Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Speech therapist paycheck rant!!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:31 am
I'm a speech therapist also, and I want to clarify a few things because I think I get where OP is coming from.

1. In some communities (the more RW/kollel type), therapy jobs are touted as the "be all and end all." We are told and brainwashed that it is the BEST job for a frum mommy. You get to work in a frum environment, make your own hours, be flexible, and make SUCH a high salary. And then we are rushed into starting the quickest and fastest (and usually $$$$ program). Obviously in retrospect, alot of this is inaccurate and unrealistic. But at the time, as a young 19 year old, it rarely entered my mind to explore other career options. On the rare occasions when I would bring up a different career that seemed interesting to me, I was shot down and told that I wouldn't want to do such a job as a frum mom

2. Then, we start working and find out that it is not all its cracked up to be. The hourly rate is low. Also to clarify, many agencies pay their therapists on a W2. But it is not a consistent salary and there is no guaranteed work from year to year. We do not get paid for days off of school (think half of June this year) or student absences. I would love to work in the summer, because I desperately need the income, but there is no (or minimal) work available.

3. For those who are saying 9-330 is part time- look, its not 9-5, but its also not 9-12. And remember that we are not taking lunch breaks (most 9-5 jobs do have a half hour lunch break). Personally, I work till 330, I work on Fridays, and I take on extra cases in the evenings (this year I had 5 evening cases) Its always shocking to me when I file my taxes how low my annual salary ends up being for so many hours of work (I don't think it was ever more than 50000 and often even less, and this is masters-level job)

4. The paperwork at home is a killer. I'm not saying we should get paid for this time, but it really drives alot of burn out. The amount we are expected to do just is not reasonable. You think I have my summer off? I'm actually spending a large part of my summer catching up on paperwork, because there simply isn't enough time during the school year. And the paperwork is stupid administrative stuff and nothing that really benefits the students or makes us better therapists. During the school year, we also need to spend an inordinate amount of time on session prep, and on parent contact. So while technically its part time, I am literally busy with it 24/6 during the school year. An office job often doesn't require any work at home after hours.

When I hear of girls considering speech, I always try to give them an honest picture of what it entails. I'm not trying to be negative or scare them off. I just think that the ONLY way you can be happy in this field is if you choose it because of passion for the job, and if you enjoy the nature of the work. It is a grueling job (it is utterly exhausting doing 8+ sessions back to back), the pay is low, and it is not family-friendly because of all the time at home that you have to do paperwork and can't focus on your family.

There are so many speech therapists in the same boat and I know alot of them. we should really have a support group. Were burned out, disillusioned, drowning under the paperwork, and not making ends meet (and often still paying back student loans). We thought we were being "good girls" when we were young and impressionable and easily brainwashed, and now were left holding the bag so to speak and struggling

And before anyone jumps on me and says "I hope you're not my kids therapist because you're so burned out" don't worry I do a very good job. The parents of the students I work with are all begging me to continue with them next year. Its just very very draining and takes slot.of mental energy to work at a job that isn't a good fit for my personality, strengths and interests

So I hope this clarified. its not that were spoiled and expect an amazing income for part time work. We're just honestly surprised because we were promised the moon with this career and then none of it pans out.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:36 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Please don’t feel like your degree is not worth it. A job is just hishtadlus for parnassah. Iyh you will gain more skill and get paid more one day

There really is no growth in the field. The agencies generally don't raise the hourly rate, and if they do its a minimal amount

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:38 am
There is no growth if you work for an agency. There is if you work elsewhere. You can't expect the perks of a salaried job and work part-time.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:43 am
Yes I hear some points and they are all valid. But where else would you make $40/hr and be able to work 9-3:30? You won’t be able to get that in an office (unless I am clueless). Consider your job as a great supplementary income one day. You can work part time and make a decent hourly rate while being flexible. Most office jobs require lots more hours and are not as flexible

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:47 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
There is no growth if you for an agency. There is if your work elsewhere. You can't expect the perks of a salaried position and work for a part-time one.

Right, I understand that. But that goes back to what I said in my long previous post. As young, impressionable, easily brainwashed 18 year olds we were told that this will be an "amazing high paying job in a frum school." I remember being told that I would make $70000 working in a yeshiva (by someone who is not a speech therapist). It really seemed like an awesome career.

If 18 year olds were told, speech therapy is a great career if you work in a hospital, nursing home etc, then I am sure many girls would not go into it.

We were brainwashed with precisely the opposite- that we would work in a school and have an amazing high income career

I personanlly hate medical settings and would not be able to tolerate working in a hospital/nursing home. But you know what's crazy? When I started college I didn't even KNOW that speech therapists work in medical settings!!

This brainwashing that speech therapy is an amazing job MUST stop. So many girls do it without even thinking if its the right job for their skills, strengths and interests

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:50 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Yes I hear some points and they are all valid. But where else would you make $40/hr and be able to work 9-3:30? You won’t be able to get that in an office (unless I am clueless). Consider your job as a great supplementary income one day. You can work part time and make a decent hourly rate while being flexible. Most office jobs require lots more hours and are not as flexible

The problem is that alot of the brainwashing about speech therapy happens in RW/kollel communities where the wife's income is the primary one and not the supplementary one. And then a couple of years later when we realize that we can't make it on a school/agency job, we're told to just switch to a hospital or rehab. But many of us are not cut out to be medical professionals and would not have chosen this career had we been honestly told that it is only lucrative in a medical setting

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:10 am
I dont know why speech therapists are always so shocked with their paycheck, especially after working part time. There is a misconception that speech therapist will be rich from working minimal hours. You make a decent amount per hour. Everyone pays taxes. If it's not enough, there are jobs in different settings that pay more, or work more hours.

I always can't help but think this too.

I am an OT and work full time hrs, 38 hrs a week and make a grand total of $55,000 a year. That's before all the deductions. And I am not complaining. If I worked in a setting where I would make more, there would be things that would not make it worthwhile for me.

I don't get this whole brainwashing thing/excuse. I grew up very yeshivish, RW, kollel oriented and OF COURSE I talked to many OTs before starting a program!! I needed to know what I was getting myself into. I needed to know realistically what my potential jobs would look like. Empower your daughters to make their own INFORMED big-girl, life decisions, ladies!!!

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:16 am
Btw, I just googled ZipRecruiter and in NJ, the average annual salary is 83K. They is working a 40 hour week, 12 months a year, about 25 days PTO for Yom Tov….(legal holidays are subtracted from my PTO). It’s about $44/hour, very little flexibility.

But seriously, where else are you going to make $40/hour doing part time work during the hours of your choice?

Oh-except for the threads about all the Sem graduates who have the office workers in BP and Lakewood .

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:19 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Right, I understand that. But that goes back to what I said in my long previous post. As young, impressionable, easily brainwashed 18 year olds we were told that this will be an "amazing high paying job in a frum school." I remember being told that I would make $70000 working in a yeshiva (by someone who is not a speech therapist). It really seemed like an awesome career.

If 18 year olds were told, speech therapy is a great career if you work in a hospital, nursing home etc, then I am sure many girls would not go into it.

We were brainwashed with precisely the opposite- that we would work in a school and have an amazing high income career

I personanlly hate medical settings and would not be able to tolerate working in a hospital/nursing home. But you know what's crazy? When I started college I didn't even KNOW that speech therapists work in medical settings!!

This brainwashing that speech therapy is an amazing job MUST stop. So many girls do it without even thinking if its the right job for their skills, strengths and interests

So at 19 girls are old enough to get married but not old enough to research their potential careers?

I'm surprised because if there are so many unhappy speech therapists, why don't girls hear about about it beforehand? Before people commit to a field they usually talk to people in that field to hear what they have to say. College is a big commitment...I would think someone would do a bit of research before blindly going into it and trusting the salary that someone who is not even in the field told them.

amother
Chestnut

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:22 am
Its funny, im an RN and I have the same gripe.
It's financially worth it to be an RN, but only if you are prepared to put in the grueling 40 hour workweek.
All that nonsense I was told about "there is sooooo much you can do with your degree, so many different fields, so much flexibility etc..."...yes, technically thats true. But only if you're prepared to make a lower salary. Plenty of super flexible options that are wonderful for mommyhood, but those arent bringing in the $$$ that everyone assumes RNs bring in

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:25 am
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
Its funny, im an RN and I have the same gripe.
It's financially worth it to be an RN, but only if you are prepared to put in the grueling 40 hour workweek.
All that nonsense I was told about "there is sooooo much you can do with your degree, so many different fields, so much flexibility etc..."...yes, technically thats true. But only if you're prepared to make a lower salary. Plenty of super flexible options that are wonderful for mommyhood, but those arent bringing in the $$$ that everyone assumes RNs bring in

So basically, people want to earn a full-time salary but only work part-time. Sounds nice, but not exactly realistic.

amother
Broom

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:28 am
Amother Ruby, liking your posts is not enough.

Sheltered girls who live in a bubble, and only know what they've been spoon fed, will easily believe anything they are told.

Same goes for marriage, BTW. Just because they reach a certain number of years, doesn't mean they have the life experience and maturity to make informed decisions.

It doesn't help that kollel husbands usually have no marketable job skills when they decide to look for work.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:29 am
Btw, my DD is going into -T. She is fully aware that the $ is not great, but she has worked with Yachad for many years and that community is her passion. She explored different jobs /careers one might have to work with that population and she feels -T is the the best fit and most meaningful to her. She also wants the flexibility and is willing to make the financial trade off.
As I stated above, I am an RDN, she sees what healthcare is like both my satisfaction and frustrations. She is going in with eyes wide open and I hope she maintains her passion and is happy with her choice for many many years to come.

Ladies- please know and tell your children. Healthcare can be wonderful and fulfilling. BUT it has it’s frustrations, challenges, tons of paperwork, and the pay is not what everyone expects.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:40 am
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
I always can't help but think this too.

I am an OT and work full time hrs, 38 hrs a week and make a grand total of $55,000 a year. That's before all the deductions. And I am not complaining. If I worked in a setting where I would make more, there would be things that would not make it worthwhile for me.

I don't get this whole brainwashing thing/excuse. I grew up very yeshivish, RW, kollel oriented and OF COURSE I talked to many OTs before starting a program!! I needed to know what I was getting myself into. I needed to know realistically what my potential jobs would look like. Empower your daughters to make their own INFORMED big-girl, life decisions, ladies!!!

Its great that you were encouraged to look into the field before going into it. Many of us were not. We were young and dumb and impressionable, with zero world experience and life skills, and no clue of how things really worked in the real workd

My kids are still young but I plan on doing things very very differently with them IYH. I will encourage them to take the time to fins the career that best suits them, and not one that is perceived to be "amazing for frum mommies (or daddies)"

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:41 am
So basically, people want to earn a full-time salary but only work part-time. Sounds nice, but not exactly realistic.

Honestly, for a skilled job such as OT or SLP, I don't see how this isn't realistic. If you are in an entry-level job doing the same thing as everyone else, then yes, you should expect to work full-time to make a decent salary. However, if you are doing skilled work that requires a tremendous investment of time and money into both college and continuing education, then why can't you expect to get paid more per hour and as a result, work less hours?

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:42 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Btw, my DD is going into -T. She is fully aware that the $ is not great, but she has worked with Yachad for many years and that community is her passion. She explored different jobs /careers one might have to work with that population and she feels -T is the the best fit and most meaningful to her. She also wants the flexibility and is willing to make the financial trade off.
As I stated above, I am an RDN, she sees what healthcare is like both my satisfaction and frustrations. She is going in with eyes wide open and I hope she maintains her passion and is happy with her choice for many many years to come.

Ladies- please know and tell your children. Healthcare can be wonderful and fulfilling. BUT it has it’s frustrations, challenges, tons of paperwork, and the pay is not what everyone expects.

She should definitely do OT if she is passinate about it. I think therapy is a great field for the right person.

Personally one of my children receives therapy from an amazingly passionate therapist who loves the field

The problem is when therapy is pushed as a great job for everyone, when really it requires a specific personality type and skill set that we don't all possess

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:44 am
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
Amother Ruby, liking your posts is not enough.

Sheltered girls who live in a bubble, and only know what they've been spoon fed, will easily believe anything they are told.

Same goes for marriage, BTW. Just because they reach a certain number of years, doesn't mean they have the life experience and maturity to make informed decisions.

It doesn't help that kollel husbands usually have no marketable job skills when they decide to look for work.

Thanks for the validation!

There is so much that is wrong with our system and just plain unfair to the girls

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:48 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Its great that you were encouraged to look into the field before going into it. Many of us were not. We were young and dumb and impressionable, with zero world experience and life skills, and no clue of how things really worked in the real workd

My kids are still young but I plan on doing things very very differently with them IYH. I will encourage them to take the time to fins the career that best suits them, and not one that is perceived to be "amazing for frum mommies (or daddies)"

Just to clarify- I was not encouraged at all by anyone. I recognized, on my own, that I was deciding what my LIFE would look like, and paying a ton of money for a college program, and dedicating a few years to get my degree, and then this would likely be IT. No going back and doing the whole college degree thing again. Or wasting my time and money on a degree I wouldn't use. It was a huge life decision, I didn't need anyone to tell me to figure it out first before just jumping in blindly.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:57 am
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
Just to clarify- I was not encouraged at all by anyone. I recognized, on my own, that I was deciding what my LIFE would look like, and paying a ton of money for a college program, and dedicating a few years to get my degree, and then this would likely be IT. No going back and doing the whole college degree thing again. Or wasting my time and money on a degree I wouldn't use. It was a huge life decision, I didn't need anyone to tell me to figure it out first before just jumping in blindly.

Thats great that you had that insight and maturity. But not everyone does.

And it still doesn't excuse the parents who brainwash their daughters into getting therapy degrees. When they are not even therapists themselves and have no idea what it entails. For some reason there is this huge widespread misconception that therapists are making a ton of money working in a school and are very rich. In the school I work in, I get comments all the time from teachers about my billing and how much I get to bill. I know for a fact that there are teachers in my school who make significantly more than I do

amother
Broom

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 12:04 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Thanks for the validation!

There is so much that is wrong with our system and just plain unfair to the girls

For what it's worth, I don't think it's fair to the boys, either. The whole system is broken from the ground up.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics