Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Marvel movie fans

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 6:56 am
My teenager is interested in seeing the Marvel movies and I want to make sure she sees them in order. I'm not really a fan, but does this look right? Why isn't wonderwoman on the list though?

Captain America: The First Avenger (takes place during WWII)
Captain Marvel (takes place in 1995)
Iron Man (takes place in 2010)
Iron Man 2 (takes place after Iron Man)
The Incredible Hulk (time unspecified, pre-Avengers)
Thor (takes place six months before Avengers)
The Avengers (takes place in 2012)
Iron Man 3 (takes place six months after The Avengers)
Thor: Dark World (post-Avengers, pre-Ultron)
Captain America: Winter Soldier (post-Avengers, pre-Ultron)
Guardians of the Galaxy (sometime in 2014)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (after Guardians)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (takes place in 2015)
Ant-Man (takes place in 2015)
Captain America: Civil War (post-Ultron, pre-Infinity War)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (post-Civil War, pre-Infinity War)
Doctor Strange (takes place in 2016)
Black Panther (takes place in 2017)
Thor: Ragnarok (post-Ultron, pre-Infinity War)
Avengers: Infinity War (takes place in 2017)
Ant-Man and The Wasp (ambiguous, but fits nicely between IW and Endgame)
Avengers: Endgame (starts in 2017, finishes in 2022)
Spider-Man: Far From Home (eight months post-Endgame)

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 7:21 am
Wonder Woman belongs to an entirely different comic book universe (DC), that is owned by a different studio (Warner Brothers).

Wonder Woman is from the same universe as the Justice League: Batman, Superman, Aquaman, the Flash, etc.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 7:34 am
Re: order to watch Marvel movies, there are multiple shittos: order of release vs chronologically within their universe.

https://collider.com/how-to-wa.....rder/

You can’t really go wrong with the order of release, ie start with Iron Man, etc leading up to Captain America 1 as an immediate transition into The Avengers.

There will be a few movies that are “flashbacks” and step out of the main continuity, so to speak, but they are presented with enough context that it makes sense.

The movies are separated into “phases”, each with its own little mini-arcs. It’s like each movie is a tv episode, with a few episodes making up a season of a larger tv show, you know what I mean?

I’ve never tried watching in “chronological” order, and I think that would leave more loose ends than not. Captain Marvel takes place in 1995, yeah, but she won’t show up in the main storyline at all until Avengers: Endgame, which is basically the finale of phase THREE. If you care about her, you’ll be wondering the whole time where she is.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 7:36 am
embarrassed I guess you can tell I don't really follow the superheroes

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 7:42 am
No need for embarrassment!! It’s a huuuuuge universe and it’s got dozens of movies that have been coming out since 2008... it’s a LOT to get into.

(I’m not even *touching* the comics, which have multiple continuities and timelines and stories that have been ongoing for decades and decades... I know so so so little!!! You can really get as deep into this stuff as you want. Casual fans are welcome too! The Marvel movies were made to appeal to a mass audience and they are great at that. Any additional knowledge can be a fun bonus, but is totally unnecessary.)

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 9:01 am
Woo, I'm excited for your daughter! It's a fun journey. Your list seems to be when the movies take place, rather than when they came out. I would recommend watching them when they came out because that is more the intended way to watch. Even if it takes place chronologically earlier, it may contain references to previous movies that came out first. For example Captain Marvel is one of the most recent releases, but it's second on the list because it takes place in the 1990s - but it has characters from the later movies who it sort of expects you to know already.

1. Iron Man (2008)
2. The Incredible Hulk (2008) <---- I highly recommend skipping this one though
3. Iron Man 2 (2010)
4. Thor (2011)
5. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
6. The Avengers (2012)
7. Iron Man 3 (2013)
8. Thor: The Dark World (2013)
9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
10. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
11. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
12. Ant-Man (2015)
13. Captain America: Civil War (2016)
14. Doctor Strange (2016)
15. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017)
16. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
17. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
18. Black Panther (2017)
19. Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
20. Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
21. Captain Marvel (2019)
22. Avengers: Endgame (2019)
23. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

hodeez

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 9:55 am
Skip iron man 2 and 3...not worth it lol

chanchy123

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 10:05 am
My daughter is a huge Marvell fan. The timeline of the movies is a subject that can fill an entire doctorate. It’s a whole world that is also different from the Marvell comic universe. She can talk about this stuff for hours, she watches podcasts and YouTube videos about this all day.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 10:11 am
hodeez wrote:
Skip iron man 2 and 3...not worth it lol

If you skip these, it’ll be a bigger shock later when you see the actor for Rhodey has been recast... this’ll give you some time to adjust, LOL

These aren’t awful, they’re just not great. You get some insight into Tony Stark’s character and his PTSD that leads to some of his big decisions and character moments in the most “important/world-changing” movies.

Not a complete waste of time, but skippable if you’re in a rush. It’s not a huge time commitment to get the complete story, so I think you might as well - plenty of TV shows have dud/filler episodes that are still part of the larger series.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics