Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Speech therapist paycheck rant!!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 6:41 pm
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
Ok wow just because someone is uber-yeshivish doesn't make them a person who can't make their own informed life decisions.

Yes, thank you for putting into words what I was trying to convey. There are plenty of very yeshivish girls who know how to weigh their options, especially when making financially significant decisions. Community isn’t to blame for this.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 6:42 pm
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
Just trying to understand, so pre tax you're making 48K?

no idea
I just started working in sep

amother
Blueberry

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 7:07 pm
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
This is not what happens in a typical four year college program.

In any case, it is quite obvious that a BA in Judaic studies is not the same degree as a BSN in nursing, or a BS in engineering.

It sure does. I'm just finishing up my four year college program. The insights, hands-on training, and guidance was amazing.

mommy100

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 7:30 pm
Since you are a cf your salary is lower then what it will eventually be and yeah you are limited in work I worked longer hours just to complete my cf faster and be able to do more things with my degree. This year I worked part time in a school took some ei cases and did some rsa in the evening which all pay more then the $60

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 8:02 pm
All BA's are the same, no worries.

Just curious, which job do you think a BA in Judaic Studies prepares you for? It's a great degree for a specific purpose, and it's real. It's definitely a real degree.

A 3 month degree which should take 4 years? That’s a ridiculous joke.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 10:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thx for the chiuzk.
technically I get 60$ an hour, but I work 9-3:30 with a 30 min break bc I cant work 6 straight hours

I know im considered PT, but im just shocked at how little speech makes. I was told before I started, how much money id make, how flexible it is.
bh its great in that if my baby isnt feeling good, and I dont go to work, im not penalized for missing a day and I dont answer to a/o.

im a cf and I cant work for another agency so doing EI in summer isnt an option. I also dont get health insurance and soon ill be making too much to qualify for medicaid.

there is nowhere to work closer to my house. the commute is an hour

just venting. oh well. we barely have enough at the end of the month

and starting next school year ill have to use like 650$ of my paycheck for the babysitter :/

I work in a yeshiva.
I wanted to work in a SNF but I was pregnant at the start of my cfy/covid and I was too nervous to be in peoples faces all day + hard to find a CFY in a SNF or hospital setting.

all of september is YT so im not getting a paycheck then either

I do seit.
If you work 6 hours a day x 4 days x 60 am hour, you should make over 4000... It all depends on the month, if yom tovs and if you take off often.
I have BH supported a family working a similar # if hours a week as a seit....
Yes, sept and April u dont make much. You have to save accordingly

amother
Caramel

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 11:21 pm
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
Ok wow just because someone is uber-yeshivish doesn't make them a person who can't make their own informed life decisions.

In many cases, yes it does. Sorry

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 11:41 pm
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
In many cases, yes it does. Sorry

What an insult to very yeshivish girls everywhere. If someone makes poor life choices, it is more likely coming from personality than frumkeit. Sorry.

amother
Caramel

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 11:50 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
What an insult to very yeshivish girls everywhere. If someone makes poor life choices, it is more likely coming from personality than frumkeit. Sorry.

I’m not insulting your intelligence lol.

Fact is that very sheltered girls often have less exposure to career options, have very limited “acceptable” career options, and are often strongly encouraged to pursue options that may not be a good fit for them, because.... it’s good for the shidduch resume.

It isn’t uncommon at all for a girl to be rushed from seminary to a degree factory without any time to think.

amother
Moccasin

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 11:51 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

It might be neither one of the above but rather due to brainwashing like a poster had mentioned-
Also, if you’re raised a certain way it’s hard to think for yourself

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 12:11 am
I work as a seit. Although the yearly salary may not seem so high, I take into account that I don't need to pay for childcare in the weeks between camp and school, when they get off before pesach, during chanukah vacation, when they get out early bec of a fast day and so forth bec our schedules usually match up (aside from a random day once in a while). I also don't have to pay to have someone take my kids off the bus like I would if I worked 9-5, or to put them on the bus, depending on travel time. From year to year I can change my hours to be home in time for the first bus dropoff/leave after the last pickup. When I add up that expensive, it does make the salary look a little better...

amother
Wallflower

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 12:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
no idea
I just started working in sep

This is your first job with no prior experience?

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 12:20 am
I’m not insulting your intelligence lol.

Fact is that very sheltered girls often have less exposure to career options, have very limited “acceptable” career options, and are often strongly encouraged to pursue options that may not be a good fit for them, because.... it’s good for the shidduch resume.

It isn’t uncommon at all for a girl to be rushed from seminary to a degree factory without any time to think.

Oh, I don’t have skin in the game. I’m not yeshivish. I come from a BY background and have many friends and relatives who are quite yeshivish but this is not a personal matter for me. I just think it’s a cop-out to say you were brainwashed all through 4+ years of education.

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 12:57 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Oh, I don’t have skin in the game. I’m not yeshivish. I come from a BY background and have many friends and relatives who are quite yeshivish but this is not a personal matter for me. I just think it’s a cop-out to say you were brainwashed all through 4+ years of education.

It’s a lot more nuanced than that.

I wouldn’t say I was brainwashed, however I was in a “system,” in which you follow a certain path. You aren’t informed about the financial realities of life, you are pressured to choose a career without actually understanding what it’s all about, and you have about 5 career choices. You are trained to follow the “system,” and wouldn’t think of being different. Thinking independently often doesn’t “kick in” until later on and at that point it’s often too late.

I’m not sure how you can be dismissive of other people’s experiences when you haven’t actually lived it yourself.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 1:03 am
It’s a lot more nuanced than that.

I wouldn’t say I was brainwashed, however I was in a “system,” in which you follow a certain path. You aren’t informed about the financial realities of life, you are pressured to choose a career without actually understanding what it’s all about, and you have about 5 career choices. You are trained to follow the “system,” and wouldn’t think of being different. Thinking independently often doesn’t “kick in” until later on and at that point it’s often too late.

I’m not sure how you can be dismissive of other people’s experiences when you haven’t actually lived it yourself.

This is so true. Especially when you are talking 18/19 year olds, who are under a lot of pressure to have everything figured out ASAP. Even though there are issues on the boys' side of things, they don't have this sort of pressure at such a young age.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 1:23 am
You ARE getting paid more. Significantly more than lets say, the cashier at Wal Mart. $4,000 a month for part time work is still a very nice salary. It's just not as much as you would make working FULL TIME, with the same degree and skill set. Consider, as well, that people who work full time WITH the right degree are investing much more time and effort into building their career.

Did the cashier at Walmart put in the amount of work in a masters and internship as SLP’s did????

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 1:27 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Did the cashier at Walmart put in the amount of work in a masters and internship as SLP’s did????

The cashier at Wal-Mart is likely making minimum wage. (A part time job as a cashier there would place someone far below the poverty line.) Op may not be raking in the big bucks but there is no comparison. She is making far ABOVE minimum wage.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 2:00 am
amother [ Wallflower ] wrote:
This is your first job with no prior experience?

I have extensive experience providing therapy in acute rehab facilities/SNFs.
I also taught up until graduate school and have experience with children.

My paycheck does not reflect the 6 years I spent in school studying neuroscience, cognition, language etc.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 2:02 am
amother [ Candycane ] wrote:
I work as a seit. Although the yearly salary may not seem so high, I take into account that I don't need to pay for childcare in the weeks between camp and school, when they get off before pesach, during chanukah vacation, when they get out early bec of a fast day and so forth bec our schedules usually match up (aside from a random day once in a while). I also don't have to pay to have someone take my kids off the bus like I would if I worked 9-5, or to put them on the bus, depending on travel time. From year to year I can change my hours to be home in time for the first bus dropoff/leave after the last pickup. When I add up that expensive, it does make the salary look a little better...

most babysitters in my area still charge for YT months even if there are like 4 days of work. Its crazy

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 2:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thx for the chiuzk.
technically I get 60$ an hour, but I work 9-3:30 with a 30 min break bc I cant work 6 straight hours

Something's not adding up. This should be way more than 4k gross.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics