Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Speech therapist paycheck rant!!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 3:40 pm
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
I just dont think you get it. It's not at all like this in certain circles. Even if they go for a degree, there is none of what you described.

Though I have to say I'm surprised. Many of the RW girls I know are not encouraged to go for a degree at all.

I am a Bais Yaakov graduate. I went to a very yeshivish seminary. I started my degree at 19 along with all of my friends. I am more than familiar with these circles. I still think it is ridiculous to insist that you went through an entire education without knowing what you were getting into. Maybe you allowed yourself to be convinced this was a road to an easy life with amazing pay. Maybe you brainwashed yourself because it was too hard or complicated to consider other options. No matter how yeshivish you are, you can’t just magically become a therapist without going to college, doing an internship and learning about the job. If you allowed yourself to passively get through your education then I’m sorry but still your choice.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 3:49 pm
I think a big issue is that it's HARD to juggle home and job and kids. Doesnt matter how much research you do, how many hours you work. It's HARD. and everyone looks at you like what's the big deal? You're only working 5 hours. Your kids are in school/childcare. You have Fridays off. What's the big deal?

amother
Moccasin

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 3:51 pm
brainwashing works

I’ve been brainwashed in quite a few areas when I was younger so I can understand that

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 4:16 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I am a Bais Yaakov graduate. I went to a very yeshivish seminary. I started my degree at 19 along with all of my friends. I am more than familiar with these circles. I still think it is ridiculous to insist that you went through an entire education without knowing what you were getting into. Maybe you allowed yourself to be convinced this was a road to an easy life with amazing pay. Maybe you brainwashed yourself because it was too hard or complicated to consider other options. No matter how yeshivish you are, you can’t just magically become a therapist without going to college, doing an internship and learning about the job. If you allowed yourself to passively get through your education then I’m sorry but still your choice.

You're not responding to me because I personally got my degree the hard way. I'm talking about what I see in certain circles, and if "all your friends were getting degrees at 19" then no, we are not talking about the same circles. Believe it or not.

I briefly registered for one of these "degrees" and pulled out (and lost my deposit) when I realized how it would be structured. So I saw the difference.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 4:18 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

Maybe the problem with the super speedy frum degree factories is that it doesn’t give you a chance to stop and assess if the field is right for you. And there is pressure to finish quickly so you can get a shidduch.

amother
Tulip

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 5:06 pm
Hm. I went through the same speed SLP pipeline and knew right away that I hated it. Pushed myself anyway because that's what frum ladies do. Also struggling with balancing home and job, burnout and not making enough. And yes, I am a good therapist.
If I had had the luxury of time to sit and figure out what career or setting would be a good fit, I would have gone for a PhD and become an academic. But what would my rapidly growing family have lived on for all those years of study?

amother
Caramel

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 5:25 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Maybe the problem with the super speedy frum degree factories is that it doesn’t give you a chance to stop and assess if the field is right for you. And there is pressure to finish quickly so you can get a shidduch.

And obviously, the degrees from the frum degree factories are not highly regarded, to say the least.

I thought it was great that it took me less than 3 months to complete my BA. Didn’t realize that it was a worthless BA.

amother
Caramel

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 5:27 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

Cyan, there is RW and there is RW RW. It’s obvious that you are the former and not familiar with the latter.

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 5:29 pm
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
Cyan, there is RW and there is RW RW. It’s obvious that you are the former and not familiar with the latter.

Ok wow just because someone is uber-yeshivish doesn't make them a person who can't make their own informed life decisions.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 5:30 pm
It’s a know fact that masters degrees will not make you rich. If you do well in business or real estate you can make much more. Having a masters will make you educated and give you a baseline of a decent salary.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 5:38 pm
thx for the chiuzk.
technically I get 60$ an hour, but I work 9-3:30 with a 30 min break bc I cant work 6 straight hours

I know im considered PT, but im just shocked at how little speech makes. I was told before I started, how much money id make, how flexible it is.
bh its great in that if my baby isnt feeling good, and I dont go to work, im not penalized for missing a day and I dont answer to a/o.

im a cf and I cant work for another agency so doing EI in summer isnt an option. I also dont get health insurance and soon ill be making too much to qualify for medicaid.

there is nowhere to work closer to my house. the commute is an hour

just venting. oh well. we barely have enough at the end of the month

and starting next school year ill have to use like 650$ of my paycheck for the babysitter :/

I work in a yeshiva.
I wanted to work in a SNF but I was pregnant at the start of my cfy/covid and I was too nervous to be in peoples faces all day + hard to find a CFY in a SNF or hospital setting.

all of september is YT so im not getting a paycheck then either

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 5:50 pm
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
And obviously, the degrees from the frum degree factories are not highly regarded, to say the least.

I thought it was great that it took me less than 3 months to complete my BA. Didn’t realize that it was a worthless BA.

All BA's are the same, no worries.

Just curious, which job do you think a BA in Judaic Studies prepares you for? It's a great degree for a specific purpose, and it's real. It's definitely a real degree.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 5:57 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

Interested in hearing why I was hugged for this?

bluemom

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 6:07 pm
I'm an SLP and make $80 an hr. working a few mornings a week. The paperwork is done in school and I am paid for it. I don't love the work but still think that there are very few jobs that have that kind of flexibility while making a decent amount per hour.

amother
Blueberry

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 6:28 pm
All BA's are the same, no worries.

Just curious, which job do you think a BA in Judaic Studies prepares you for? It's a great degree for a specific purpose, and it's real. It's definitely a real degree.

All BA's are not the same. There is no comparison between a rushed few months degree versus the regular 4 year one.

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 6:29 pm
amother [ Blueberry ] wrote:
All BA's are not the same. There is no comparison between a rushed few months degree versus the regular 4 year one.

Practically, the difference is?

I did a regular four year degree but I don't see a practical difference once I'm in the workforce. Personal enrichment - yes, business value - not really.

amother
Blueberry

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 6:35 pm
Practically, the difference is?

I did a regular four year degree but I don't see a practical difference once I'm in the workforce. Personal enrichment - yes, business value - not really.

It probably varies per field, but the underlying understanding and foundational knowledge makes a difference how and why you operate in a certain field. You gain insights, understanding and techniques that would have taken years of experience to gain. Being taught techniques and following along with superficial training doesn't give one keen insight to excel in a field.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 6:38 pm
bluemom wrote:
I'm an SLP and make $80 an hr. working a few mornings a week. The paperwork is done in school and I am paid for it. I don't love the work but still think that there are very few jobs that have that kind of flexibility while making a decent amount per hour.

in ny?

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 6:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
im a speech therapist.
I work PT, 9-3:30
M-th bh so I get my fridays off

I cant believe my paycheck at the end of the month was 3000 bc I was taxed 1000

I know I dont work FT bc im not there till 5 but I really make so little
speech is the worst!

I want to be home to see my baby, and when I have more kids I dont want to miss their childhood by working till 5 and coming home at 6:15 (long commute). I guess I have to accept my job doesnt make any money!

Just trying to understand, so pre tax you're making 48K?

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 6:40 pm
amother [ Blueberry ] wrote:
It probably varies per field, but the underlying understanding and foundational knowledge makes a difference how and why you operate in a certain field. You gain insights, understanding and techniques that would have taken years of experience to gain. Being taught techniques and following along with superficial training doesn't give one keen insight to excel in a field.

This is not what happens in a typical four year college program.

In any case, it is quite obvious that a BA in Judaic studies is not the same degree as a BSN in nursing, or a BS in engineering.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics