Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O middle class vent
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you make over 60k?
Yes- degree  
 46%  [ 77 ]
Yes- no degree  
 27%  [ 45 ]
No - degree  
 25%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 164

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:42 pm
I don’t want to derail that thread. A few posters wrote that they went to school for many years and make about 50k.

I didn’t do schooling and make more than 50k working Less than 30 hours a week. And I have the potential to be at 65k too.

So why do schooling for professions that net so little? Aren’t they wasted years of schooling. You barely make more than someone without a degree and you have student loans.

Don’t get me wrong. I applaud those who had the drive and patience to push through more years of schooling voluntarily, but is it worth it?

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:44 pm
It makes a huge difference where one lives. My 50k job OOT pays 75-80k on the east coast.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t want to derail that thread. A few posters wrote that they went to school for many years and make about 50k.

I didn’t do schooling and make more than 50k working Less than 30 hours a week. And I have the potential to be at 65k too.

So why do schooling for professions that net so little? Aren’t they wasted years of schooling. You barely make more than someone without a degree and you have student loans.

Don’t get me wrong. I applaud those who had the drive and patience to push through more years of schooling voluntarily, but is it worth it?

What do you do?? 😀

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:45 pm
Not worth it.

Speech therapist.
I get paid very differently every month. I'm in a school based setting.
My loans atm are over 80k. We're drowning. I have no idea why the frum world glorifies the therapies.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:47 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Not worth it.

Speech therapist.
My loans atm are over 80k. We're drowning. I have no idea why the frum world glorifies the therapies.

For moms to be on a school schedule? I’m having to go back to work now and having a hard time in any field that isn’t school related Sad I don’t have a back-up support system, how do we run a two-parent working household with a warm loving calm home worth making money for?

amother
Red

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:48 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Not worth it.

Speech therapist.

Because its a modality that can be done in an accelerated fashion and in a kosher way. This way it keeps the kids within their circles, and they can quickly start earning money to support their families.

They aren't bad fields though. What happens is that such fields quickly become saturated because of the limited options available, and that drives the earnings way down.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:49 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
For moms to be on a school schedule? I’m having to go back to work now and having a hard time in any field that isn’t school related Sad I don’t have a back-up support system, how do we run a two-parent working household with a warm loving calm home worth making money for?

lol beats me (im in the same boat!). are you a therapist?

amother
Taupe

Before I had my degree I made about $1200 a month teaching. My husband made about $500 a week as a mashgiach. So $80,000 a year was a huge step up (still struggling though because other expenses went up, most of it goes to tuition.)

If I had the option to work 30 hours a week and get paid $50,000 I’d gladly take it. I didn’t have that opportunity though.

amother
Cyan

amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Not worth it.

Speech therapist.

Because it's flexible hours and in some locations you can get paid pretty nicely.

I worked as a secretary and had to quit once I had children and realized that the 8 to 6 life is not sustainable.

amother
Burlywood

Some people lack talent and motivation so a degree helps them be more employable....... Some people work by the hour and cant fill up their hours....Some people chose a field they enjoy and don't think about the money that much. But I find it hard to believe that people make less then 50k with a masters degree. Maybe they just have a bachelors.

amother
Puce

amother [ Red ] wrote:
Because its a modality that can be done in an accelerated fashion and in a kosher way. This way it keeps the kids within their circles, and they can quickly start earning money to support their families.

They aren't bad fields though. What happens is that such fields quickly become saturated because of the limited options available, and that drives the earnings way down.

im always getting emails of agencies hiring. I dont think the field is saturated at all
I just think the money is rly bad lol
for the amount I do.... I cant bill for all the paperwork I do at home, and the times I speak to parents etc

amother
Red

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:50 pm

It's extremely difficult. We all glorify the working moms, but we gloss over the toll it takes on the children.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:52 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
im always getting emails of agencies hiring. I dont think the field is saturated at all
I just think the money is rly bad lol
for the amount I do.... I cant bill for all the paperwork I do at home, and the times I speak to parents etc

With the onset of the work at home environment now due to CV, this is becoming frequently more common in all fields. Bosses aren't so hesitant to contact their workers after hours with requests.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:53 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
With the onset of the work at home environment now due to CV, this is becoming frequently more common in all fields. Bosses aren't so hesitant to contact their workers after hours with requests.

im saying before covid, and even now.
I work in a yeshiva it hasnt felt like covid there. I still speak to parents when I get home @5 and I cant bill. thats true for any therapist. ot, pt, slp. our jobs demand us to speak to parents and caregivers, and we cant even bill

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:54 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Some people lack talent and motivation so a degree helps them be more employable....... Some people work by the hour and cant fill up their hours....Some people chose a field they enjoy and don't think about the money that much. But I find it hard to believe that people make less then 50k with a masters degree. Maybe they just have a bachelors.

People have talent and motivation for different things.

I don’t have talent or motivation to start my own business or to get a job in some high paying field like finance. I have plenty of talent and motivation for the field I work in though.

Also, when you go to school you start off making all these cheshbonos how you will work here and earn that but things never go exactly according to plan.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:55 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
It's extremely difficult. We all glorify the working moms, but we gloss over the toll it takes on the children.

Yup. Really stuck. The “responsible” thing to do is to go back to work, but I don’t see how we’ll pick up the pieces. Kid is sick, kid has school play, the weeks before Pesach and between school and camp and camp and school... Sad
I’ve taught all the years, it was great schedule but don’t want to teach now for a few reasons.
Stuck.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:56 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:

Can workers say they don’t check texts and emails after hours?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:58 pm
What do you do?? 😀

I work in an office capacity. My friends in medical billing all make over 50k working 9-3/3:30..

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:03 am
Other than business/sales, what fields have such a capacity for such a high earnings potential that don’t require schooling.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:04 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
im saying before covid, and even now.
I work in a yeshiva it hasnt felt like covid there. I still speak to parents when I get home @5 and I cant bill. thats true for any therapist. ot, pt, slp. our jobs demand us to speak to parents and caregivers, and we cant even bill

I was trying to point out that it nots exclusive to teachers and therapists anymore.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics