajectory after she discovered marks on her baby's body. That is such a serious and dangerous thing to occur, but it was almost ignored, just treated like a minor side point. That didn't seem to shake her up as much as the suggestion of divorce...or maybe it was just the way the article was written? But a tiny baby getting treatment that leaves marks on its body is in serious, serous danger, life threatening consequences.

Maybe I need to read it again, but I don't recall anyone suggesting divorce. In fact, I felt that everyone was dismissing her concerns.

What bothered me is that she went along with his drinking and never said a word. Um..I think if I saw my husband getting drunk every Friday night I would literally pour the wine down the drain. I would confiscate the bottles and get professional help in dealing with it. I would not host bachurim. I think I would feel an acharyus to tell the yeshiva or the boys' parents. I would not be so meek. It sounds very unrealistic that she just stood by.

It also sounds unrealistic that this husband was open with her while dating that he had this issue in the past but has now been sober for a long time, but then boom- the first week after sheva brachos he was getting drunk.

I dont know anything about addiction but I would think it would take a crisis or stressful exper3ioce to get a sober man to go back to the bottle.

Having said that, I did not get the impression that the story was a composite of people. Truth is stranger than fiction and I do think it could have all happened to one person.

What did they mean with marks on the baby? I'm kind of naive, but I cant imagine what that means. Bite marks? Black and blue marks?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:49 pm
smss wrote:
Yes it was very horrifying.
I couldn't believe she was told that she's not allowed to tell the kallahs of the guys who used to come to her house about their drinking problems.

That was very disturbing. But I have asked shaylos regarding sharing info to an engaged person in the past and was also told not to tell.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:53 pm
Her sister in law suggested divorce, as I recall. It described her shock and anger that someone even brought up the idea of divorce, said it left her shaking, but gave the barest of mentions to the marks she found on her baby's body. No details were given about that at all. Whether bruises or something else.

Just One

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Maybe I need to read it again, but I don't recall anyone suggesting divorce. In fact, I felt that everyone was dismissing her concerns.

What bothered me is that she went along with his drinking and never said a word. Um..I think if I saw my husband getting drunk every Friday night I would literally pour the wine down the drain. I would confiscate the bottles and get proffrsdional help in desling eith it. I would not host bachurim. I think I would frel an acharyus to tell the yeshiva or the boys' parents. I would not be so meek. It sounds very unrealistic that she just stood by.

It also sounds unrealistic that this husband was open with her while dating that he had this issue in the past but has now been sober for a long time, but then boom- the first week after sheva brachos he was getting drunk.

I dont know anything about addiction but I would think it would take a crisis or stressful experioce to get a sober man to go back to the bottle.

Having said that, I did not get the impression that the story was a composite of people. Truth is stranger than fiction and I do think it could have all happened to one person.

What did they mean with marks on the baby? I'm kind of naive, but I cant imagine what that means. Bite marks? Black and blue marks?

Marriage is a stressful transition, albeit a happy one. It can very well cause a relapse into addiction

lovingmommy3417

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 12:06 am
I didnt read the article, but my husband struggles with alcohol addiction. I will say that I knew going into marriage and we had very serious convos about it and I went to my husbands therapist with him.
I also was pretty naive though and didnt know how much was normal to drink for guys bec my father never drank growing up.
After several bouts of drunkenness I started taking it very seriously. My biggest wake up call was when he went out with friends for an event when we had a newborn and came back completely plastered. It was so horrifying and embarrassing. There have definitely been several times that I poured everything down the drain and didnt let him buy alcohol. I dont know how common it actually is, but its definitely real.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 1:05 am
My husband used to get drunk every few weeks. Not every Friday night at all. Most of the time he just went to bed. Once in a while he did stupid things. And then on Purim he flirted with some students girlfriends and lost his job. There’s way more to this but I want you to realize that it doesn’t have to be every Friday night and nobody in my life would’ve guessed that this was happening to me every fifth or every tenth Friday night for years:(

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 2:49 am
bshap wrote:
It was a compilation of issues that are prevalent

I think it was this. If your part of society that drinks too much the article made a lot of sense.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 2:53 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
My husband used to get drunk every few weeks. Not every Friday night at all. Most of the time he just went to bed. Once in a while he did stupid things. And then on Purim he flirted with some students girlfriends and lost his job. There’s way more to this but I want you to realize that it doesn’t have to be every Friday night and nobody in my life would’ve guessed that this was happening to me every fifth or every tenth Friday night for years:(

I'm so sorry. That sounds awful

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 8:53 am
lovingmommy3417 wrote:
I didnt read the article, but my husband struggles with alcohol addiction. I will say that I knew going into marriage and we had very serious convos about it and I went to my husbands therapist with him.
I also was pretty naive though and didnt know how much was normal to drink for guys bec my father never drank growing up.
After several bouts of drunkenness I started taking it very seriously. My biggest wake up call was when he went out with friends for an event when we had a newborn and came back completely plastered. It was so horrifying and embarrassing. There have definitely been several times that I poured everything down the drain and didnt let him buy alcohol. I dont know how common it actually is, but its definitely real.

I ask this with all due respect, but why would someone go into marriage knowing this?
After reading this article, my big takeaway is that when it comes to shidduch info, this needs to be looked into. I have dds in shidduchim and I never thought to ask this question, but now I definitely will!

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 4:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I ask this with all due respect, but why would someone go into marriage knowing this?
After reading this article, my big takeaway is that when it comes to shidduch info, this needs to be looked into. I have dds in shidduchim and I never thought to ask this question, but now I definitely will!

Nobody is perfect. Someone who had an addiction or other mental health issue, is honest and open about it, and worked through it with professional guidance may well be better prepared for a mature marital relationship than average people who want to think issues will never happen to them.

Of course it needs to be approached with all the caution of a sleeping dragon. But it doesn't need to be an instant deal-breaker.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 5:05 pm
My friends fil gets drunk every Friday night, his wife must be miserable

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 5:37 pm
I haven't read the article but I have so much to say. Maybe I'll come back later if I'm in the mood.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 6:00 pm
I didn’t read the article.
I do have to say that YES alcoholism is real in the frum community.
Every week there are kiddushim galore. The nicer the better. Alcohol of all types flow and no one watches who drinks what.

I personally know many men in my husbands circles who drink a LOT every shabbs and many if not all get at least slightly drunk. My husband actually took a step away from that circle when he realIzed what was going on.

It’s sad. And sickening too.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 6:07 pm
I just met a woman , who told me her DH gets dead drunk Friday night and sometimes it’s so bad that she drinks herself and she said “If we can’t beat em, join em”. So sad.
I also had two neighbors who got drunk every week. One on Friday nights and one on Shabbos day at the kiddush. The one that got drunk on Friday night was so so drunk one Shabbos he began pounding on our windows while we were asleep. We lived in a basement apartment. His wife was in total denial of the situation. She even told me that when they lived in Israel as a young couple they hosted bochurim every Friday night and the boys loved coming because her DH gave them alcohol and they would party into the wee hours of the night . She said the neighbors used to always complain about the noise and she thought the neighbors were being selfish. 🙈
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room