Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Shira- Israelis vs americans on reish names

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:43 am
I am having such a hard time. My husband is Israeli and is particular with sounds in general, especially names. I want to use shira, but it bothers him that I don’t say reish properly. Many names, reish, or even without, bothers him the way I say the name. I need a girl name. He likes ahuva, I like Ahava. We both agree on maya, but I see now that it’s really not a Hebrew name. Spelled מאיה, it doesn’t have an actual meaning. Any advice? I see that it can be confusing to other kids to have me say American shira and they all say Israeli shira. It will get annoying. Is maya shira really weird and give it as a second name? I reallly connect to name shira. Also, Bayla, I gave up using this name because husband prefers Hebrew names, not Yiddish.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:46 am
My husband is also israeli and thats why we stayed away from a reish name lol!

Can I ask what circles you are part of? That can influence some name choices we give you

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 1:44 pm
A big rabbi once told me that Maya is a good name. Shem tov, he called it. I think it means something to do with water.

Otherwise, can’t you just chalk different pronunciations up to accent? Like how in English some would pronounce Harry “Ha-rry” and others would say Hairy?

As for Bayla, what about Bella instead? I know I’ve heard that among Israelis, and it means the same thing.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 1:48 pm
Hodaya?
Noa?
Nava?

chagil

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 2:12 pm
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:
A big rabbi once told me that Maya is a good name. Shem tov, he called it. I think it means something to do with water.

Maya is מיא that means water. So it’s 2 different spellings.

Otherwise, can’t you just chalk different pronunciations up to accent? Like how in English some would pronounce Harry “Ha-rry” and others would say Hairy?

As for Bayla, what about Bella instead? I know I’ve heard that among Israelis, and it means the same thing.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 2:16 pm
If you don't want to use Maya how about Ma'ayan?

I don't think the baby/child will have a problem with your pronouncing Shira slight differently to your husband. There are probably a lot of words you pronounce differently. She'll just put it down to your accent.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 4:06 pm
IM american and DH israeli as well
by the 4th kid it wasnt even a consideration- we named the baby yair and we each pronounce it very diffeerently but by this point who cares..

chagil

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 5:28 pm
amother [ Dill ] wrote:
My husband is also israeli and thats why we stayed away from a reish name lol!

Can I ask what circles you are part of? That can influence some name choices we give you

I live in America. I’d say modern orthodox- not yeshiva. I am not into modern Israeli names. I think we plan to move to israel at some point. We have an Adina sara and Eliana Tehila. Anael I think is hard for Americans to say.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 5:30 pm
chagil wrote:
I live in America. I’d say modern orthodox- not yeshiva. I am not into modern Israeli names. I think we plan to move to israel at some point. We have an Adina sara and Eliana Tehila. Anael I think is hard for Americans to say.

This is so weird because one of my kids has the exact same name as your kid and my other kid has half your kid's name. I thought my combinations were so unique lol.

chagil

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 5:32 pm

Which rabbi told you? ☺️

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 5:50 pm
chagil wrote:
Which rabbi told you? ☺️

Rav Simcha Shlomo Levin, son of Rav Aryeh Levin.

chagil

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 5:56 pm
Rav Simcha Shlomo Levin, son of Rav Aryeh Levin.

Do you know how it is spelled? מיא as in water in Aramaic? I think most people spell it מאיה

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 7:08 pm
chagil wrote:
Do you know how it is spelled? מיא as in water in Aramaic? I think most people spell it מאיה

I’m almost positive he spelled it מאיה but this was years ago.

chagil

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 7:59 pm
I’m almost positive he spelled it מאיה but this was years ago.

Are you 100% sure? I’ve been feeling it’s not a strong enough name to use. But I love the sound of it.

bobeli

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 8:36 pm
Not to derail but R Chaim Kanievsky doesn’t like Shira and recommended many people to change their name
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names