Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O middle class vent
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you make over 60k?
Yes- degree  
 46%  [ 77 ]
Yes- no degree  
 27%  [ 45 ]
No - degree  
 25%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 164

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:18 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Can workers say they don’t check texts and emails after hours?

Depends on the job, how much they like you, and whether or not you want to keep it.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I work in an office capacity. My friends in medical billing all make over 50k working 9-3/3:30..

Do you work in a frum office? How long have you been there? Are you super efficient?
Real world -per GlassCeiling, medical billers typically make between $14-21/hour. Assuming $20/hour, full time, you are at just over 40K. And as per them and Ziprecruiter, the average salary in NYC is $36K.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:54 am
I'm so glad I got my degree. Besides that I love my field of work it makes a decent salary of about 60k for part-time. Hope to go back for a master's so I can advance in my career and earn about 150k.

A degree opens many doors. Not everyone is cut out to start a business. Outside of the tristate area medical billers and other office jobs pay between 9-25$ an hour.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:59 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I'm so glad I got my degree. Besides that I love my field of work it makes a decent salary of about 60k for part-time. Hope to go back for a master's so I can advance in my career and earn about 150k.

A degree opens many doors. Not everyone is cut out to start a business. Outside of the tristate area medical billers and other office jobs pay between 9-25$ an hour.

It’s not that it is outside the Tristate area, it’s outside the frum community.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:06 am
Op, your going to hit a ceiling and that’s it.
You can’t go up any more. 65,000 for almost a full days work 9-3 is not a lot of money.
Most people with a real degree have more earning power. They’re not stuck working as a secretary or doing office work

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:08 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

Can you tell us what you do? Considering going back to school

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:48 am
I do think some people who have degrees and low earnings picked their degree by choosing what classes they enjoyed taking instead of thinking about what their career after school would look like. If you get your degree in something that doesn’t have a good job market associated with it (ex. medieval literature, music history, underwater basket weaving, etc), your earnings are going to be more limited.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:28 am
No, but working in a school setting means everything to me. Vacation days when the kids are home, working only during school hours. That’s a luxury that those without degrees don’t normally have (unless they’re a teacher, which is not a job I could do)

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I work in an office capacity. My friends in medical billing all make over 50k working 9-3/3:30..

What in the world are you talking about?
I live in Brooklyn.
No one I know working in medical billing makes $38 an hour.

ETA- I thought you wrote 60K.
In any case, it comes out to $32 an hour.
By the time a woman reaches that salary, she has 3 kids and usually doesn't work anymore.
It's hard to get a job for short periods of time in between babies.
Therapists have their own schedules and can work for a year and then stop for a year.
No office will hire someone with that kind of record.

rosesandlilies

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:41 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
You can’t go up any more. 65,000 for almost a full days work 9-3 is not a lot of money.
Most people with a real degree have more earning power. They’re not stuck working as a secretary or doing office work

I disagree here. I work in a frum office 18 to 20 hours a week earn about 95k. Started out full time and gradually but hours as I had my kids and they started school etc. I worked hard to make myself indispensable so it pays for them to keep me and accommodate. did a lot of self directed research and learning in the field of the business etc. But I also generally find that heimish places pay way above average.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:46 am
I don’t make over 60k but my husband does. No degree.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:17 am
Personally, I make about 50k working part-time in an office. My husband also does not have a degree and makes nicely. Honestly, most of my aunts and uncles never went to college and all are pretty wealthy.
In my immediate family, most of my siblings did decide to go to college but mostly because they did not want to be working all the time, and did not want to become that workaholic that my parents are well still making some money.
Personally, I think it's a personality to be able to work for yourself, and really make money. I know I couldn't do it, but I decided not to go to college since I was not interested in going back to school. I am perfectly fine in my part-time job making 50K. ( I probably don't have much more earning power, and can maybe go up to 65 or 70 k in my job)

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:25 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
What in the world are you talking about?
I live in Brooklyn.
No one I know working in medical billing makes $38 an hour.

ETA- I thought you wrote 60K.
In any case, it comes out to $32 an hour.
By the time a woman reaches that salary, she has 3 kids and usually doesn't work anymore.
It's hard to get a job for short periods of time in between babies.
Therapists have their own schedules and can work for a year and then stop for a year.
No office will hire someone with that kind of record.
Not everyone stops working even when they have a certain amount of kids. You realize that, right?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:26 am
rosesandlilies wrote:
I disagree here. I work in a frum office 18 to 20 hours a week earn about 95k. Started out full time and gradually but hours as I had my kids and they started school etc. I worked hard to make myself indispensable so it pays for them to keep me and accommodate. did a lot of self directed research and learning in the field of the business etc. But I also generally find that heimish places pay way above average.

Who is paying 95k for a part time office worker?

So you'd be making $200k full time?

I don't know, maybe you're working for a business that's super profitable. I guess that's possible.

Most people aren't making anywhere near that for a full time job, even with master's degrees.

If it were that simple and there were all these well-paying part time jobs available nobody would bother going back to school. Clearly it isn't.

Frum people certainly do not pay way above average. Maybe some do. But there are others who skimp on salaries and pay no benefits

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:45 am
I make about 130k thanks mostly to enormous siyata dishmaya, but also based on working up through my field with a master's degree. I'm actually not working in my field at the moment but I had transferable knowledge to my current position and they matched my previous salary (and offered other less tangible benefits that made the switch worthwhile for me).
This is based on salaried full time with benefits, although I actually work at the office about 32 hours/wk + more from home as necessary

Last edited by amother on Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:51 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

It's very decent. Full time would be around 80 k.

I make 27k in my part time office job in Lakewood. Wishing to know the secret of all the posters here who make 50 k part time.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:52 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Not everyone stops working even when they have a certain amount of kids. You realize that, right?

If anything I must work harder to afford more tuition etc

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:04 am
Depends on what your degree is in and where you are. Some fields just lay little money. I have math and science degrees and do very well for myself. My husband has humanities degrees and works public transportation. He’s not using his degrees and just had to take a test. He makes good money, though.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:06 am
I think ppl with degrees are tied down working for someone else. And many times frum women pick kids over career. My boss always tells me at my review he could see me going really far but he respects I’ve made certain lifestyle choices that hold me back. So I make 100k instead of 200k++. For me it’s obviously worth it.

My dh doesn’t have a degree. I fell like he isn’t tied down to anything. He can take more risks. Try more things. Ppl without defeees many ties are more likely to work for themselves. Start businesses. Become entrepreneurs. And the sky is the limit.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:08 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Who is paying 95k for a part time office worker?

So you'd be making $200k full time?

I don't know, maybe you're working for a business that's super profitable. I guess that's possible.

Most people aren't making anywhere near that for a full time job, even with master's degrees.

If it were that simple and there were all these well-paying part time jobs available nobody would bother going back to school. Clearly it isn't.

Frum people certainly do not pay way above average. Maybe some do. But there are others who skimp on salaries and pay no benefits

Frum ppl do pay very well for good workers. Lakewood salaries are way above the country average for many jobs. Especially with experience.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics