Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Not Your Kiruv Project
Previous  1  2  3  Next

simba

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 10:38 am
crust wrote:
The Pope? The Pope?!

The Pope?!

Why you think the Pope is more religious then I??

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 10:43 am
avrahamama wrote:
đź‘Ť

Shabbat shalom!

Let me know if you want to be on my tznius, emunah, or lashon hara broadcasts... LOL

LOL

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 10:46 am
avrahamama wrote:
In fact the one I appreciate the most js the person that sends it to me closer to the zman. I wish I lived somewhere that had a shabbat alarm.

We programmed our Amazon Alexa to announce 5 minutes before candle lighting.

honeymoon

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 11:03 am
I would love to get these reminders. I must not have any friends... Confused

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 11:25 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
We programmed our Amazon Alexa to announce 5 minutes before candle lighting.

My iPhone announces licht bentchen times to me as we get closer to Shabbos! (I also have it remind me to daven Shacharis and Mincha, and count Sefira. It keeps me frum!)

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 11:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Two people send this to me through WhatsApp, it feels condescending. But based on the answers here I feel better!

I get on average 3 a week. It really makes life easier for me. No need to go through the calendar to find the time.... you can just breathe a sigh of relief now. You’re considered a good friend that people think of you....

amother
Canary

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 1:12 pm
simba wrote:
The fallout of free messaging is verbal diarrhea.

I'm more religious then the Pope and people send it my way. Dont take it personally.

Since when is the pope religious?

amother
Canary

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 1:13 pm
I would like to get the zman times!

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 1:14 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
My iPhone announces licht bentchen times to me as we get closer to Shabbos! (I also have it remind me to daven Shacharis and Mincha, and count Sefira. It keeps me frum!)

Mine still reminds me to take my bc ... I'm 8 months pregnant with my bc fail.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 1:45 pm
I downloaded the myzmanin app

https://play.google.com/store/.....ybrid

You can set alerts on that.

We also tell our Alexa to set a reminder five minutes or so before

amother
Dustypink

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 11:29 am
Zehava wrote:
Some people just do this as a public service. You got a little weeny chip on your shoulder. It’s not like the offered you candles!

I don't get Shabbat times, but I wouldn't mind. Would save me the bother of looking it up.

I get the candles and I take them and say "thank you". Sometimes it's little girls who give them out. I wear pants and don't cover my hair, so they wouldn't know I'm not datiya. I don't take it personally, and I think the idea behind it is ahavat Israel and ahavat Torah.

I have my own candles for Shabbat, but I use those little ones they give me for when I'm cutting onions.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 11:41 am
simba wrote:
The fallout of free messaging is verbal diarrhea.

I'm more religious then the Pope and people send it my way. Dont take it personally.

I so agree with you samba about the free messaging.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 11:47 am
I signed up for Hebcal through email, and boy am I glad I did.

I have serious ADD, and sometimes I even forget what day of the week it is. Having a Shabbos siren doesn't help if you haven't prepared anything because you still think it's Thursday.

amother
DarkRed

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 6:44 pm
honeymoon wrote:
I would love to get these reminders. I must not have any friends... Confused

I'm with you! I just look at our Yeshivas zmanim/minyan time list on the fridge every week. I never would have thought to send my friends the zman and they would probably laugh at me if I did.

Crookshanks

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 7:13 pm
They don't bother me I signed up for them!

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 8:43 pm
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
I get the candles and I take them and say "thank you". Sometimes it's little girls who give them out. I wear pants and don't cover my hair, so they wouldn't know I'm not datiya. I don't take it personally, and I think the idea behind it is ahavat Israel and ahavat Torah.

Thank you for being understanding! I've been on the giving end, and felt bad when I realized that I may have hurt people's feelings by assuming that they don't light Shabbos candles.

If it makes you feel any better, when the candle lighting campaign first began, one of the young Chabad bochurim was on the street stopping every woman he saw and asking if she was Jewish and if she lit Shabbos candles.

Turned out that one of the women he stopped was the Lubavitcher Rebbetzin herself! Apparently she gave him a bit of a hard time, asking why one should light Shabbos candles. (Most people never saw the Rebbetzin, so they wouldn't have recognized her.)

rikkik

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 10:03 pm
I have a good friend who sends out a mass text every week reminding everyone what time candle lighting is.
It's a very normal, appreciated thing to do.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 10:15 pm
rikkik wrote:
I have a good friend who sends out a mass text every week reminding everyone what time candle lighting is.
It's a very normal, appreciated thing to do.

Same. I’m yeshivish and a friend sends the zmanim every week.
I really appreciate that she does

amother
Oldlace

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 10:18 pm
finprof wrote:
DH usually txts me the times on Friday afternoon before he comes home from work. It annoys me because I can look at the Calendar but it makes him happy so whatever. I'm sure even if they are sending to you specifically it is well meant.

we have the opposite prob- every week I ask my DH, what time is candlelighting, and he says check the calendar!! I get so annoyed, he knows what time it is, because he needs to leave for mincha so he checks the calendar, why can't he just tell me??

Lydia

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 10:28 pm
[quote]DH usually txts me the times on Friday afternoon before he comes home from work. It annoys me because I can look at the Calendar but it makes him happy so whatever. I'm sure even if they are sending to you specifically it is well meant.

One way men are supposed to prepare for Shabbos is to make sure in a gentle way to that the household knows what time Shabbos starts. Maybe that's the halacha he has in mind....
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics