Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Hasidic actor walks off Portman movie
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 10:32 am
Has anyone read the comments?
http://www.nydailynews.com/ent......html

This one is on the mark!

Quote:
First I’d like to thank all of you filthy stinking haters for showing who we as Chasidim are surrounded with. So let the truth be told: 95 percent of Hasidic Jews would never stand close enough to one of our “neighbors” to be able to smell your alcoholic, crack or pot stinking breath. Have you ever walked in to a Hasidic Jews home? No matter how many kids there are, it is always clean and neat. I have seen many non Jewish homes and was horrified at what I saw. Dirty laundry all over the place, cigarette butts (?) and beer bottles strewn all over and overall foul-smelling atmosphere. I really appreciate that you are revolted from us, so you can take yourselves and your families and you havoc wrecking culture, away from us. Please do move away and take along with you all your drugs and your violence. The only gunfire heard in “our” neighborhood comes from your so called cultured people, and it’s your women who are being beaten and abused in public without shame

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 10:38 am
bigdeal wrote:
lets be careful before we bash our fellow Jews- this is between Him and Th ONE ABOVE- lets leave the hateful comments for the Non- Jews- and focus on the positive- shall we?

You're kidding, right? Between him and The One Above?
After that article in the NYTimes? Something someone does "bechadrei chadorim" is between him and Hashem. This is.....well - out there for the entire world to see and judge. And would also have been had he not backed out.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 10:44 am
I doubt he wanted to make this his new career. although I did hear he was bombarded with movie offers once this leaked, since Hollywood is kind of tired of having pretend-chasidim on their chasidish-themed episodes.

His wife was okay with it - I even heard she attended the filming of a second scene.

This yungerman was always on the daring side - never a rebel but flirting with trouble. He has a great gemarakup and was a great yeshiva student, he isnt a bum or rebel - he just isnt 'afraid' of public opinion. I think he got farshikert at the money and the thrill, and when he realized the uproar would damage his family and reputation, he came to hsi senses.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 10:45 am
I happen to know him-he came to us once for shabbos.from what im imagining, he did not think it would be a big deal and when he saw it did he bravely backed out, lets not talk until we know the story from all sides. I will try to get more details later the know the real story behind it

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 10:47 am
Anyone know what he would have gotten paid for the scene?

ChossidMom

Mama Bear wrote:

. I think he got farshikert at the money and the thrill, and when he realized the uproar would damage his family and reputation, he came to hsi senses.

You sound right. Money is quite a thrill to most of us.

But, it really, really was flirting with trouble.

chocolate moose

just goes to show you - ya gotta think before you act, and to be a person of your word

bigdeal

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:09 pm
chossid mom wrote:

You're kidding, right? Between him and The One Above?
After that article in the NYTimes? Something someone does "bechadrei chadorim" is between him and Hashem. This is.....well - out there for the entire world to see and judge. And would also have been had he not backed out..

Ok now my thought:

Yes- THE ENTIRE WORLD chossid Mom- will judge- isnt THAT enough????
Wouldnt you like to know that if you made a mistake your fellow Jews would be the first to give you the benifit of the doubt????/ Wouldnt you want them to AT LEAST not continue to spread the slander, and add more salt to an open wound????
Whatever he did, he did. He is ALREADY being judged enough..... cant we all just stay away from being negative against our own nation for a change.....
Im ALL for opinion- but why is it that very often when a JEW makes a mistake ( or so it may seems) their OWN people are one of the FIRST to rip him apart???? ( rabbis- performers, teachers....)
I mean- what happened to PROTECTING each other and not clucking our toungues and shaking our heads as if WE are all that and a bag of chips....
EVERYONE makes mistakes... but OUR Jews need to depend on each other ....
Its scary to think what would happen if I or somone dear to me made a mistake and trangressed in any way ( which we ALL do since we were ALL created with a yetser hara) To think that in addition to the WORLD bashing, one must be subjected to an extra slice of stab in the back from one of their OWN.... nice....
[[b]I think theres a way to discuss an issue WITHOUT going on a rant against specifics....
( need I remind you we are here in Golus for the very reason of sinas chinam- AGAINST ONE ANOTHER)
I usually make jokes and say- where is the looooovvvve? but in this case Im so fed up with the bashing against ppl- I cant even make that joke although I do question where IS that love? because if one did love their fellow Jew so much- their FIRST reaction would be to give benefit of the doubt, etc... this applies NOT just to this story but to EVERY time a Jew is mentioned ( for this I thank my Grandmother A''H who taught ALL her grandchildren to LOVE each Jew NO MATTER WHATTTTTTTT)
Now, excuse me while I go puke
[/color
[/b]

Last edited by bigdeal on Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

Maya

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:14 pm
Bigdeal, with all due respect, I still haven't seen any bashing on this thread. This is a very interesting and odd piece of news, and all we are doing is discussing it. Noone is saying anything bad against this guy, we are just analyzing the situation. If you were to ban us from discussing anything interesting, we would all be stuck talking about mishlaoch manos. And that doesn't interest me very much.

bigdeal

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:19 pm
Maya I said it is NOT just this
and... there has been bashing ( or what qualifies as bashing )Go back and read ....
Hey I think Its a great topic- lets not analyze EVERY detail( wife, kids, etc...)

chayitty

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:35 pm
maya...wat I think big deal is trying to say is...lets try and give him the benfit of the doubt and say he did it with good intentions..didnt realize wat a big deal it would turn out to be.....instead of saying...he knew wat he wass doing and his attentions were all wrong

did u see the pic of natalie portman in the paper??? wow she looked like a typical jewish woman...so cool wat some dif cloths could do

Clarissa

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:42 pm
I agree with Maya. I don't see bashing here, just lots of speculation.

Maybe it was kind of a rumpspinga thing, like the Amish do, where he wanted a little escape from his normal life, to see what the other life is like. A film set is an exciting place where one can have a really different life experience, so it's a rare opportunity for anybody, much less someone like him. So he took a chance, and it's caused some backlash. I'm not saying he was right or wrong, but I can say that it's insane that they wanted to teach him a lesson by throwing his children out of school. Why should they be punished?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 2:20 pm
As I said, this guy was always a tad offbeat, and perhaps he didnt find it a problem to talk to Natalie. There are all kinds of Satmar guys, not everyone is cut from the same cloth.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 2:27 pm
Thank you Mama Bear, for reminding us that there are many factors to consider when judging a person and a situation.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 2:32 pm
I find the whole story very sad as if there is not enough other reasons for people to hate us, now the issue of Family purity is brought on display as well. But it will blow over as long as we keep quiet and not let our comments get into the media to add fuel to the fire. I wonder whether his wife knew about his involvement with movie business.

ChavieK

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 2:35 pm
I think mamabear has it right.Even if he knew it wasn't 100% right I don't think he thought it was so wrong. He wasn't alone with her, th cameras were there. How would he know that the whole community would find out? How did they find out?

Blossom

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 2:57 pm
amother wrote:
ChavieK wrote:
How would he know that the whole community would find out? How did they find out?

They found out because believe it or not, many Satmar people watch TV and read secular newspapers or go on the internet. They saw it in the news and then called him on it. Once upon a time, I also thought Satmar was more insulated and didn't know anything happening in the non jewish velt. But you know what? They know more than me.

I agree somewhat but wouldn't go so far as to say they watch TV.
Many do see movies and read secular newspapers but many don't. Satmar is so big and has a large variety of people from one end spectrum to another. Consider this :My friend is Satmar (hey I hope she doesn't mind me bringing her as an example) she is a real "hot" chossid. She is so attached to her Chassidus and is very vocal and proud of being Satmar and of her Rebbe. Yet she looks like a real Hot Chanie with the long custom shaitel, funky clothing, knows all the celebrity gossip and discusses movies that she watches (although her husband disapproves of it and doesn't watch along with her.) she drives, speaks only English with her children (her mother spoke only English with her). But she sends all her kids to Satmar mosdos only.
Then I have this other Satmar friend also a "hot" chassidiste who wears a shpitzel, doesn't know anything about movies at all, probably doesn't even know they exist Wink.
It's like so amazing to me. Two Chassidishe women of the same Rebbe, with the same attachment to their Chassidus yet so strikingly different. I think Satmar of all Chassiduses on earth have so many different kinds of Chassidim.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 3:07 pm
So on the "agent emes" movies, I thought it a bit strange that two married people- not married to each other, play a husband and wife. But it is not such a huge big deal. What is sooo different here?

flowerpower

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 3:10 pm
he was always know as the pretty bochor in yeshiva,

if anything I would call it a kiddush hashem a little that-he couldve touched her but he refused-even though then he didnt know peoople would find out about it he stuck to his guns.

also most satmer do not read non jewish papers and maybe one percent or less has a tv, theres something called internet and thats how everyone found out

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 3:15 pm
1. his wife is KE"H pretty.

2. she knew about it and went along with it, I heard she even attended the taping of the 2nd scene.

3. I daresay that the vast majority of Satmar chasidim do NOT watch TV, unless you count www.wcbstv.com and www.7online.com HOWEVER, this was leaked because there pictures of it all over the iNternet, and all that was needed was for ONE satmar guy to get a forward of the link from any natalie portman fan who followed her web site. that's all.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics