Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My 28 month old is getting speech therapy behind my back
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:47 am
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
My daughter 100% was not a candidate for therapy in any form, but all the therapists who used to visit her playgroup used her as a peer model so she got lots of small group time.

I thought playgroup was a small group in someone’s home, do they usually have therapists on staff?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:48 am
Maybe you signed a form without realizing OP? It is in your ds best interest to receive those services if he is eligible. There is no stigma at that age.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:54 am
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:
Sounds like a case of mistaken identity?
yes I asked about that to the teacher she said that leah spoke about my son like she knew him. But I still plan tn ask

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:58 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Maybe you signed a form without realizing OP? It is in your ds best interest to receive those services if he is eligible. There is no stigma at that age.

This is what I'm wondering also. If they knew the location of the child (the playgroup address) and they knew the hours the child is there, that already indicates OP provided that information.

OP, you did not mention where you live so everyone is replying based on their own experiences. I've had a child receive speech therapy in school and it was a little while before the therapist ever called me; it's not a given that every agency has a policy which requires a phone call or email or other communication before services start.

You also said:
amother [ OP ] wrote:
this year the place said their trying to find someone for me but theyr haveing a hard time so at the moment hes haveing nothing.

The place (the agency?) told you they are trying to find a therapist to work with your son. You did not tell them not to. You did not tell them you wanted it to be home based again according to the information you provided us. It sounds to me like you did provide your consent. The agency should have informed you when the therapist was starting.

Why not call the agency and discuss with them and find out exactly what happened here?

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:05 am
Something seems off.
How did she know about your child and where he is? You must have signed consent. But then again she should have introduced herself to you before she started.
Please keep us posted.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:33 am
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:
Something seems off.
How did she know about your child and where he is? You must have signed consent. But then again she should have introduced herself to you before she started.
Please keep us posted.

Originally when she had her child approved, she probably provided the name of the school. Sounds like the child attends the same playgroup as last year. Although she opted to have home based services last year, they probably still had the name of his playgroup in his file.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:43 am
I thought playgroup was a small group in someone’s home, do they usually have therapists on staff?

It might be part of a larger formal setting.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:58 am

In NYC, the school/child care center doesn't hire the therapists. They work for the agency on behalf of the child.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 9:05 am
As an SLP in NY, I need parental consent to work with a child..otherwise its illegal to work with them. Someone should have let you know they started. Therapists need to be in contact BEFORE the first session

Also, its not enough for agency to tell an SLP that they were assigned a case, start working. You need parent consent. I have been assigned cases, and when I call parent, they say no, they dont want kid to get
A teacher giving consent is not enough

Secondly, for a therapist to pull a "peer" in another session is also on the "need consent from parent" gray area. I found out a SEIt used to pull my son from class with another boy, because my son was doing well in class. I found out when my son complained that he was missing stuff in class ( was playtime stuff. But still.) I never gave approval for a strange adult to take my son to another room. I called the teacher yelling that I dont give consent; especially since I didnt know who this teacher was

(Even if she was a frum woman, she wasnt an adult I knew. )

OP, you need to stop ASAp, tell the teacher therapist needs to STOP till you speak toher. Speak to therapist, ask if you gave consent ( also, as an slp working with a toddler, she shouldve been in touch with you!!) You didnt, you are allowed to give her a little tough time for starting without discussing with you.school consent is not enough. If necessary, speak to the agency as well and talk about this. Therapy without a parent consent/ approval to start is a HUGE nono in the field.
Also not something to brush away and say eh its fine, no one was harmed..
Because you also have a right to know whats going on in sessions. Even if it seems like therapy is going well..you have a right to know your childs goals etc. if you have issues with a therapist, or what they are doing, you are allowed to stop and switch. You arent married to a therapist.
Please post updates

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 9:09 am
If you were concerned about your son's speech and had previously requested a therapist, and had signed consent for that, it is possible that the speech therapist was coming in to do an assessment. Where I live and I work in a school, the procedure is the child is referred for speech therapy, the parent signs a consent form. Then when the therapist comes in, they will see the consent form and do an assessment on the child. This might be a few sessions, depending on their co-operation. Once the assessment is completed, the therapist will usually feedback to both the class teacher and the parents explaining the targets and giving a programme to follow.
Op, I would clarify with the class teacher what is going on before getting worked up.

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 9:37 am
Or is Leah a therapist hired by the preschool to come in and do activities with the kids to promote language in the classroom? Are you sure it was a session and not just an informal group interaction?

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 9:47 am
When I worked in a playgroup there was one boy who had speech therapy. It took place in one corner of the classroom while the other kids had free play time. Other children would gravitate towards the speech therapist and would ‘partake’ in the session because it looked like so much fun. I could see a Morah telling the child’s parent “your daughter had a great time with the speech therapist today,” but it wasn’t really her lesson.

I also want to agree that children that young generally don’t mind being singled out to have another Morah. All the kids are jealous of the one on one attention.

bsy

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 10:24 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
As an SLP in NY, I need parental consent to work with a child..otherwise its illegal to work with them. Someone should have let you know they started. Therapists need to be in contact BEFORE the first session

Also, its not enough for agency to tell an SLP that they were assigned a case, start working. You need parent consent. I have been assigned cases, and when I call parent, they say no, they dont want kid to get
A teacher giving consent is not enough

Secondly, for a therapist to pull a "peer" in another session is also on the "need consent from parent" gray area. I found out a SEIt used to pull my son from class with another boy, because my son was doing well in class. I found out when my son complained that he was missing stuff in class ( was playtime stuff. But still.) I never gave approval for a strange adult to take my son to another room. I called the teacher yelling that I dont give consent; especially since I didnt know who this teacher was

(Even if she was a frum woman, she wasnt an adult I knew. )

OP, you need to stop ASAp, tell the teacher therapist needs to STOP till you speak toher. Speak to therapist, ask if you gave consent ( also, as an slp working with a toddler, she shouldve been in touch with you!!) You didnt, you are allowed to give her a little tough time for starting without discussing with you.school consent is not enough. If necessary, speak to the agency as well and talk about this. Therapy without a parent consent/ approval to start is a HUGE nono in the field.
Also not something to brush away and say eh its fine, no one was harmed..
Because you also have a right to know whats going on in sessions. Even if it seems like therapy is going well..you have a right to know your childs goals etc. if you have issues with a therapist, or what they are doing, you are allowed to stop and switch. You arent married to a therapist.
Please post updates

As far as I know, it is not legal to take another child out with your student. you are only allowed to see students assigned to you. In the classroom, I think it is okay.

imaima

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 10:32 am
amother [ Vanilla ] wrote:
Or is Leah a therapist hired by the preschool to come in and do activities with the kids to promote language in the classroom? Are you sure it was a session and not just an informal group interaction?

That was my thought.

Also, it's not marijuana behind your back, it's speech therapy...

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:04 am
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
If you were concerned about your son's speech and had previously requested a therapist, and had signed consent for that, it is possible that the speech therapist was coming in to do an assessment. Where I live and I work in a school, the procedure is the child is referred for speech therapy, the parent signs a consent form. Then when the therapist comes in, they will see the consent form and do an assessment on the child. This might be a few sessions, depending on their co-operation. Once the assessment is completed, the therapist will usually feedback to both the class teacher and the parents explaining the targets and giving a programme to follow.
Op, I would clarify with the class teacher what is going on before getting worked up.

I would def think maybe this was the case

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:15 am
imaima wrote:
That was my thought.

Also, it's not marijuana behind your back, it's speech therapy...

Sorry that’s not ok. No one should be doing anything behind a parent’s back. Saying it’s just speech therapy doesn’t make it ok. Can we please not encourage such a culture it’s dangerous.

SYA

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:15 am
A therapist cannot start seeing a child until the parent gives consent. Even when you consent for services to an agency, the assigned therapist legally must call you to introduce herself, get consent for her to work with your child, review goals or anything specific you want prioritized. Without that call/text or email she cannot legally work with your child.

Either the agency is dishonest and then I would tell EI I want to change agencies as I have a therapist from another agency. (find another agency to request the switch to). Or the therapist is dishonest and you need to tell the agency and therapist as well that you do not allow said therapist to work with your child. I would keep asking my child if the therapist is taking him out as the teacher may not tell the truth and at this point I don't trust the agency or therapist either. I would give the teacher a heads up (in writing line text or Whatsapp) that If it continues you will look into other school options and take out your child. You will not be liable to fill the spot or pay as she broke contract.

How did she find out your child's location?
How did the teacher allow without confirming with you?
What if you had not authorized her and had actually "banned" her?

I would not continue with a therapist who started into he wrong foot. What else is she doing illegally? How can you trust her to work on the best interests of your child if she can't follow basic law and etiquette? Is your child safe with her?

As for other students joining, school hands out on the first day a form if you consent for your child to join a friend. You can never allow, allow sometimes...and be specific. Without that consent the therapist cannot take your child along.

SYA

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:19 am
If EI would know what happened they would not allow that therapist to continue to work with your child and may even block her from working for them. In extreme cases they take the contracts away from the agency too.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:47 am
watergirl wrote:
The place (the agency?) told you they are trying to find a therapist to work with your son. You did not tell them not to. You did not tell them you wanted it to be home based again according to the information you provided us. It sounds to me like you did provide your consent. The agency should have informed you when the therapist was starting.

Why not call the agency and discuss with them and find out exactly what happened here?
yes I did he's actually getting ot at the playgroup. It's more like a daycare center. And he's not cooperating with her because he doesn't like being pulled out. They tried convincing me to do speech there too but I said no because I don't want him missing out on class time when they are doing a fun activity. So yes the director at the center and the agency know that I don't want him pulled out

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:52 am
amother [ Vanilla ] wrote:
she took him out of the classroom one on one.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics