Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Picking at scabs what do I do

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 12:42 pm
My son got bit and since then he’s been scratching and then when a scab forms he picks it off leaving a shiny red mark. On his cheek, and both legs.

I don’t know what bit him. I notice the bites a few hours after we are out.

Is there anything I can get for my son to stop picking? I’m gonna have to ask my husband to help me cut his nails because when I do it alone he won’t stay still or force his hand away.
He will be 2 in august so knowing him he won’t understand the point of “don’t scratch if you don’t want a scar”.

Thanks

Stars

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 12:43 pm
You can put bio oil on the scars if you want

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 12:43 pm
I have a daughter a little younger then him. You can explain not to pick it causes a boo boo. Put socks on his hands if he scarcthes. Use benadryl cream and also some kind of bug spray. Probably mosquitos. You don't want him to have scars.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 12:47 pm
Thanks!
Knowing him, he’s able to tear off the socks from his hands. But I will try that and Benadryl cream.

What’s bio oil and where can I get it?

amother
Opal

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:00 pm
Good luck. I'm 25 and my mother never did get me to stop.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:48 am
My daughter was doing this. Same age- she'll also be 2 in august. I put her in pants instead of shorts until they healed (wont help with the face one but at least for body parts that can be covered by clothing....). I tried telling her not to pick or scratch at them but then she just laughed and wanted to do it more so I just stopped mentioning it and put her in long pants. And yes, put bug spray on from now on when you go out to try to prevent the bites.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:02 am
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
I have a daughter a little younger then him. You can explain not to pick it causes a boo boo. Put socks on his hands if he scarcthes. Use benadryl cream and also some kind of bug spray. Probably mosquitos. You don't want him to have scars.

Tou can put socks on a baby's hands, but for a two year old that doesn't work. Most children pick at scabs for a while, then just naturally stop. (A few never really stop.) Covering with clothing is a good distraction. Scars at this age aren't likely to be too serious.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:08 am
Bandaids with cool/cute animals on them that he wants to keep on?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics