Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Update 9/3: USPS tracking says delivered, but didn't receive
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:56 pm
I’ve had it many times with USPS.
It usually turns up a few days later.
Seems like it says delivered prematurely.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I did open a claim with USPS. They sent back an email saying I should check around the mail area and ask neighbors and closed the case. Even though I made it perfectly clear that I had already done that. I think if anyone is going to have a claim on USPS it should be the sender because they are the one who paid for the shipping, which they hopefully also insured. In any case I tried re-opening the claim with USPS telling them that they did not actually answer my problem, but they just sent me some impersonal reply that my tracking number shows it was delivered so it was obviously delivered and case closed.

Wow! I’m sorry to hear that. With all the issues we have had with UPS, b’H they did at least process the claim. For us it needed to be a combination of us and the shipper involved (which was again easier as it was family). We had to open the claim, but then they also had to submit some documentation. Perhaps you can try with USPS claim again? Or try asking the seller specifically to open a USPS claim - clarify that you do not doubt they shipped the item, and are only requesting they submit a claim on USPS as you did not receive it? Perhaps if they realize that you are not trying to get them to reimburse (which understandably they might be worried about if they are a home business and did ship the item), they will help you? Frankly there must be a way - USPS is not perfect and even they must realize that it can happen that a package was mistakenly marked delivered or delivered to the wrong place - I think you just have to reach someone who will validate that.
Though no doubt this is VERY frustrating.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:00 pm
But what kind of documentation can you submit that will show that you did NOT receive what they said they delivered?

And yes I reached out to the seller directly before doing any of the other things. I also reached out to them during the process to report back on what USPS said, what I was doing to try to find it, etc.

I don't know how to reach someone to talk to at USPS. Anyone?

SafeAtLast, I did wait a few days. I have waited almost two weeks now. It's gone.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:10 pm
This exact thing happened to me with an eBay package. Proof of delivery, the whole shebang. Package did not arrive. But they had proof it did. There was no recourse.

mfb

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 9:06 pm
Don’t you pay with your credit card on PayPal??
Please contact your credit card company

rmbg

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 9:10 pm
Can you talk directly to the mail carrier and ask if he/she recalls actually delivering it?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 9:18 pm
No, I had a balance on PayPal from an earlier transaction Sad Lesson learned I guess but still this should not happen. I escalated the USPS claim and wonder if they'll admit it's possible they made a mistake.

I have no way of knowing which specific mail carrier supposedly dropped it off, and it's been over a week by now, how would they remember a specific package especially if they thought they put it in the right place?

cbsp

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, I had a balance on PayPal from an earlier transaction Sad Lesson learned I guess but still this should not happen. I escalated the USPS claim and wonder if they'll admit it's possible they made a mistake.

I have no way of knowing which specific mail carrier supposedly dropped it off, and it's been over a week by now, how would they remember a specific package especially if they thought they put it in the right place?

Are there security cameras that you can look through the footage of the time they're claiming it was delivered? Maybe in your building or a neighbor's?

fortunate123

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:34 pm
Are there surveillance cameras in your building? Can you get access to them? (Maybe tell the management that there was a suspected theft in the building). If the package delivery status showed up as delivered before the actual time of the delivery person even arriving that day, you can probably use that as proof that the delivery status for that day and time was in fact incorrect.

scruffy

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:34 pm
cbsp wrote:
Are there security cameras that you can look through the footage of the time they're claiming it was delivered? Maybe in your building or a neighbor's?

We did that for a neighbor for an Amazon package. It was also a small tech item and it came in a padded envelope. We saw the wind pick up and blow the item away.

Are there cars parked nearby? Check underneath them.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:42 pm
I’m so surprised no one said this
It’s a scam!!! The eBay sellers provide a random tracking number, and they keep the item or ship it out to someone else involved in the scam. This once happened to me. Same thing; eBay, usps, PayPal. PayPal ended up refunding us
Good luck!!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:48 pm
OP said it was delivered to her address on the confirmation.

dena613

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 9:01 am
We had this with Amazon and usps.
usps registered it as delivered.I
We told Amazon or never, so they sent us a new one, which we received.

MONTHS LATER we got the other one!!! Banging head

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 9:36 am
Yes, Amazon is known to be very easy to deal with on these things and that is probably why they have taken over the lion's share of retail in the US. Now Amazon has their own delivery service and they take a picture every time they mark something delivered. It may take an extra few seconds but I'm sure it's well worth it - they cover their behind if someone says something was never delivered, and it's also helpful because if it went to the wrong place by accident you can see which wrong place instead of checking 3 neighbors and giving up. I hate that I'm so enmeshed with a mammoth company but it just WORKS.

Anyway, good update: I'm not sure if it's because of PayPal or my own appeal to ebay which I did around the same time, but they changed their reply now and said I can upload a signed affidavit with a perjury warning stating that I never received the item, and Ebay will refund it. That was so much easier than I thought! It was just frustrating trying to get through to that level, and also trying to get through to USPS first. All's well that ends well but that was VERY frustrating, and now I know what to do in the future instead of getting so frustrated. Hopefully that doesn't happen again (especially since they might get suspicious if it happens more than once on the same account) but now everyone here knows too.

Emunah13

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 10:45 am
Call local post office to complain , I get mail from next door or next Block sometimes.

In the future A $400 Arlo security camera can prove they never delivered

Success10

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 11:03 am
Emunah13 wrote:
Call local post office to complain , I get mail from next door or next Block sometimes.

In the future A $400 Arlo security camera can prove they never delivered

I recommend ordering from Amazon this time. Wink

Emunah13

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 11:39 am
or shop local

gibberish

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 11:40 am
Could it be that the item was stolen from outside your door after it was delivered?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 11:47 am
gibberish wrote:
Could it be that the item was stolen from outside your door after it was delivered?

It is a central mail dropoff area for a group of homes. Typically receiving at least a dozen packages per day. No one else was missing any packages.

Emunah13

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 11:54 am
Paying extra for UPS shipping may be worth it
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics