Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Speech therapist paycheck rant!!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:13 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Honestly, for a skilled job such as OT or SLP, I don't see how this isn't realistic. If you are in an entry-level job doing the same thing as everyone else, then yes, you should expect to work full-time to make a decent salary. However, if you are doing skilled work that requires a tremendous investment of time and money into both college and continuing education, then why can't you expect to get paid more per hour and as a result, work less hours?

You ARE getting paid more. Significantly more than lets say, the cashier at Wal Mart. $4,000 a month for part time work is still a very nice salary. It's just not as much as you would make working FULL TIME, with the same degree and skill set. Consider, as well, that people who work full time WITH the right degree are investing much more time and effort into building their career.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:19 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Btw, my DD is going into [b]-T./b] She is fully aware that the $ is not great, but she has worked with Yachad for many years and that community is her passion. She explored different jobs /careers one might have to work with that population and she feels -T is the the best fit and most meaningful to her. She also wants the flexibility and is willing to make the financial trade off.
As I stated above, I am an RDN, she sees what healthcare is like both my satisfaction and frustrations. She is going in with eyes wide open and I hope she maintains her passion and is happy with her choice for many many years to come.

Ladies- please know and tell your children. Healthcare can be wonderful and fulfilling. BUT it has it’s frustrations, challenges, tons of paperwork, and the pay is not what everyone expects.

What is -T?

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:21 am
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
You ARE getting paid more. Significantly more than lets say, the cashier at Wal Mart. $4,000 a month for part time work is still a very nice salary. It's just not as much as you would make working FULL TIME, with the same degree and skill set. Consider, as well, that people who work full time WITH the right degree are investing much more time and effort into building their career.

Well said.

How much do you expect to get paid working 5-6 hours a day, 4 days a week, off for yom tov and other vacations throughout the year, beginning mid September and ending mid June? You do make a decent amount per hour, its just that you don't work enough hours to get the amount of money you want. But you do have an amazing schedule and flexibility. It's a trade-off. You have to choose which is more important to you.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:46 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
What is -T?

As in blank Therapy, it is her not me and I was not willing to disclose which Therapy. Her life is not mine to share.

honey36

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:47 am
Disclaimer, I live oot, so maybe that's why I have such a different experience. But, I am a slp and love it for all the reasons ppl are saying. Its flexible hours, you make a decent amount per hour etc. I don't think it's hard work. After doing it for 7 years, I've basically covered all the prep I need and most cases are no brainers by now besides a couple more complicated kids per year. Yes there paper work but not a crazy amount.
I work for an agency at an hourly rate so I don't get paid if kids are absent, but I can usually juggle it so I can see a different kid during that slot. Or I can do some paperwork or phone calls.
I love working with kids and seeing the progress they make. This helps avoid burn out.
No, I don't make a tun of money, but didn't expect to since I work so part time and I'm happy with that. My husband has a much more demanding job so it wouldn't work for me anyways.
Isn't there any other slp's on this sight who actually like it or am I the only one?

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:49 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Well said.

How much do you expect to get paid working 5-6 hours a day, 4 days a week, off for yom tov and other vacations throughout the year, beginning mid September and ending mid June? You do make a decent amount per hour, its just that you don't work enough hours to get the amount of money you want. But you do have an amazing schedule and flexibility. It's a trade-off. You have to choose which is more important to you.

I keep repeating myself but I will say it again

Everything you write is 100% correct -BUT-

THAT IS NOT WHAT WE WERE BRAINWASHED

We were told that speech therapy would offer us an amazing flexible part time job with a fabulous salary

Obviously that is not true or realistic. But as young and dumb and easily impressionable 19 year olds we didnt know better so we signed up for the programs and took out boatloads of student loans. And then were a couple of years in and we realize we can't make a living off this

Then were told so go work in a hospital/ rehab. But alot of us really don't have the personality or skills to be medical professionals. So its not simple to switch. Or were told, so just go back to school for another degree. I can't afford another round of student loans!!

And as far as summers off I don't WANT summers off. Its not "amazing" at all to not be able to pay my bills. I can't afford it. I need to pay rent, health insurance, tuition etc etc etc. But there is no work available in the summer. And I have no other skills so I can't find some temp job for 2 months somewhere else

amother
Chestnut

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:53 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
So basically, people want to earn a full-time salary but only work part-time. Sounds nice, but not exactly realistic.

Kind of my point, but not exactly.
As an RN, ive realized that all the reasons for going into nursing, for a frum mother, (namely, the many many fields and options, the flexibility, the do whatever you want, whatever hours you want, etc etc) are really only options if you're fine with working part time.
If you arent ok with working less hours, because you want to bring in $, then all the hype about nursing being such a flexible career for a frum mommy is out the window. Its rigorous, hard hours, and NOT super flexible with kids.
But what sold me into this profession was how its amazing for a frum mommy.
I find myself being so jealous of therapists and teachers lol.
But then they go and start threads like this....dunno

amother
Chambray

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:53 am
It's very rare to work part time for a nice full time salary. That's just not realistic. To the person saying "but they're highly skilled, they have a masters." Most people (in the regular world) who make a good salary have higher education. Most have a masters. It's not like going to med school. Salaries are commensurate with skills and education. The fact that female-dominated fields like education and nursing have lower salaries and are valued less than male dominated fields is a separate but related issue. If you do work part time, with lots of days off and summers off and make a big salary, that's great. But it's not a realistic expectation for everyone.

honey36

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:55 am
Amother ruby- have you tried working for a special needs day camp or something in the summer? They usually need therapists I think.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:09 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

We were told that speech therapy would offer us an amazing flexible part time job with a fabulous salary

Obviously that is not true or realistic. But as young and dumb and easily impressionable 19 year olds we didnt know better so we signed up for the programs and took out boatloads of student loans. And then were a couple of years in and we realize we can't make a living off this

Then were told so go work in a hospital/ rehab. But alot of us really don't have the personality or skills to be medical professionals. So its not simple to switch. Or were told, so just go back to school for another degree. I can't afford another round of student loans!!

And as far as summers off I don't WANT summers off. Its not "amazing" at all to not be able to pay my bills. I can't afford it. I need to pay rent, health insurance, tuition etc etc etc. But there is no work available in the summer. And I have no other skills so I can't find some temp job for 2 months somewhere else

Did you research the field before you went into it? Speak with other therapists? Look into the pay? Were you brainwashed or just didn't do the research? I can't imagine you were that clueless that you couldn't do some research if you had the mental ability to go to college and get an advanced degree.

There are summer jobs available in special Ed schools usually. Usually a non-frum setting with set hours. Have you looked into that? Sometimes more of the non-frum agencies also have hours available in public school settings. Also, maybe you can do EI over the summer? Or take a temp job in a rehab even if that's not your preferred placement, if you really need the money.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:33 am
I work full time in a nonprofit office. I make about 3300 per month after taxes. If I had to pay a babysitter it wouldn't be worth it. Does that make you feel better OP?

amother
Blueberry

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:19 am
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
For what it's worth, I don't think it's fair to the boys, either. The whole system is broken from the ground up.

Oh yes, you need to say that again and again.

We encourage our kids to marry early. We assure them that they have time to work out financial stability later on. We encourage our boys to stay in learning for x number of years. We brainwash our girls to either work on these quick, grab on the fly degrees, or choose one of these 'safe' fields.

At the very same time, we encourage them to have large families. We expect them to pay thousands upon thousand in tuition, and then we have the expectation that they will marry off their children and support the next generation for x numbers of years.

I don't know in which reality that makes sense, but it doesn't make sense in the reality of Hashem's world.

mommy100

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:23 am
Hi I am a fairly new SLP I found it took me three years to figure out what population / setting I want to work in and be happy with it. I love the fact that I can set my own hours and days, and when I need another day off I can usually rework my schedule to accommodate it.
For those saying there is no work in the summer I found EI to be a great summer option in NY when school based isn’t available

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:34 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

This is absolutely ridiculous. I am sorry you feel like you were brainwashed but you have no one to blame but yourself. I know this sounds harsh. You were smart enough to go through school and obtain both an undergraduate degree and a graduate degree. You were smart enough to figure out how to make tuition payments for each term. You went in with your eyes wide open. You had plenty of time to reconsider. You had plenty of opportunity to understand who the primary patient population would be. I am an OT. We did five fieldwork rotations. We had plenty of time to speak to other professionals in the field. I also went through six years of school for this. My classmates and I felt fortunate to be accepted to our program and I feel only gratitude that I was able to attain a higher level of education than most people around the world. Saying you were brainwashed is a convenient way to displace your own responsibility for choosing a career that may not be the best fit for you.

amother
Blueberry

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:40 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
This is absolutely ridiculous. I am sorry you feel like you were brainwashed but you have no one to blame but yourself. I know this sounds harsh. You were smart enough to go through school and obtain both an undergraduate degree and a graduate degree. You were smart enough to figure out how to make tuition payments for each term. You went in with your eyes wide open. You had plenty of time to reconsider. You had plenty of opportunity to understand who the primary patient population would be. I am an OT. We did five fieldwork rotations. We had plenty of time to speak to other professionals in the field. I also went through six years of school for this. My classmates and I felt fortunate to be accepted to our program and I feel only gratitude that I was able to attain a higher level of education than most people around the world. Saying you were brainwashed is a convenient way to displace your own responsibility for choosing a career that may not be the best fit for you.

You very likely are both right. The difference in opinion is probably related to the community and/or environment that you grew up in. There are some communities which encourage the children to do self introspection and plan ahead in life, and there are other communities who have every stage spelled out for their kids, with limited options available in every stage. They explain these options in only a positive light, and never give the other side over to the other kids. Because that may make the kids hesitant in choosing any of the accepted options. So they sugar coat every step of the way, until the child has successfully navigated all the steps. The problem is reality eventually hits, but at that point it's almost impossible to backtrack.

Kids who were raised in the latter environment can't be faulted for the problems that arise later. With all the brainwashing and sugar coating in process, it's extremely difficult to see the other side. They don't experience any of the consequences until after the fact. What should make them come to the realization that their parents and authority figures are not giving them the whole picture.?

Oh, and don't forget shidduchim! If you don't walk the line, you'll be considered second best.

amother
Seablue

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:49 am
I’m a speech therapist. I make 73 an hour before taxes. Work around 24 hours a week. Depending on the month my paycheck is around 4500-5k net.
I don’t know where you work. I work in a school. I’m in extremely high demand. I get calls every day to take more hours and therefore was able to get a pay raise. Yes a raise is only every 2/3 years and a dollar an hour. But as a mom with a house full of kids and a person who loves flexibility. This is the best job. I’d I can’t come in one day it’s ok. I don’t have to let anyone know it just comes off my paycheck. I have no boss to give me slack when I want to go to my child’s performance, have a sick kid and when I need a day off. It’s an amazing job and pay for a mom. It is also my choice to work in the summer. There are pros and cons to every job but a realist mom knows there are times you can’t come in and times where there will be less money but the benefits outweigh the negatives.

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:51 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

I just dont think you get it. It's not at all like this in certain circles. Even if they go for a degree, there is none of what you described.

Though I have to say I'm surprised. Many of the RW girls I know are not encouraged to go for a degree at all.

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:51 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

Thank you for saying this. Can't agree enough.

amother
Snowflake

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 11:54 am
OP, I feel very sorry for you. You went through all that schooling. You invested so much time, effort and money into your career. You don't work full-time, but are working a lot of hours and have long commute. I understand that you feel upset about your paycheck and validate your feelings. You should be making more than someone working full-time in an office with no degree.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 12:38 pm
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
Kind of my point, but not exactly.
As an RN, ive realized that all the reasons for going into nursing, for a frum mother, (namely, the many many fields and options, the flexibility, the do whatever you want, whatever hours you want, etc etc) are really only options if you're fine with working part time.
If you arent ok with working less hours, because you want to bring in $, then all the hype about nursing being such a flexible career for a frum mommy is out the window. Its rigorous, hard hours, and NOT super flexible with kids.
But what sold me into this profession was how its amazing for a frum mommy.
I find myself being so jealous of therapists and teachers lol.
But then they go and start threads like this....dunno

Omg nursing is not comparable. 1.You can work nights and sundays and MS in the winter. Lots of flexibility. 2. The pay sounds way better than slp. 3 this is for a bachelor's so way less loans. If you get your masters your making well past 6 figures.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics