Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Sukka hopping nonsense

avigayil

Post Thu, Oct 20 2005, 6:09 am
I really hate to be a killjoy, but during yontif I noticed something a litle annoying. Kids, and parents with their kids, were coming around with bags and collecting candy or whatever people had to offer.
Even a few years ago, people did not let their kids carry bags around with them. This to me really destroys the mitzvah of the sukkah. To me, this is 'Halloween early.'
AmI wrong? What do you think?

RedVines

Post Thu, Oct 20 2005, 6:23 am
Wow, I never heard of such a thing! Bags? no way.
Succah hopping-yes. but doggie bags- are a no!
I would be very annoyed, what is the message?

hardwrknmom

Post Thu, Oct 20 2005, 6:44 am
As kids we always went "Sukkah hopping" but it never entailed taking any kinds of food from anyone!

elisecohen

Post Thu, Oct 20 2005, 6:53 am
It was a big problem in our old neighborhood. My DH would take our kids around on the organized sukkah hop and I would stay home in our sukkah to make sure that when kids came they came in, had a bite and made a layshev basukkah instead of just running in, stuffing a bag, and leaving.

This is one of those areas of chinuch I just don't understand--who could think this was acceptable? They always make clear when sukkah hops are organized that it is for the sake of going, visiting the sukkahs, and making a good set of brochos.

Tefila

Post Thu, Oct 20 2005, 7:55 am
Quote:
Succah hopping-yes. but doggie bags- are a no!

Ditto

Post Thu, Oct 20 2005, 9:27 am
I agree. but I was at s/o's house late in the afternoon. all the kids around had been eating junk all day. one of the older girls was going across the street to a neighbor's succah, and another girl wanted to go. she asked her mom. her mom said yes, but that she couldn't eat any more junk, so she could take it w/ her.
so I was thinking.... on the one hand, I don't like the trick-or-treat aspect of it, but I also don't want my kids eating all that junk in a few hours time.
hmmm... I still have a few years to think about it.
parents should really limit the # of succos that they let their kids "hop" to.

thebestmommy

Post Thu, Oct 20 2005, 9:34 am
We call these kids "Succah Chappers", instead of "Succah Hoppers", because they try to "chap" as much nosh as possible.

baby's mom

Post Thu, Oct 20 2005, 11:00 am
thebestmommy
Very Happy

chavamom

Post Thu, Oct 20 2005, 12:55 pm
Wow. Glad this 'minhag' hasn't spread here. We just get kids (mostly bochurim) that come around and sing/dance from sukkah to sukkah. BH!

Rivka

Post Thu, Oct 20 2005, 1:31 pm
Don't get them here.

shanie5

Post Thu, Oct 20 2005, 7:28 pm
one of my friends told me today that her husband stays in the succah and makes everyone give a dvar torah!! I like that one.
as for the nosh- just give out one to a person as they come in. or leave sliced cake for them- theyre not gonna take tons of that home.

Tefila

Post Thu, Oct 20 2005, 7:29 pm
Quote:
one of my friends told me today that her husband stays in the succah and makes everyone give a dvar torah!!

Ditto there too Wink

Mandy

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 3:22 am
Quote:
We call these kids "Succah Chappers", instead of "Succah Hoppers", because they try to "chap" as much nosh as possible.

Hey, thanks for explaining that. We thought our daughter was just faking a russian accent. Very Happy

Pearl

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 4:29 am
not enough succot here to hop!!!!

elisecohen

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 5:17 am
Hey, we were able to have a hop with only 3 sukkahs on the route! Everyone ended here since we're closest to the shul (and have the biggest sukkah), then the moms and kids stayed to play and nosh while the Tatties headed off for afternoon daf yomi. It was very nice and the weather was perfect, boruch Hash-m.

avigayil

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 7:21 am
Thank you for the responses everyone.

I think this candy grabbing thing is symptomatic of another phenomenon...American excess.
We live in a very wealthy suburb and kids are just given lots of things without question. It is still better than our non-frum counterparts, but there are a lot of kids here who just get whatever it is that they want.

Anyway, that is another topic. Gut shabbos everyone!

Rivka

Post Sat, Oct 22 2005, 11:07 am
Just thinking over sukkos, if it hasn't got to "trick or treat" yet then we are doing ok.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sat, Oct 22 2005, 7:48 pm
I don't think that happens here either, kids just go to see the sukkahs.

raizy

Post Sat, Oct 22 2005, 9:16 pm
I am very happy that it didnt come to mtl yet. here pple usally freinds only come and look at your sukkah. no eating etc.

chen

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 4:00 pm
where we lve there are few private sukkahs, but parents take their kids shul-hopping on simchas torah to collect candy. yes, carrying actual shopping bags. not the cute little mishloach-manot size, but actual shopping bags of the type you get from the supermarket to haul your milk and potatoes home.

this is definitely a chinuch issue. We forbade shul-hopping to collect candy, and when they collected from our own shul our kids were taught to share the loot with: the police officers patrolling the block; their elderly grandparents; other kids in their class; their cousins who were too old to collect; etc. we also allowed them ONE circuit around the shul--no double dipping. I've seen kids go around three and four times to the same people and collect each time.

avigayil, I think you may be right about this being a symptom of american excess, although my neighborhood runs the gamut from people who get weekly boxes from the food gmach to people who give the shul a sefer torah in honor of their wedding anniversary. it is not what you would call an 'affluent' area and conspicuous consumption is not the typical style. but this candy mishegoss...I have no explanation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics