Home

Low grade fever for a week UPDATE
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 8:42 am
My 5 month old has a really bad cold and low grade fever for a week. Whenever I take temp rectally it’s between 100.5-100.8. I took him to the doctor twice and he said he’s fine. He’s acting mostly fine, just not eating so well and been waking up the last few nights even though he was sleeping through the night previously. I think it’s because he’s hungry because he’s not eating as much during the day. He doesn’t seem to be teething so I wouldn’t attribute it to that.

I’m getting worried. What else could this be? I plan on taking him to the doctor today and want to have some ideas.
Back to top

amother




Hydrangea
 

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 8:50 am
Did they swab him? He probably has a virus. Is he coughing and sneezing a lot?
Back to top

amother




Gray
 

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 8:53 am
Rectal fever of 100.5-100.8 is not considered a fever in many doctors opinion. Ask your doctor from what rectal temperature he considers a fever.
He's probably not eating well because of his cold. Did you try to unclog his nose? Or lift the head of his mattress a bit to help him breathe better?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 9:15 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Rectal fever of 100.5-100.8 is not considered a fever in many doctors opinion. Ask your doctor from what rectal temperature he considers a fever.
He's probably not eating well because of his cold. Did you try to unclog his nose? Or lift the head of his mattress a bit to help him breathe better?


I clean his nose out all the time. I believe 100.3 and above is considered fever. This is not his normal temp.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 9:16 am
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
Did they swab him? He probably has a virus. Is he coughing and sneezing a lot?


He’s sneezing a lot and coughing from phlegm. A virus could take over a week to see any improvement? His temp was higher this morning than a week ago.
Back to top

Sunny Days




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 9:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He’s sneezing a lot and coughing from phlegm. A virus could take over a week to see any improvement? His temp was higher this morning than a week ago.

A virus can definitely take over a week to see improvement, but sometimes with viruses they end up with a let’s say ear infection, so if he looks worse today may be worth to go back to the doc before shabbos to check his ears and make sure his lungs are clear.
Refuah sheleima
Back to top

amother




Gray
 

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 9:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He’s sneezing a lot and coughing from phlegm. A virus could take over a week to see any improvement? His temp was higher this morning than a week ago.


I'd go back to the doctor to check for RSV.
Back to top

amother




Crocus
 

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 9:45 am
My 16 month old had the same symptoms, and was coughing very badly. I was told this virus with bad congestion is going around. After a week it went away
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 8:37 am
So here we are, two weeks in. Originally it was an ear infection for which he took meds and it cleared up. But the low grade temperature is still there. Rectal temp still is around 100.5. Doc said under 101 is not to worry about but I can’t shake the worried feeling. He’s acting mostly fine though he’s not eating great (but he never does). Am I right for worrying or is this “normal”?
Back to top

freilich




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 8:44 am
I would have the dr do blood work. I would be concerned as well.
Back to top

amother




Pumpkin
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 8:47 am
I would be worried too.....if your worried your doctor should listen and not dismiss you. Sorry but that's unacceptable.
That being said my daughter had rsv a few weeks ago, the same age and it took ages to clear, she caught another virus right after so she was basically sick for around 3 weeks and finally it cleared.

Is your baby breathing okay? I'd he pulling in by the ribs?
Back to top

amother




Gray
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So here we are, two weeks in. Originally it was an ear infection for which he took meds and it cleared up. But the low grade temperature is still there. Rectal temp still is around 100.5. Doc said under 101 is not to worry about but I can’t shake the worried feeling. He’s acting mostly fine though he’s not eating great (but he never does). Am I right for worrying or is this “normal”?


Please go back to the doctor and insist on bloodwork and a chest xray. Good luck.
Back to top

amother




Cognac
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:42 am
amother [ Crocus ] wrote:
My 16 month old had the same symptoms, and was coughing very badly. I was told this virus with bad congestion is going around. After a week it went away

My 1 yr old had similar recently. She was sick for at least 2 weeks and then took another 2 weeks to fully get back to herself.
Back to top

amother




Blueberry
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:43 am
RSV is going around late this year because of the pandemic.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:05 am
I called again and doc said under 101 is normal and they don’t do blood work. Argh.

He already had rsv around two months ago.
Back to top

youngishbear




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I called again and doc said under 101 is normal and they don’t do blood work. Argh.

He already had rsv around two months ago.


If he won't do blood work on your insistence, can you find a different doctor?

I would be concerned, too.
Back to top

avrahamama




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:23 am
You can go to an urgent care like PM pediatrics and they will do blood work and chest x-ray on site for you.
Back to top

imagirl




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:37 am
Go to pm pediatrics or another pediatric urgent care. Something is going on
Back to top

clowny




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:54 am
Op, are you sure this is not his normal temperature? Because 100.5 rectally is really not considered a fever. Can you try taking his temperature underarm?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:56 am
clowny wrote:
Op, are you sure this is not his normal temperature? Because 100.5 rectally is really not considered a fever. Can you try taking his temperature underarm?


Other times I’ve taken it it’s been 99.7 as his baseline.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Iso low budget Monsey/Monroe bar mitzva photographer
by amother
5 Today at 10:20 am View last post
Protein powder/shake bars, low carb, low or non dairy
by amother
8 Thu, Jul 29 2021, 10:18 pm View last post
Entertaining in-laws during the week, what to do
by amother
2 Wed, Jul 28 2021, 8:25 am View last post
[ Poll ] How many hours a week do you work?
by amother
38 Tue, Jul 27 2021, 12:55 pm View last post
What protein bars taste good and are somewhat low cal?
by amother
6 Tue, Jul 27 2021, 12:25 pm View last post