Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Trampling Torah in the 9 Days / #MyUnorthodoxLife spinoff
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 8:53 am
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
Orthodox Jews abuse Orthodox Jews all the time, but we’re more afraid of what the non Jews or not religious Jews will think.

The focus needs to be on correcting actual wrongs not perceptions we are worried about.

This

The best thing we can all do is living a true life and not sweeping things under the rug but trying to do better (and yes we all have our things that we prefer not to look at)

When everyone was yelling about unorthodox I did not understand because so much of that movie rang true to my own experience.

So the quote above from sandy brown speaks to me.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 10:36 am
SuperWify wrote:
Oh come on. She’s publicly shaming our community. We are allowed to take a stand. We don’t need to stay silent on this and console ourselves by misusing religion and excusing her behavior by saying- “it’s lashon hara” and “love each Jew.”. Blah blah blah…

I thought that focusing on loving every Jew is a big theme of the 9 days. At least that’s what my kids are learning in camp.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 10:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sorry but I don't understand your comment. "Proof to back your claims?" Sure there's proof. Hundreds of thousands of decent, principled Jewish families living Torah lives who are in a class by themselves when it comes to honesty, modesty and generosity.

So share documentaries about their lives.

Otherwise it's just a "he said, she said" arguement.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

essie14

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:04 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
So share documentaries about their lives.

Otherwise it's just a "he said, she said" arguement.

Believe me, no one is interested in a documentary about my life a wife and mother, even though I have a somewhat less conventional job than most Orthodox moms.

Anne Neuberger would be a great subject, although I highly doubt she will ever allow that.

There is a fabulous movie made about Ruchie Freier which I loved.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:04 am
Their lives aren't clickbait for reality shows because they're normal, low key and consistent. TV demands drama. By the way, I can give you the phone number of the Rav who's talmid had the broken engagement following his "deprogramming." #suredidhappen

Frumme

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Their lives aren't clickbait for reality shows because they're normal, low key and consistent. TV demands drama. By the way, I can give you the phone number of the Rav who's talmid had the broken engagement following his "deprogramming." #suredidhappen

Sure, what's the number?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:30 am
Got the number - pm'ing you.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:32 am
I don’t understand the premise of your post. Is your issue with the show in general, or just that it is first airing during the 9 days? Your title makes it seem like a 9 days issue, but your post sounds like you have an issue with the show in general, no matter when it will first air.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:39 am
It's both. It's that our community can be so easily thrown under the bus in the rush for ratings - and that it's airing at a time when Jews are supposed to love one another. Ms. Haart and her gang are fomenting hate.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Just last week I heard about a boy who's been in a serious BT yeshiva in Jerusalem for three years, got engaged and went to visit his folks in the tri-state area. He was met by a cult "deprogrammer", locked in his house for three days and they took away his phone. After three days he called his kallah to tell her that everything he'd been taught in Israel was a lie (Hashem yishmor) and that she should also question everything taught to her very deeply. The engagement is off.

So for anyone who's for ignoring all this and not making waves - I put it to you that shows like this are culpable and we need to stand up to them.

So did anyone report this crime to the police? What you're describing is kidnapping.

Separately, I understand why people would feel an impulse to refute the show, and I'm not saying you shouldn't, but just be aware that every time you start a thread (or bump a thread by responding) you are giving them free publicity. Entertainment thrives on publicity, including negative publicity. I personally didn't know anything about this show until I read about it here (although I'm sure it would've eventually popped up on my Netflix).

I don't personally give this show as much weight as you do. Anti semitic people hate Jews because they hate Jews. Not because they believe their women are oppressed (I assure you they couldn't care less about the plight of Jewish women). I also don't think most people give reality shows too much weight. Those are the kind of shows people have on in the background without even paying attention. It's generally trash TV, not big production riveting drama, although I'll wait until it comes out to cast judgment. I expect the quality to be no greater than the obviously contrived drama of any Real Housewives show.

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:13 pm
WhatFor wrote:
So did anyone report this crime to the police? What you're describing is kidnapping.

Separately, I understand why people would feel an impulse to refute the show, and I'm not saying you shouldn't, but just be aware that every time you start a thread (or bump a thread by responding) you are giving them free publicity. Entertainment thrives on publicity, including negative publicity. I personally didn't know anything about this show until I read about it here (although I'm sure it would've eventually popped up on my Netflix).

I don't personally give this show as much weight as you do. Anti semitic people hate Jews because they hate Jews. Not because they believe their women are oppressed (I assure you they couldn't care less about the plight of Jewish women). I also don't think most people give reality shows too much weight. Those are the kind of shows people have on in the background without even paying attention. It's generally trash TV, not big production riveting drama, although I'll wait until it comes out to cast judgment. I expect the quality to be no greater than the obviously contrived drama of any Real Housewives show.

Coming on the heels of Unorthodox, I can see this show having real-world ramifications.

According to reviews, the series depicts lots of harassment of her son-in-law for wanting to stick with religion, and put-downs and mockery of Judaism as the constant theme throughout.

I can see the portrayal of Orthodox Jews as primitive and strange having an affect in custody battles, employment opportunities, and causing non-religion Jews to be very turned off from Orthodoxy.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:16 pm
Exactly this. Yup.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:28 pm
essie14 wrote:
Believe me, no one is interested in a documentary about my life a wife and mother, even though I have a somewhat less conventional job than most Orthodox moms.

Anne Neuberger would be a great subject, although I highly doubt she will ever allow that.

There is a fabulous movie made about Ruchie Freier which I loved.

Good point, I also love the movie about Ruchie Frier, I think it was called 675 Queen?

essie14

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:40 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Good point, I also love the movie about Ruchie Frier, I think it was called 675 Queen?

93 queen
https://www.93queen.com/

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:43 pm
WhatFor wrote:

Agree 100%.

For any Father Ted fans - this reminds me of the Down With This Sort of Thing ineffective protest episode. Smile

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's both. It's that our community can be so easily thrown under the bus in the rush for ratings - and that it's airing at a time when Jews are supposed to love one another. Ms. Haart and her gang are fomenting hate.

I don’t think it was her choice when to air this, and I really don’t think the Netflix team chose this week to begin airing it because of the 9 days.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:53 pm
Of course it's not her choice when this aired, and the Netflix crew presumably have no clue either. Hashem runs the world. Hashem decided it would air this week. Our reaction to that is for each of us to examine.

chestnut

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 1:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Better he got "deprogrammed" now than if they were already married, with kids.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 1:41 pm
Thank you OP for speaking the truth.
It is unfortunate to see how many people have become misguided under the guise of "ahavas yisroel". It's time to stand up for Hashem and his Torah. I've gotten torn down far too many times on this site for sticking up for the Torah.
fmt4 wrote:

Relax, people. You’re not Pinchas. 🙄

This is so disturbing. We are not Pinchas??? We can be and we should be!!!!!!
In this case I do not know that the way to go about it is to protest the series publicly or whatever other suggestions there were, However, we need to make sure that within our hearts and our communities, we don't let this in and we defend the torah.
I think I should also create a spinoff of what ahavas Yisroel means. It's upsetting to see how misguided people are.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 1:47 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Thank you OP for speaking the truth.
It is unfortunate to see how many people have become misguided under the guise of "ahavas yisroel". It's time to stand up for Hashem and his Torah. I've gotten torn down far too many times on this site for sticking up for the Torah.
This is so disturbing. We are not Pinchas??? We can be and we should be!!!!!!
In this case I do not know that the way to go about it is to protest the series publicly or whatever other suggestions there were, However, we need to make sure that within our hearts and our communities, we don't let this in and we defend the torah.
I think I should also create a spinoff of what ahavas Yisroel means. It's upsetting to see how misguided people are.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics